It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stimulus Recipients

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I would like to pose the question to you all in general, who is the stimulus for AND who should (in your opinion) get the stimulus.

I had a conversation with someone who hadn't gotten their stimulus recently and they were a little disgruntled about it. This person I know well. They've lived on the government dollar for most of their life. He/she is a recovering addict and has been in shelters, homes, addiction-programs, received SNAP/CA, medical/dental coverage, bus-fare allowance ect

They haven't had a single job, not even a little part time gig carry bags or walking dogs since their addiction rehabilitation almost 12 years ago. Before then, they were a stock broker as a matter of fact, and if you've seen Wolf of Wall Street, that life was pretty common among the brokers..at least here in New York City. Drugs, hookers and fine steaks, but I digress...........

His/her parents, because he/she is not a tax payer or really contributes much to society, claimed them as a dependent on their tax return, thus not allowing this person to receive a stimulus, and has done so for years in the past (normal practice). He/she was upset with the parents because those actions lead to him/her not receiving their stimulus.

His/her argument was that the stimulus check was made for everyone and SPECIFICALLY for people like him/her. In a polite manner, I said that he/she lived in a welfare bubble where they would obviously have this kind of understanding and notion that the stimulus was specifically made for him/her. They lived almost half their life waiting for a check from the government.

I went on to explain the following:

If I have to pay $x,xxx amount of dollars in taxes to pay for the Stimulus Bill, to receive $600, what makes you, a non-tax paying citizen, more entitled, if not equally entitled to the $600 stimulus payment?

I went on to elaborate what a non-tax paying citizen was. In my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong (or if I coined a new term), a non-tax paying citizen would be someone who takes more from the system than what they give back in production (ie taxes like Income Tax, Corporate Tax ect). So in this persons situation, the only taxes they could vouch for is whatever taxes they paid on that $1 candy bar (Sales Tax), as well as some other minor taxes that we all get hit with. But if you take out of the system $5, but only pay into the system .10 cents, your "personal GDP" is in the negative...

Their response would have been predictable, offended. Their argument basically boiled down to the following:

The stimulus was made for people like me to spend and "stimulate" the economy, hence the word stimulus.

So I still pose the greater question to the ATS community...

Who is the stimulus for AND who should (in your opinion) get the stimulus.

Please have a healthy conversation, as we all have different opinions. Lets listen to each other and respect one anothers opinion.

And thank you in advance for contributing. Your insight will be read and appreciated

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Influential358
I would like to pose the question to you all in general, who is the stimulus for AND who should (in your opinion) get the stimulus.

I had a conversation with someone who hadn't gotten their stimulus recently and they were a little disgruntled about it. This person I know well. They've lived on the government dollar for most of their life. He/she is a recovering addict and has been in shelters, homes, addiction-programs, received SNAP/CA, medical/dental coverage, bus-fare allowance ect

They haven't had a single job, not even a little part time gig carry bags or walking dogs since their addiction rehabilitation almost 12 years ago. Before then, they were a stock broker as a matter of fact, and if you've seen Wolf of Wall Street, that life was pretty common among the brokers..at least here in New York City. Drugs, hookers and fine steaks, but I digress...........

His/her parents, because he/she is not a tax payer or really contributes much to society, claimed them as a dependent on their tax return, thus not allowing this person to receive a stimulus, and has done so for years in the past (normal practice). He/she was upset with the parents because those actions lead to him/her not receiving their stimulus.

His/her argument was that the stimulus check was made for everyone and SPECIFICALLY for people like him/her. In a polite manner, I said that he/she lived in a welfare bubble where they would obviously have this kind of understanding and notion that the stimulus was specifically made for him/her. They lived almost half their life waiting for a check from the government.

I went on to explain the following:

If I have to pay $x,xxx amount of dollars in taxes to pay for the Stimulus Bill, to receive $600, what makes you, a non-tax paying citizen, more entitled, if not equally entitled to the $600 stimulus payment?

I went on to elaborate what a non-tax paying citizen was. In my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong (or if I coined a new term), a non-tax paying citizen would be someone who takes more from the system than what they give back in production (ie taxes like Income Tax, Corporate Tax ect). So in this persons situation, the only taxes they could vouch for is whatever taxes they paid on that $1 candy bar (Sales Tax), as well as some other minor taxes that we all get hit with. But if you take out of the system $5, but only pay into the system .10 cents, your "personal GDP" is in the negative...

Their response would have been predictable, offended. Their argument basically boiled down to the following:

The stimulus was made for people like me to spend and "stimulate" the economy, hence the word stimulus.

So I still pose the greater question to the ATS community...

Who is the stimulus for AND who should (in your opinion) get the stimulus.

Please have a healthy conversation, as we all have different opinions. Lets listen to each other and respect one anothers opinion.

And thank you in advance for contributing. Your insight will be read and appreciated

If the staring position is that payments should be targeted the stimulus cheques probably aren't the answer anyway.

Regardless if if the position is that the money should go to the most in need, the most effected by the pandemic, the biggest contributions or what ever sub section of society you pick there is almost certainly going to be a better method than stimulus cheques.

The point of stimulus cheques is (or at least should be) to throw money into the economy and hopefully boost demand. There is also different argument about if that is the right response at all at the moment.

Sorry not sure if that answers your question is more about my view of the method rather than my view about the who.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Influential358

My overwhelming feeling is that I don't care who gets it as long as they're a private citizen. Congress having my tax money to use for their pet corporations and foreign interests is far more offensive to me than a drug addict derelict. At least the addict may have some small bit of gratitude and will put it into the economy.

Also, I think your friend's parents are commiting tax fraud unless parents can claim their 30-something children as dependents.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I got a partial check this time around, and last.

I've had a full time job since the day I could get one (almost 20 years ago)
I went to college, paying for it out of my pocket as I went.
I've never taken a dime of welfare.
My source on income was not hurt at all from all of the lock down nonsense.

No idea why they "gave" me anything, but I'm not looking forward to paying it back a thousand fold.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 04:10 AM
link   

The fundamental truth is that there should be no stimulus at all, and there should be no "need" for a stimulus, because the actions taken that have destroyed the economy and people's livelihoods never should have happened.

And even if it were absolutely necessary and proper to shut down businesses and put people out of work, then the government should be directly and proportionately compensating those people -- specifically and exclusively -- for the government's "taking" from their rights and property. It's just one of many checks and balances on government's power, and ensuring it is only exercised when necessary and proper, and ideally only temporarily while the crisis exists.

There is also the matter of state vs federal matters. A sticky widget in itself. The feds didn't shut down the economy and put people out of work. The state governors and health departments did that. It was encouraged and recommended at the Fed level though, so there is that. How much should be on the states and how much should be on the feds? Especially because many states have far more stringent regulations than other states, so the people are not affected to the same degree.

However, if we're just going to hand out checks, then everyone is equally entitled because we're citizens. That's the only criteria at this point apparently. Doesn't matter how much or how little one pays in taxes. If the government's gonna do it, then it must do it for everyone. Equal application of the law.

For those who don't need it, there's nothing stopping them from giving it to someone who does need it. Plenty of people are hurting. Plenty of families are hurting.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 05:49 AM
link   

My better half never received either stimulus check, even though they earn less than $45,000 per year as an elementary school teacher, file their taxes early every year, and haven't switched bank accounts or anything.

It is so infuriating that people who didn't need it got it, and people who do need it (and should be getting it) do not and there does not appear to be any recourse for them. Hopefully when filing taxes some of this gets sorted out but I'm not very optimistic...

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

The fundamental truth is that there should be no stimulus at all, and there should be no "need" for a stimulus, because the actions taken that have destroyed the economy and people's livelihoods never should have happened.

And even if it were absolutely necessary and proper to shut down businesses and put people out of work, then the government should be directly and proportionately compensating those people -- specifically and exclusively -- for the government's "taking" from their rights and property. It's just one of many checks and balances on government's power, and ensuring it is only exercised when necessary and proper, and ideally only temporarily while the crisis exists.

There is also the matter of state vs federal matters. A sticky widget in itself. The feds didn't shut down the economy and put people out of work. The state governors and health departments did that. It was encouraged and recommended at the Fed level though, so there is that. How much should be on the states and how much should be on the feds? Especially because many states have far more stringent regulations than other states, so the people are not affected to the same degree.

However, if we're just going to hand out checks, then everyone is equally entitled because we're citizens. That's the only criteria at this point apparently. Doesn't matter how much or how little one pays in taxes. If the government's gonna do it, then it must do it for everyone. Equal application of the law.

For those who don't need it, there's nothing stopping them from giving it to someone who does need it. Plenty of people are hurting. Plenty of families are hurting.

I feel like the stimulus should have been targeted to specific businesses shut down by government actions. For example, if your restaurant was shut down due to government mandate, then govt should be compensating that business and employees of said business directly..

The reality though is that no stimulus was needed because there was no good reason to shut down the economy.

Simply reopening economy would do far more to "stimulate" the economy than handing out small checks.

Most people will continue to use masks and other measures to protect themselves.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I feel like the stimulus should have been targeted to specific businesses shut down by government actions. For example, if your restaurant was shut down due to government mandate, then govt should be compensating that business and employees of said business directly..

The reality though is that no stimulus was needed because there was no good reason to shut down the economy.

Simply reopening economy would do far more to "stimulate" the economy than handing out small checks.

Most people will continue to use masks and other measures to protect themselves.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 09:31 AM
link   
In all reality, 600 or 1400 isn't going to help the intended targets. People who's work has been shut down or restricted so severely they cannot stay afloat.

If they give out 1400 I'll receive it again. I've been going to work everyday like normal. Not really affected. Not worth the hassle to refuse or mail it back to the govt. Last round we helped out some charities and spent the rest at local businesses. Probably do the same next time around.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I have received only 1 stimulus check for $1200.00. Should I be looking for more? If not, they can keep their pittance for BofA, Goldman Sachs and Jamie Diamond.
edit on 22-1-2021 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

I would feel like a racist if I took any more.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 11:24 AM
link   

My opinion is as follows:

If you receive disability, you should not receive a stimulus check (you already get a check from the government, and you have no costs such as traveling for work, gas etc.

If you are not a citizen of the United States, you should not get a stimulus check.

My experience during this Covid crisis has been this:

I have worked through the entire thing
I have to shop at 4-5 different stores to keep food costs down, and my son who is 18 is at home, more food, more tp. He looked for a job, but nothing yet. So my costs have gone up.

I have bought ppe for my surgeon, myself, the AAA guy who charged my car battery because he couldn’t find any, family members.

I have at least 10 reusable masks, that I have to wash and replace frequently.

I feel jipped. While I worked, people received 600.00/wkly for unemployment, and I saw many of them traveling, vacationing, whining about the amount.

The whole mess was handled incorrectly from the start IMO.

The workers who put themselves at risk everyday should get it, and the youth over 18 stuck at home should get it.

As far as drug addicted dude living at moms’ what a waste of a life smh!

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

And an excellent opinion it is.

My sister works the front desk at a metropolitan heart hospital and she got nothing for her service and risk dealing with the public there. They cheated her because of her job title only. She wasn't authorized because of it.

But she is a racist, like me.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   

It's for stimulating the local economy, not your debt load or savings.
I spent 400 of mine at a local book store which needs help, and 100 at a local restaurant and the other 100 I can't recall.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

Thank goodness you didn't have to spend it on food or rent.

Sorry about that. You said only $400 of it, didn't you?

Folk on SS don't deserve it even though the crooked bankers have been stealing our retirement earned interest for these past 12 years.

Give it to the snowflakes and grifters holing up in daddy and mama's basements.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

I am fortunate that i did not have to use it for food or rent yes. Both my wife and I have been working through this whole thing and I thank God for that . and hope that it will continue.
I just think if you dont have trouble with rent or food you should spend it locally in small businesses.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I can only talk personally, we are tax payers and work in government, yes the first stimulus we got it months later, while my daughter and her boyfriend got theirs on the first week after the signing and they also got the second stimulus the same way.

My daughter is a nurse, my son in law works for the city.

I have not received anything yet, soo do not know how it works or who got priority. I guess is for everybody that pays taxes

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I don’t understand why some of you say that people that are disabled shouldn’t get it.
Of course, recently i became disabled.
Do you realize all the medical bills, pharmacy and accessories like a walker that I had to purchase or pay.
Don’t we pay in when we work in case things like this happens or we reach social security age?
Some of you sound like disabled people are getting a fortune.
I’m here to tell you that I draw $850. 00 a month.
Back when I was working I made almost that a week when I worked 7 days a week.
It’s a stimulus check to be spent to stimulate the economy.
Too bad I had to spend it on past due rent and bills.
Trying to recover from being off work for two years has really set me back.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Stimulate the economy? Nah, I’m gonna stimulate my stocks. Gonna put it all in cryptocurrency.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Doesn't matter how much or how little one pays in taxes. If the government's gonna do it, then it must do it for everyone. Equal application of the law.

Several of my family got no stimulus last time, or this time. They knew they were not going to get a check, because their income was over the cut off. They are all hard working American citizens. They have been providing for their families, and giving back through the community pantry and charity closet. They used to provide meals for the homeless in the park on Saturdays, until they were shutdown.

Many working American citizens did not get a stimulus check. Some give more, some give none, and some just take. It has always been thus. I can only hope that the takers stay in the minority.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 03:17 PM
link   
my 90 year old mother on hospice living comfortably on SS and her investments in a retirement apartment and received both checks.
I take care of her finances, so she will be using the $$$ for rent and medical bills primarily, since she doesn't get out anymore.
She laughed when she got the check, and suggested I give it to someone who needs it. Bless her failing heart!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join