It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ponchos

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I lived in Peru as some may know. During the years of military dictatorship, we were forced to use ponchos instead of jackets for school.

All kids were ok with that. Easy to use and great in winter.

Real ponchos aren't supposed to be waterproof. Andean people don't go out when it rains.

I have so many memories where a good poncho was present.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Gravelbone

It's ok...i'm not even sure what cool is anymore...do the kids even say that any.more? Last I heard everything was 'lit', but maybe they've moved on from that too....

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Ha! Yes it definitely worked out for you! I dated the same girl through the 11th and 12th grade, she ended up pregnant about 5 months after we broke up, had twins, got addicted to speed to lose her baby weight, had to give up her kids to her mom, got pregnant again from a different guy a year later, twins again. It was a good thing we broke up when we did.

Whoa!! You dodged that bullet!
Two sets of twin...........

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

That's not a poncho my friend, but it actually looks bad a$$.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Not a poncho neither. A poncho only has 1 hole for your head.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Mora knives...now there's another item people need a half dozen or more of! Have one of those in every vehicle.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Gawd, in Lima it never rained at all...like never, ever, never.

We designed some infrastructure down there, and being engineers we naturally figured on storm sewers. They told us to delete them...never rains in Lima! I was stunned, but for all the time I spent down there over the past two years, nope, it never rained, not even once. Really weird for a place which is right on the ocean.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Snarl

Mora knives...now there's another item people need a half dozen or more of! Have one of those in every vehicle.

You can roll the poncho and tie it to the back of your horse seat. Even if you never use it, you'll look way cooler when you ride your horse or bike.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Trueman

Gawd, in Lima it never rained at all...like never, ever, never.

We designed some infrastructure down there, and being engineers we naturally figured on storm sewers. They told us to delete them...never rains in Lima! I was stunned, but for all the time I spent down there over the past two years, nope, it never rained, not even once. Really weird for a place which is right on the ocean.

Hahaha...., sometimes they have what they call "garúa", very fine rain and it hits your face before it gets to the ground.

My father spent months wearing a raincoat the first time in Lima, watching the gray sky and waiting for a big one.

But that's mostly in Lima. The highlands are so different and forget about the rainforest, it got that name not for nothing.

The southern coast if full of deserts, some years when "El Niño" hits, rain makes all the desert green and full of wild flowers too. So beautiful. Those years, people bring the cattle all the way and let them feast all the season.
edit on 28-1-2021 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 02:54 PM
link   
We made our hasty fighting positions out of a hole in the ground and a poncho cover.

Very useful item.

The poncho liner or "woobie" is God's gift to the US Soldier.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 04:27 PM
link   

In my 72 hour bag, I have a poncho and a jungle blanket (poncho liner).

Wear them during the day. The poncho acts as a windbreaker or rain coat, and the liner can be worn to keep you warm (you’d be surprised how cold you get standing in the rain for 19 hours, even when the temp is above 50).

At night, the poncho can be used as a tent, and the liner as ground cover insulation.

I also have one of those thick wool ponchos you’re talking about, and it is the best thing ever.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I spent a bit on mine. Czech republic army issue. It's easy to put on, warm and very durable. Works as a blanket or to put on the ground to sleep on. Also came with a dry bag to put it.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm looking at the Thermarest Honcho Poncho. Seems like a good piece of gear. Insulated, water resistant (for the most part). Can be used as a blanket, shelter and pillow...or even a liner for a rubberized poncho.

It's been cold here recently. Not ultra-cold, but cold...teens and low 20's (some single digits). My alpaca wool poncho keeps me warm for brief excursions out into the wind and cold. It keeps my shoulders and upper arms warm (where I normally get cold), and leaves my lower arms (where I seldom get cold) free and available to do any task I need to.

Tonight I just played around a little and put a loose belt around my torso just above my waist. Oh man, it's like wearing a parka without the restriction.

As a piece of survival gear, I don't think I'll ever be without one of these things! And here I thought it was just a novelty and piece of art for a wall hanger! I wouldn't even mind getting some of the ones made from corn fibers. They're thinner and made more for hot weather, but again, super functional.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 08:50 PM
link   
They are also great for riding horses. I think the key is being made of wool. Over the last couple years, I've been collecting old boiled wool clothes at thrift stores to wear around the farm. Some of them look like hell but they can take in an enormous amount of water before losing the insulating qualities which is critical where I live as it rains about nine months a year. I have proper rain gear but it's so sweaty inside and hard to move around in. The wool clothes made a huge difference to my comfort in the winter plus wool never really smells bad. I almost never wash them and I can't smell farm on them... others likely can...not my problem, lol.

I haven't had a poncho since I was a kid (though this has inspired me to keep my eyes open for one)

posted on Jan, 29 2021 @ 12:23 PM
link   
In my younger days i wore a poncho made from an old army wool blanket when Elk hunting in North Idaho. It always seamed to be wet in the woods and i even did bivy camps overnight. always stayed warm with the wool poncho not always dry but warm lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join