It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would MLK think of these times

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Finally, he'd be sick to his stomach at the cultural backwardness of single parenting, materialism, ant-intellectualism, and petty violence that has come to define the black community.

Well those trends seem to be spreading, wouldn't say they are isolated to the black community anymore!

One slight difference seems to be support of the non married woman.

Among solo parents, 42% are white and 28% are black, compared with 55% of cohabiting parents who are white and 13% who are black.

These gaps are driven largely by racial differences among the large share of solo parents who are mothers. Solo moms are more than twice as likely to be black as cohabiting moms (30% vs. 12%), and roughly four times as likely as married moms (7% of whom are black). Four-in-ten solo mothers are white, compared with 58% of cohabiting moms and 61% of married moms.

www.pewsocialtrends.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yea it's his niece my bad

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   
He would probably be appalled that BLM has become an excuse to loot Jordan's and burn down black owned businesses. He would probably say that the blatant division in our society is caused from the constant narrative spewed by the media and echoed by Democrats. Malcolm X said the biggest threat to blacks were liberal whites. He was right on the money.

edit on -06:002021Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:45:59 -060031America/Chicago000000Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:45:59 -0600MonAmerica/ChicagoJan by PorteurDeMort because: Punctuation

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   

He'd probably think these times were great.

MLK is no saint.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   

The principles of nonviolent resistance were founded in and worked best in societies with an underlying Judeo-Christian ethos. Even though Gandhi was not Christian, he was resisting an Empire that was, so the idea even applies there.

Today we have a society that has been encouraged to shed Christianity and its mores as old-fashioned and superstitious. Those old principles no longer apply and are not at work in society. Attempting nonviolent resistance is not the same option it used to be. It won't be met with the same respect it was because in a less Christian world, force is moved back to the forefront which brings out violence.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

MLK is no saint.

Yes, MLK was no saint just like all men. He was a known philanderer. However, that does not change the great work he was doin bringing societal change.

I don't think the black community would be as screwed up today if King was not assassinated. There'd be more respect and self-reliancy imho. The black community was making some serious strides until after his assassination and the acceptance of liberal politics.

King was against immigration, so don't think he'd be supporting unfettered immigration. He'd probably support higher minimum wages; he started doing more poverty marches which is what he was doing when he was killed IIRC. He'd be against the global wars we've involved ourselves in.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   
No, MLK wouldn't.

According to this professor, he'd possibly be a white supremacist with a "colonized" mind.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   

He'd be thinking to himself that democrats still haven't changed a bit.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   

MLK is no saint.

He wasn’t a saint but that doesn’t discount that he was one of the greatest thinkers of our time.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I loved how King talked about poverty being a form of oppression similar to racism.
I totally agree.
Unfortunately many people want to cure poverty with racist means.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: LastWatcher
a reply to: choomsuba

You are out of your mind if you think for one second, MLK would have condoned Donald Trumps cult of personality tactics.

I agree I don’t think he would have like Trump, maybe controversial, but I don’t think he would have liked Obama either.

You're more than likely wrong. He most definitely wouldn't have supported obama's racist and divisive tactics, they went directly against what Jr. preached. Most of obama's base were probably too afraid to admit they didn't like him because they were afraid of what would happen to their career.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

You are out of your mind if you think for one second, MLK would have condoned Donald Trumps cult of personality tactics.

I agree I don’t think he would have like Trump, maybe controversial, but I don’t think he would have liked Obama either.

You're more than likely wrong. He most definitely wouldn't have supported obama's racist and divisive tactics, they went directly against what Jr. preached. Most of obama's base were probably too afraid to admit they didn't like him because they were afraid of what would happen to their career.

Aren’t we saying the same thing?

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

MLK is no saint.

Yes, MLK was no saint just like all men. He was a known philanderer. However, that does not change the great work he was doin bringing societal change.

I don't think the black community would be as screwed up today if King was not assassinated. There'd be more respect and self-reliancy imho. The black community was making some serious strides until after his assassination and the acceptance of liberal politics.

King was against immigration, so don't think he'd be supporting unfettered immigration. He'd probably support higher minimum wages; he started doing more poverty marches which is what he was doing when he was killed IIRC. He'd be against the global wars we've involved ourselves in.

Harvey Weinstein has made some great movies, too.

I like his movies, but him or WTF he thinks, not so much.

That's my point...

edit on 1/18/2021 by MykeNukem because: rapist

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Yep, and that's what I get for reading your comment while noshing on bacon and cheddar Cheez-It Duos and not paying as much attention as I should. I'm sorry.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:54 PM
link   

When you subsidize a thing, you get more of it. Hence the increase in single parenting. The welfare system is designed to encourage lack of families. So you get more single parent families with it.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Yep, and that's what I get for reading your comment while noshing on bacon and cheddar Cheez-It Duos and not paying as much attention as I should. I'm sorry.

As long as bacon was involved all is forgiven

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

MLK is no saint.

Harvey Weinstein has made some great movies, too.

I like his movies, but him or WTF he thinks, not so much.

That's my point...

And King is known for his social activism.... what he did in his personal life isn't all that relevant.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Much of what MLK said and did was inspirational. I especially liked his letter from the Birmingham Jail.

Would he have bought into Plandemic? Would he be wearing a mask today?

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I wonder how long a Donald Trump & Martin Luther King debate would last on TV?

One impassioned for his cause, the other impassioned for himself.

Who would walk out last?

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort
He would probably be appalled that BLM has become an excuse to loot Jordan's and burn down black owned businesses. He would probably say that the blatant division in our society is caused from the constant narrative spewed by the media and echoed by Democrats. Malcolm X said the biggest threat to blacks were liberal whites. He was right on the money.

Uh huh.

Let us say boldly that if the violations of law by the white man in the slums over the years were calculated and compared with the law-breaking of a few days of riots, the hardened criminal would be the white man. These are often difficult things to say but I have come to see more and more that it is necessary to utter the truth in order to deal with the great problems that we face in our society.

- MLK Fall 1967

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join