It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use of Two Ways Now Being Supressed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I had high hopes that during times like these that unlicensed two-way radio communications would be a good fall back, a prepper redundancy, as well as necessary during a communications black out. I felt that on such frequencies, because of the lack of use, one could use them for uncensored free speech. I invested a lot of thought and time into the idea and have been using the CB, FRS, MURS and WiFi frequencies to test it.

Well, that idea came from years of prepping and positioning myself where I could ride out the storm I knew was coming. That was the old normal point of view. Here is a taste of the new normal in regard to unlicensed two way communications.

Likewise, individuals operating radios in the Personal Radio Services, a category that includes Citizens Band radios, Family Radio Service walkie-talkies, and General Mobile Radio Service, are prohibited from using those radios “in connection with any activity which is against Federal, State or local law.”2 Individuals using radios in the Amateur or Personal Radio Services in this manner may be subject to severe penalties, including significant fines, seizure of the offending equipment, and, in some cases, criminal prosecution.3

Zero Hedge Article

Of course that applies to the licensed HAM operators, who I'm sure will be in lock step with the government.

That FCC memo does say that free speech is allowed on those frequencies, but it sure sounds like they will be cracking down on broadcasts on the open airwaves.

It is important to remember that merely monitoring any of the frequencies will offer little workable intel, as the officials use an encrypted "trunk" system including local police, EMS, fire and rescue. All you could do is establish your own local network for people to report on any local situation of concern. However, that is now under scrutiny and could be considered unlawful use depending on how they portray it was used. According to the memo, if they determine you were using some kind of code language, they can use that against you, regardless of the message transmitted.

I guess 10-code, Q-codes, CB jargon and trucker slang is illegal now, as these are coded language. It could still be used, but now in complete stealth mode. You are allowed to use the MURS frequencies for Morse code and digital streams, but that will probably get you noticed in a hurry and under investigation.
edit on 18-1-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

if it gets to the point where you have to fall back on ham, cb radio's to communicate, are you really gonna care what the government says you can or can't do?

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 07:07 AM
link   

I think they still may be very useful in a world gone dark. Where there is no law except for the law of the jungle.

Then you would have to be very careful about who you were talking to on the other end, and even more careful of who may be listening.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
if it gets to the point where you have to fall back on ham, cb radio's to communicate, are you really gonna care what the government says you can or can't do?

We're already there.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 07:37 AM
link   
You could use references that only you and the other radio users would understand. Local things like place nicknames, times and events, stuff that sounds like normal BS chatter.

A ten code or Q code with different meanings might work, until they tie it into something and go after you.

Using directional, line-of-sight, horizontally polarized antennas at low power would help keep you more secure from monitoring.

Combining multiple frequencies with repeaters on unlicensed frequencies is illegal, but might help misdirect the FCC and their operatives.

You could buy a license for business use on the VHF band that allows you to use higher wattage output and to encrypt it. Get a frequency that nobody would pay attention to and use digitally encrypted signals to incorporate into your home WiFi network.

It could also serve as a way to provide misinformation to those who might be listening. You could confirm that they are listening and maybe out some snitches at the same time.
edit on 18-1-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Very interesting. Thanks for the thread.

I've been thinking about buying a set of walkie-talkies but I don't know a good and affordable option.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 07:51 AM
link   

How does that work if the person that comes across the radio, has zero knowledge of what it is, and turns it on by accident?

If the world goes dark, the young and healthy are going to be the ones that are most likely to survive.

They are of the tech age, but some of them have never actually seen a radio. They could still provide you with useful information, you and anyone else that is listening, but all those safety measure would not be able to be utilized.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

We're already there.

some say that we are, in some aspects i agree.

but one thing i learned a very long time ago, if your wanting to talk about something that you really don't want others to hear, you don't do it in a manner or over a means that they can hear it.

if you do communicate in a fashion they can hear, it should be something that doesn't matter that they hear and may confused them, and you shouldn't care.

if necessary to talk about something that is sensitive, there are some very creative ways to do it.

now free speech is something entirely different, which what is happening now. as i said, i agree, and there may come a time to get creative.

edit on 18-1-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
I've been thinking about buying a set of walkie-talkies but I don't know a good and affordable option.

Get yourself a set of Midland radios. It's all you need. You'll want one set aside for a base station and you'll want one for each person you're gonna talk to. Chances are, the people you want to talk to aren't gonna be 5 or 10 miles away from you. They'll probably be less than a mile away.

Midlands are advertised to have some stoopid long broadcast range. Truth is, they're maybe good for a mile-and-a-half and that's with a clear line of sight. But ... it's enough. I go hunting with mine and several friends. We setup about a half-mile apart and we can all hear and talk in the woods just fine.

Product Comparison Page

edit on 1812021 by Snarl because: Link Added

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I created this thread seven years ago on this very subject and have a website I created that is linked form there.

Thread on CB Network

That one has some good ideas for techniques and methods.

This one is related.

No Two Way Communications . . .
edit on 18-1-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Just looking over the old CB network thread and I noticed one of my posts is about what's happening right now, plain as day.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:09 PM
I did have one awful thought about this whole idea, that is, "What if terrorists are thinking alone the same lines?" The government would be all over the CB messing with people trying to create a network. Hell, even the term "network" suddenly sounds criminal. Bad thoughts, be gone!

edit on 18-1-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Corrections

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I put you in touch w the emergency ham operators of Michigan before.

ER affiliation in ER's.
Gov Channels
ER info
Evac info
Up to minute update
Etc.

They work w DHS, FEMA, Emergency Broadcast System, CDC, NOAA.etc

My assoc are where you're talking, and I know I connected you once w Mich State team/Ham radio relayers.

They are in place today...and I spoke with one of the heads last month.

They can use folks like you. Hams are 1 of the only means of broadcast in a emp say or disaster, weather, attack etc...

edit on 18-1-2021 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I started looking into HAM radio a while ago.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I remember. The most I did was look into the local organizations and program the nearest repeaters in to my two way to listen in. I've caught some cool activities they were engaged in, some good info to look into after hearing it on the repeater.

I got a good friend into it that I worked with, he can get me hooked up. It would be cool to see what he thinks and have something to work on together. But he's a grouchy old fart, still I can handle it.
edit on 18-1-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I could see that if an emergency was declared and they cracked down, you wouldn't even get to use cool handles like "Rubber Duck" or "CB Savage. You'd have to identify yourself and your location if they even let you use it.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

I started looking into HAM radio a while ago.

A lot of preppers have had that attitude and sugget getting the HAM ticket and going the legal route.

I've always felt that the amateur license was like being on a voluntary watch list and in an exclusive "club" that was not so useful for the average Jane or Joe that could go and buy unlicensed gear and use it out of the box.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry to much about being listened to on ham, cb, 2to2 rigs. But before you start running your mouth on social media or conspiracy web sites, you might want to find out who actually owns them. wink wink....
edit on 18-1-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

That's funny! But serious and so true.

But it's not like they don't know about what were are discussing anyway. I'm sure they know all the angles possible.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thanks. That's what I had in mind. I'll check it.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
Thanks. That's what I had in mind. I'll check it.

Let me add this then:
The camouflage model is real easy to lose in the woods if you drop it. LOL
If you leave one in a pocket and your wife washes it ... ah well ... it's a goner. LOL

Most importantly, the models are cross-compatible with one another from what I've been able to tell. My buddies and I all have different models and they work together just fine.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join