It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phil Spector, famed music producer and murderer, dies at 81

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Another One Bites the Dust. And there are several SoCal
music people breathing easier right now.
It's the wrong forum, I know Mods... unless you take some of
Phil's old bad habits into literal and serious consideration;
this thread's worth taping on thAT album of fecespecimens.
Mods are solid platinum as usual; moved to people at 1316.
I'll have to dig some to let Spector qualify, but he DID have a pulse..

CHRISTOPHER WEBER and LINDA DEUTSCH
Sun, January 17, 2021, 10:09 AM

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Phil Spector, the eccentric and revolutionary music producer who transformed rock music with his “Wall of Sound” method and who later was convicted of murder, has died. He was 81.

California state prison officials said he died Saturday of natural causes at a hospital.

Spector was convicted of murdering actress Lana Clarkson in 2003 at his castle-like mansion on the edge of Los Angeles. After a trial in 2009, he was sentenced to 19 years to life.

While most sources give Spector’s birth date as 1940, it was listed as 1939 in court documents following his arrest. His lawyer subsequently confirmed that date to The Associated Press.

Clarkson, star of “Barbarian Queen” and other B-movies, was found shot to death in the foyer of Spector’s mansion in the hills overlooking Alhambra, a modest suburban town on the edge of Los Angeles.

Until the actress’ death, which Spector maintained was an “accidental suicide,” few residents even knew the mansion belonged to the reclusive producer, who spent his remaining years in a prison hospital east of Stockton.

Decades before, Spector had been hailed as a visionary for channeling Wagnerian ambition into the three-minute song, creating the “Wall of Sound” that merged spirited vocal harmonies with lavish orchestral arrangements to produce such pop monuments as “Da Doo Ron Ron,” “Be My Baby” and “He’s a Rebel.”

He was the rare self-conscious artist in rock’s early years and cultivated an image of mystery and power with his dark shades and impassive expression.

Tom Wolfe declared him the “first tycoon of teen.” Bruce Springsteen and Brian Wilson openly replicated his grandiose recording techniques and wide-eyed romanticism, and John Lennon called him “the greatest record producer ever.”

The secret to his sound: an overdubbed onslaught of instruments, vocals and sound effects that changed the way pop records were recorded. He called the result, “Little symphonies for the kids.”

in 2003, court and a bottle of Mr. Clairol. Good Riddance.
And yet this guy recorded & produced what many experts
called "The Most Played Song of the 20th Century" ---
'You've Lost That Loving Feeling' by the Righteous Brothers
in 1965. I'm sorry, he still gets a ZERO for trigger discipline:
even with his session personnel. Double Goodbye, Mr. Flips.
edit on 17-1-2021 by derfreebie because: This positive does NOT cancel the big sociopathic yard-wide stripe.

edit on 17-1-2021 by derfreebie because: Mods are usually stuck in a thankless job. TODAY is NOT that day.

edit on 17-1-2021 by derfreebie because: If Stupid is indeed forever-- does it deserve the eternal damnatron?

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Spector was a murdering psychotic maniac. 😈

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: derfreebie

Who cares ?

Another self entitled murderer goes to be worm food

Good riddance

Cody

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I believe 2021 is going to be the year of mental illness.

Unfortunately with my experiences with big pharma and general government procedures, it won't be in a positive way.

Why do we celebrate murderers and psychopaths?

His murder feels like a hollow after thought instead of a critical part of his identify within the first paragraph the OP quotes.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The wall of sound will be missed.

He was a waste of skin though.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Long ago I learned to separate artists from the art they make, it's not the songs fault that the artist/producer was a monster.

I'm glad that phils contribution to music lives on but hope that his name is forgotten in the sands of time.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
Long ago I learned to separate artists from the art they make, it's not the songs fault that the artist/producer was a monster.

Really, that's the only way I can enjoy half the songs I like. You need to accept that sometimes great music is made by people who are really terrible.

top topics

join