It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mirin Source?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Pickled fish...MMMMMMMmmmMMMmmMMMmmm!! (Walleye/Pickerel, Pike, Halibut, Cod...Oh GAWD!!).

I love pickled everything...I think. I did see some pickled 'something' in Asia that I'm not sure I would have liked, but you get the idea.

I like to can smoked Cod, that's really good stuff.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I swear you both ought to do a podcast together or something, each of you has lived pretty interesting lives compared to a lot of people myself included. It's obvious somebody needs to impart some wisdom and knowledge to the world.

Hell if Joe Rogan can get 60 Million...

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
I swear you both ought to do a podcast together or something, each of you has lived pretty interesting lives compared to a lot of people myself included. It's obvious somebody needs to impart some wisdom and knowledge to the world.

My recipes are exactly that.

MINE.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

My wife was the source of all things Asian when it came to cooking in our home.

I had to go look at her emails, but she bought her Mirin (what she called the "real stuff or Mirin Sake") here...

Takari Mirin

Hope that helps.

Aannnnnnnnd entering my birthday for "Age restricted content" ... ohhhh that's very nice.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 11:45 PM
link   

What are you using it for?

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: putnam6

My recipes are exactly that.

MINE.

Well # then start a food delivery service lol cause I agree with FCD I am all over most things pickled, reminds me of my great-grandmother, she could serve a lunch of her homemade canned and pickled items and every one of them was excellent.

I've read some of FCD's recipes late at night and it makes me want to go grocery shopping right then and I hate grocery shopping...

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Then how will anyone ever know, and more importantly appreciate, the culinary delights they are missing out on?

Simply eating a food is one thing, but watching it be prepared, seeing the hard won techniques and care in preparation...and then eating it, is a whole other thing.

In fact, I think I enjoy the cooking part even more than the eating it myself part. If people enjoy it, I could prepare a gourmet meal and then just go have a sandwich and I'd be perfectly happy.

ETA - Scallops would be an exception though! I could make those things all day, every day, and I still can't wait to get to get them...'into mah BELLEH'!!!

edit on 1/19/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I get mine at Mitsuwa market, they have a few stores across the US.

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I get mine at Mitsuwa market, they have a few stores across the US.

I honestly didn't know Mitsuwa was a chain. My fav store!!

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

They have all the crazy Japanese stuff I want and can't find anywhere like real wasabi, actual ponzu and authentic dashi.

edit on 19-1-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They have all the crazy Japanese stuff I want and can't find anywhere like real wasabi, actual ponzu and authentic dashi.

I just love how clean and well presented all the food is there.
Yes they have very unique hard to find items too.

Real wasabi, you mean not that green dyed horseradish!

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Real wasabi, you mean not that green dyed horseradish!

No, the actual root imported from Japan, you need a special grater for it as well but it's prefect with sushi and Kobe beef.

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I just love how clean and well presented all the food is there.

This is one of the reasons the Japanese are some of the healthiest people on the planet. Food to the Japanese is as much about the appearance and the "experience" as it is about the flavor and certainly the quantity. As a result of this the Japanese tend to eat slower than most other cultures, and this translates into eating less food, thus better health.

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   

This is one of the reasons the Japanese are some of the healthiest people on the planet. Food to the Japanese is as much about the appearance and the "experience" as it is about the flavor and certainly the quantity. As a result of this the Japanese tend to eat slower than most other cultures, and this translates into eating less food, thus better health.

Most Asians are significantly healthier than their western counterparts for a number of reasons.

Less meat, more soup. Considerably less sugar in their diet, raw fruit is your dessert.
Warm drinks, and many do not drink beverages during meals, they "drink" soup only.
Many foods are quickly cooked retaining nutrients.

This sounds bad but in many Asians cultures they will tell you if you are fat. Yes it is fat
shaming but it seems to be working to keep most people under a certain weight. You sure don't see
1000lbs Japanese sisters on tv over there. Being heavy/unhealthy is not glorified.

Edit to add, sumo wrestlers are big & glorified but are also quite healthy.
www.businessinsider.com...#:~:text=That's%20why%20scientists%20think%20sumo,%2C%20h eart%20attack%2C%20and%20stroke.&text=The%20secret's%20in%20their%20name%3A%20sumo%20wrestler.

edit on 19-1-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   

We could probably debate the "most Asians" part, but I understand what you're saying. Life expectancy for Asian cultures like Chinese, Malaysians and Indonesians, among others, are nowhere near the Japanese numbers.

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Become friends with a brewer or supply rep!

They will let you see their secret menu of discount prices on kegged/bottled beer and wine.

Saki is a “specialty” item here and the dealers are ‘all elbows’ and try to keep competitors out. And they ain’t even Asian!

Glad that you have found some! It is not like you need a whole bottle every time you cook.

And hey, quit being so cheap and let everyone know that you did not skimp on ingredients... makes for good dinner conversation!

🍾
edit on 19-1-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Stoopid autocorrectives...

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

And hey, quit being so cheap and let everyone know that you did not skimp on ingredients... makes for good dinner conversation!

Busted. **Sigh** Yeah, you got me. Admittedly, I am kind of cheap; even my wife tells me that. I'm not proud of it, nor ashamed of it; it's just kind of how I am. I rarely ever tell people how much something cost...unless I got a screaming deal on it. I don't really get any satisfaction out of trying to impress someone with how much something costs, particularly food. On the other hand, I really do like to take something cheap / common and making it taste like a million bucks. I'm far more likely to tell someone their meat cut is available in any store for $10 bucks than to tell someone the steak they are eating was airlifted in and was $150 bucks. I'd much rather impress someone with the quality of something over the cost of something.

So yeah, you're right (seriously). It's a shortcoming I guess.

And, being a cheapskate sometimes has some real negatives. It often translates into procrastinating. And then later I'll ask myself why I didn't do that sooner. Our big barn is a great example. I hemmed and hawed about having that built for 5 years; I'd just make the little one do (I said). Now that it's done I wish we would have done it 15 years ago! It's an affliction. Overall, I think that mindset has served us well (i.e. savings and investments), but it does have it's downfalls.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join