It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live Streaming With OBS Studio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   
From what I have seen OBS is what a lot of people use to live stream.

I have been playing around with it and it seems to be pretty solid.

Anyone here do any live streaming? What software do you use and where do you stream the video to?

I guess YouTube and twitch are the most popular places to stream video.

Any other good alternative out there?

High performance real time video/audio capturing and mixing. Create scenes made up of multiple sources including window captures, images, text, browser windows, webcams, capture cards and more. Set up an unlimited number of scenes you can switch between seamlessly via custom transitions.
Open Broadcaster Software

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I guess it mostly comes down to what you are wanting to use it for.

Twitch is where you go when you want sponsorships.

YouTube for archiving videos for people to watch.

Discord/Twitch for creating a community.

If you really want to rake in the big bucks from idiots donations, create a female 2D avatar streamer.

Check out HoloLive or vtubers and take a moment to realize just how much money they rake in from desperate donations.

Taking advantage of simps is a huge alternative to ever having to work a job.

Edit: I feel like it is a booming business for those that have no problem of taking advantage of lonely people.

Covid must have been a huge boon to this market.

Edit2: On a more technical side relating to the OP, I've noticed OBS having some major issues with indie developer games when trying to record gameplay and even performance issues from running while playing AAA studio games. But again, it depends on what you want to do with it.

edit on 1/17/2021 by Nivhk because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/17/2021 by Nivhk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Nivhk

Thanks for all that, it answered a few questions.

Not really looking to make money from it but that would be nice and a great idea.

Thinking about doing some live streams from my desktop, kinda like Lookner and others do.

Not sure about streaming from out on the street, could I use my android phone somehow?

Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hey! I also use OBS studio to stream on Twitch. I find Twitch to be usable! I guess you have to be careful about including background music in your stream that is copyrighted, though. OBS lets you stream your PC desktop. I also use my PS4, which has a Twitch app, to stream that. I believe there is also a way to stream off of your cell phone.

Some social media is becoming unusable, like Facebook, which has this crazy censorship algorithm IMO!
edit on 17pmSun, 17 Jan 2021 14:47:16 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Not sure about streaming from out on the street, could I use my android phone somehow?

Thanks again.

You can use an app called RTSP Camera Server on your android device. All you have to do is find out the ip address on your phone, and use OBS studio to connect to the stream from the phone with your ip:port info.

I used to stream on justin.tv and streamup.com in the past. OBS was my go to broadcasting suite.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars
I'd recommend Discord to be honest.

Its cross platform and also allows you to screen share with other users or live stream in a server that you can create privately.

With android, you should be able to live stream or "call" similar to Skype I believe through discord.

I think from what I'm understanding what you want to do, Discord may be your best option.

It does have its own built in live stream, but I think premium is required to record, otherwise you may need to use OBS to save streams for later viewing.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I use Streamlabs OBS personally.
pretty much the same. OBS is generally regarded as the best, and its free. Real easy to learn to use and not heavy on the CPU (depending on your components of course). But I have a mid range PC (2070 Super) and have no problem streaming at 60 fps 720p (which is the maximum Twitch allows at the moment anyway)

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   

This....

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for all the good info.

I think I have a discord account I never use. Will have to check it out.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Speaking for myself, You are very welcome.

Should you have any more questions feel free to ask or pm me.

I will help where i know how or point you in another more knowledgeable source.

Happy Streaming

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I know I'm a little late, but one no one mentioned is Streamlabs, it uses OBS but is a bit streamlined and designed specifically for streaming, and is available for smartphones (Both apple and android), PC (Windows and Linux) and Macs.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 07:06 AM
link   
OBS is a great software to live stream, with Elgato it becomes more handy.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 07:28 PM
link   

If you want to watch an ATS members youtube right wing political stream...hear ya go.....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2021 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this. I am using OBS for the last 1 year. It's a nice application. But recently many users have been reported with an issue. That is they can't increase the volume on OBS studio. So, you have good news. I have a solution for those, who are facing this problem. Just follow the simple steps of this link. Hopefully, you will be benefited.

new topics

top topics

join