It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mirin Source?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Anyone know a good source for real Mirin, Japanese cooking wine in the USA? Also known as "Hon Mirin".

NOT talking about Aji-Mirin or any number of other "seasonings", I'm looking for the real deal. You can find Aji Mirin in about every grocery store, but this is not really mirin at all, but something made to sort of taste like it. Real (Hon) Mirin has Sake in it, and runs about 14% alcohol. Fake Mirin's have corn syrup and salt (which isn't in the real stuff).

I can't find this stuff anywhere, and to get it imported from Japan costs 2x the product cost, plus customs.

Any foodie help is greatly appreciated!!

Note - There must be somewhere to get it, economically, because every Japanese restaurant has it or else they wouldn't be in business.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

If you are near a Hmart they would probably have it.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:55 PM
link   

My wife was the source of all things Asian when it came to cooking in our home.

I had to go look at her emails, but she bought her Mirin (what she called the "real stuff or Mirin Sake") here...

Takari Mirin

Hope that helps.

edit on 18-1-2021 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'll second the H Mart, I've found stuff in there that I've never found anywhere else aside from the Japanese grocery in Charlotte.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Anyone know a good source for real Mirin, Japanese cooking wine in the USA? Also known as "Hon Mirin".

NOT talking about Aji-Mirin or any number of other "seasonings", I'm looking for the real deal. You can find Aji Mirin in about every grocery store, but this is not really mirin at all, but something made to sort of taste like it. Real (Hon) Mirin has Sake in it, and runs about 14% alcohol. Fake Mirin's have corn syrup and salt (which isn't in the real stuff).

I can't find this stuff anywhere, and to get it imported from Japan costs 2x the product cost, plus customs.

Any foodie help is greatly appreciated!!

Note - There must be somewhere to get it, economically, because every Japanese restaurant has it or else they wouldn't be in business.

You can order Hinode brand Hon Mirin on Amazon. If you don’t want to patronize Amazon, you can order it online from other small, specialized Japanese cuisine suppliers. Probably not very likely to find it locally unless there’s a Japanese-majority community nearby.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

I'll second the H Mart, I've found stuff in there that I've never found anywhere else aside from the Japanese grocery in Charlotte.

If they don't have it they can probably order it too.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I've never seen it there. They have lots of Aji-mirin and mirin "flavored seasoning", but no real mirin.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Ask someone at your local Japanese restaurant. Tell them you can't find this ingredient, but you love cooking Japanese food. Japanese people love sharing their culture, and I bet if the patrons are actually Japanese and using real mirin, they'll sell you a bottle or give you a recommendation.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

WOW!! That looks like the right stuff!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

BTW - Amazon does sell that, but it's like 3x the cost of the link you provided (typical of amazon). I had overlooked it previuosly because the have it in with the cheap stuff and i can't read Japanese.

Lumenari hits it out of the park...AGAIN...(as usual)!!

edit on 1/18/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Yeah, but look at the shipping costs!

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Ask someone at your local Japanese restaurant. Tell them you can't find this ingredient, but you love cooking Japanese food. Japanese people love sharing their culture, and I bet if the patrons are actually Japanese and using real mirin, they'll sell you a bottle or give you a recommendation.

My wife did that a long time ago and then found out that what FCD is asking for can mostly only be bought commercially in the US. So unless you want to make a commercial account and buy 19 liters of it....

Maybe it has changed since then and I am in NO WAY qualified to actually speak about the topic.

Just sharing what I know.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I did ask one place and they get it from a distributor. Checked them and they do wholesale only.

Lumenari found some for me though!

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Same exact thing I found.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Your wife was a wise lady!

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:20 PM
link   

True. The other thing to keep in mind is that Hon Mirin is about 14% alcohol--similar to fortified wines like Sherry and Port-- so in the US a liquor license is needed to sell it. In large grocery stores that have a liquor selection, it would be in the aisle with ports and Sherries.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer

True. The other thing to keep in mind is that Hon Mirin is about 14% alcohol--similar to fortified wines like Sherry and Port-- so in the US a liquor license is needed to sell it. In large grocery stores that have a liquor selection, it would be in the aisle with ports and Sherries.

Depends on the State, but yeah. Here' in CO it's considered an "ingredient" and therefore no liquor license is required. Angostura Bitters, for example, is like 47% alcohol (94 proof) and they can sell it in grocery stores.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:39 PM
link   

DOH!!!

Shipping is $25 per unit!!!! Product is only $7 bucks!

Bummer!! I was geeked too!! May still oder it though because it is 700ml per unit, which is way better than the 200ml units.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:44 PM
link   

DOH!!!

Shipping is $25 per unit!!!! Product is only $7 bucks!

Bummer!! I was geeked too!! May still oder it though because it is 700ml per unit, which is way better than the 200ml units.

She said her only other option was making a commercial account and ordering 19 liters with a vastly higher shipping cost.

That was a long time ago but I remember the conversation.

What I DO know is that I never bothered to go toe to toe with her on Asian dishes.

I'm a damn fine cook and it would have taken me a lot of time and energy to even figure out half the stuff she did.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Yeah, and the problem with that stuff is, it doesn't keep forever. Three months tops. So bulk doesn't work. (unless you're going through gallons of the stuff every week).

ETA - I would have loved to have met her! (love to meet YOU too someday...hopefully!). I'm sure we would have had a great time together in the kitchen! The key to the best Asian dishes is getting the exact ingredients, and resisting the urge to cut corners or substitute, hence my Mirin inquiry. I'm wanting to make some pickled Daikon radishes (among other things...love Asian food!). Pickled Japanese food generally require both Mirin AND rice vinegar, so where most people just substitute rice vinegar for Mirin (yuck!) you can see why this totally wouldn't work!

edit on 1/18/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Yeah, and the problem with that stuff is, it doesn't keep forever. Three months tops. So bulk doesn't work. (unless you're going through gallons of the stuff every week).

ETA - I would have loved to have met her! (love to meet YOU too someday...hopefully!). I'm sure we would have had a great time together in the kitchen! The key to the best Asian dishes is getting the exact ingredients, and resisting the urge to cut corners or substitute, hence my Mirin inquiry. I'm wanting to make some pickled Daikon radishes (among other things...love Asian food!). Pickled Japanese food generally require both Mirin AND rice vinegar, so where most people just substitute rice vinegar for Mirin (yuck!) you can see why this totally wouldn't work!

I cook from where I have been.

German food? Gottit.

Lived there, done that.

French food? Some thing.

English food? Same.

A rather spectacular Tex-Mex? Got it handled... down to the Barbacoa.

Never got to really know the Asian side of things... just did a few TDY's there.

I do know what it supposed to taste like though...

We will have to meet someday just because you are a person worth meeting.

For me this month? I am brewing a Octoberfest German lager which is going to turn into an ale because I am brewing it in the wrong season but I have all the ingredients...

Pickling fish because I wanted some...

Canning smoked trout because it was time for it and I make a year's worth when I do it...

I am late a season but am trying to get back on track.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join