It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question Everything

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Hello to all you beautiful and intelligent ATSers.

It’s looking more like we’re moving into an era where we’re not meant to ask questions--rather to shut up and listen to the authorities. Those who challenge the unilateral flow of information are being called out as either stupid, crazy, or dangerous, and even fellow citizens are stepping in to silence others.

Having worked with Saudi students for more than ten years (an example--it's not only Saudi), I believe that this type of attitude prevails there, and critical thinking does not. The Saudi theocracy can’t tolerate anyone who questions the sovereignty of the royal family or Islam, so it crushes it out. Sadly, critical thinking is a learned behavior, and if we are not careful we will lose that crucial ability. We need a nation of critical and free thinkers in order to innovate, create and thrive; not drones who will shut up and obey.

Most of us grew up believing in Santa Claus--even our dear parents will lie to us when it’s expedient.

So please, friends, next time you hear a person question the narrative, refrain from anger and judgement and rather engage in dialogue.

Question everything!

edit on 26-1-2021 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I wouldn’t take anything said at face value, but then we wouldn’t be here if we did would we?

It’s good to question things and there is no such thing as a dumb question, if you don’t know, ask away.

But one thing I have found since going down the rabbit hole, is don’t just cling to the belief that the alternative narrative is the correct one either. Look at all angles.

Strange times we find ourselves in and there are many indications that they are going to get stranger. Stay alert, and keep an eye on developments regularly.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
... if we are not careful we will lose that crucial ability....

Not sure we haven't already arrived at this point.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

But one thing I have found since going down the rabbit hole, is don’t just cling to the belief that the alternative narrative is the correct one either. Look at all angles.

This really is a good point. There's such a thing as going off the deep end with questions as well.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Definitely we should check ourselves before we wreck ourselves

I think there's still time.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

It is a variation of, “Think for yourself, question all authority”.

I added the “all” because most don’t think that way.

Tim Leary was right on that one! Good words to live by!

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
I wouldn’t take anything said at face value, but then we wouldn’t be here if we did would we?

It’s good to question things and there is no such thing as a dumb question, if you don’t know, ask away.

Strange times we find ourselves in and there are many indications that they are going to get stranger. Stay alert, and keep an eye on developments regularly.

This is what I was thinking, people seem to go from question everything, especially mainstream narratives and authority, to believing and putting all there eggs into a basket of nonsense, often times easily provable nonsense! we are our own worst enemy sometimes because no matter how smart we think we are, we always find the most convincing evidence in the places where we want it to be, and dismiss the rest or fight harder against it.

The biggest battle in life is against yourself, not anybody else!

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

... if we are not careful we will lose that crucial ability....

Not sure we haven't already arrived at this point.

I AM sure that a good portion of our citizenry already has. The evidence of that, and is only but a small example: how many people welcomed the lockdowns and mask mandates and number of people gathering limits back in March.

Not only has about half the country lost their critical thinking skills, but they now WANT to be told whom to hate and silence each day. They’ve become addicted to anger, hate, and self-fighteousness.

The country wouldn’t be in this current mess if this weren’t so.
edit on 26-1-2021 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant

I think most of us are here because at some level we do question authority/official narratives, and maybe that's also why we have some members who believe in some.. out there ..
theories.

But asking one's self what the opposition might say or even what the crackpots might say is never a bad thing.

True, we really do struggle most with our own selves.

A true intellectual curiosity will question its own self as well, I'd think.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   

a reply to: valiant

A true intellectual curiosity will question its own self as well, I'd think.

That would be nice, but when you have an ego to protect, a selfmanufactured image, cultish hero worship, a schizophrenic vainglorious culture, inherent tribalism...then... "Houston, we have a problem."

But in my biz, all those human weaknesses are a blessing. I do sometimes question the morality of what I do. But we should all thank God for giving us the power of rationalization. So...**** it, give em what they want!!

edit on 26-1-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Ego is often one's own biggest enemy! And an impediment to our own progress often as well--though, paradoxically, I also believe in the importance of individuality
This is the downside of too many questions--more questions lol.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Ego is often one's own biggest enemy! And an impediment to our own progress often as well--though, paradoxically, I also believe in the importance of individuality
This is the downside of too many questions--more questions lol.

My problem is having a keen appreciation of absurdity; the questions get lost in the mix.

The bard said it a long time ago.... "All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts"

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I said before that I believe we are moving towards an era where we absolutely need to get vaccines just to survive. I fear the price is going to be total conformity.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

I do believe in human endurance (both physically and mentally)--so I really do think that, no matter what, we will make it (as a species).
I hope it never comes to conformity-conformity by its very nature shuns genius/innovation.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 12:53 PM
link   

This is a really interesting take on the idea of conformity--Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron"
"The year was 2081, and everyone was finally equal.."
www.bpi.edu...

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 12:55 PM
link   

olaru, with your your propensity for seeing the absurd (a great quality as well!) you might enjoy the above story also.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Sadly, critical thinking is a learned behavior, and if we are not careful we will lose that crucial ability. We need a nation of critical and free thinkers in order to innovate, create and thrive; not drones who will shut up and obey.

This is why I've always had concerns about the billions of Chinese citizens who hand over their free will to a communist government which desires to control every aspect of their life, from social credit scores to a state controlled internet and state controlled media. I'm a big fan of Chinese culture and its ancient history, the problem is with how the Chinese government chooses to operate and how that type of authoritarian government is spreading. Not only that, people are applauding the rise of authoritarianism in western nations and I find that deeply troubling. That's also why this recent election was so important... we were at a crucial tipping point, and without someone willing to defend the ideas of liberty and freedom, the world may not be able to go back to anything like it once was.
edit on 26/1/2021 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   

True. Consider: With the advent of 3-D printing....who the hell knows what is real?

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 01:54 PM
link   
nvm

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 01:59 PM
link   

This is a really interesting take on the idea of conformity--Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron"
"The year was 2081, and everyone was finally equal.."
www.bpi.edu...

Yes, my life changed when I read "Player Piano" by Kurt Vonnegut

top topics

<<   2 >>

join