It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient 2500 yr Old Map Shows The Lost City of Atlantis is The Eye of The Sahara

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Dumbdowned

Steep and rugged.
Not very shield like.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Not so much. But Santorini...

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Steep and rugged.
Not very shield like.

I added more photos to a previous post.

This one is geological shield from Australia.

Australian Shield

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Maybe he saw Australia?

The Atlas Mountains are not a shield formation.

But many islands in the region of Greece are shield volcanoes.

edit on 2/3/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Maybe he saw Australia?

The Atlas Mountains are not a shield formation.

But many islands in the region of Greece are shield volcanoes.

For seventeen days then he sailed over the sea, and on the eighteenth appeared the shadowy mountains [280] of the land of the Phaeacians, where it lay nearest to him; and it shewed like unto a shield in the misty deep. But the glorious Earth-shaker, as he came back from the Ethiopians,1 beheld him from afar, from the mountains of the Solymi: for Odysseus was seen of him sailing over the sea; and he waxed the more wroth in spirit, [285] and shook his head, and thus he spoke to his own heart: “Out on it! Surely the gods have changed their purpose regarding Odysseus, while I was among the Ethiopians. And lo, he is near to the land of the Phaeacians, where it is his fate to escape from the great bonds of the woe which has come upon him. [290] Aye, but even yet, methinks, I shall drive him to surfeit of evil.” So saying, he gathered the clouds, and seizing his trident in his hands troubled the sea, and roused all blasts of all manner of winds, and hid with clouds land and sea alike; and night rushed down from heaven.

I'm referring to what's in Odyssey and some ancient scholars even think that Odysseus was out in the Atlantic Ocean.
Phaeacians are Poseidon's most beloved descendants and Atlas was one of Poseidon's domains.

If Odysseus was somewhere near Greece, Phaeacians or Scherians would've recognized him as a very close friend.
Odysseus even told them I'm a man from a far distance. Ogygia was also near the Strait of Gibraltar (described as entrance to the sea).

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I'm referring to what's in Odyssey and some ancient scholars even think that Odysseus was out in the Atlantic Ocean.

And he encountered monsters and sorcery and all kinds of stuff.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Good point

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I think it should be pointed out again that Homer never mentions Atlantis in his known writing. Why not bring up some writings by Sophocles, after all he brought up the Phaeacians as well.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   

How would they recognize him? There were very few people that traveled outside there town or village. You couls have someone living 10 miles from you in another town and you wouldnt know anyone there. Much less a sailor who can travel hundreds of miles. It was a major effort to travel to other kingdoms most could not even afford the trip since it could take months. You might have someone on a trade caravan that has even been to distant lands but they would not be meeting the king and would have no idea wht he looked like.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

This thread was sidetracked into a debate that has nothing to do with Atlantis. Plato used myths to teach ideas and partly to obscure his beliefs. You may not know this but his mentor Socrates was killed for his beliefs. so by creating myths he could teach lessons without making direct statements that could be used aginst him. For example teaching people the evils of a state. People could learn his lessons see the corelations to the greek state but if he needed to alll he had to say is i was talking about Atlantis and the story I heard.

This isnt the only myth he created by the way. He also created the Myth of Er which follows his adventures. I think most people do not realize why he used mythos like Atlantis or the Myth of Er. But it was a safety mechanism to keep from being killed. His defence would be its a story what you take from it is up to you.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I also don't want to sidetrack all of this Atlantis discussion, but if you think Socrates was killed because of his beliefs you need to re-read Plato. Socrates was given the choice of leaving Athens or taking his life because he was making fools out of the power elites of Athens. It had nothing to do with his beliefs. His beliefs were just used for the bases of the case against him, but those had nothing to do with it.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   

This thread was sidetracked into a debate that has nothing to do with Atlantis. Plato used myths to teach ideas and partly to obscure his beliefs. You may not know this but his mentor Socrates was killed for his beliefs. so by creating myths he could teach lessons without making direct statements that could be used aginst him. For example teaching people the evils of a state. People could learn his lessons see the corelations to the greek state but if he needed to alll he had to say is i was talking about Atlantis and the story I heard. This isnt the only myth he created by the way. He also created the Myth of Er which follows his adventures. I think most people do not realize why he used mythos like Atlantis or the Myth of Er. But it was a safety mechanism to keep from being killed. His defence would be its a story what you take from it is up to you.

The thing that interests me in Plato's writing here, is that from the outset he says the tale is ‘veritable’ -truthful, in other words. That’s no disguise.

The build up to the tale has always been fascinating for me, the section describing Solon being told this knowledge by the Egyptian priest.
After the priest jokes with Solon about how little the Greeks knew of the ages and deluges, and indeed their own past, he states an incredibly logical reason as to why they don’t know this stuff. He says to Solon also that after they’ve talked about it , he will show him the records of these events in the temple.
Does this imply that Solon learned and retold it, as he SAW proof? Interesting , that bit.
The 9000 years ago bit is not told as a stunned listener, but rather of the acceptance that the Egyptians had records of events this far back .
It’s also not challenged in the dialogue or seen as out of the ordinary either , by learned men.
He also says that you will hear Egyptian names that we recognise as Greek names , as the Nile delta region where the knowledge came from had a close relationship with proto-‘Athenians’.

It’s interesting to me that the dating of this tale coincides with known climate data. Events of such magnitude DID occur in this timeframe. He talks of the Old World, before these events , which would indeed have been a different place , what’s difficult for us to imagine is that this Pleistocene/Holocene dynamic crossover world actually existed , geologically, not very long ago .

a reply to: dragonridr

edit on 3-2-2021 by bluesfreak because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2021 by bluesfreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

How would they recognize him? There were very few people that traveled outside there town or village. You couls have someone living 10 miles from you in another town and you wouldnt know anyone there. Much less a sailor who can travel hundreds of miles. It was a major effort to travel to other kingdoms most could not even afford the trip since it could take months. You might have someone on a trade caravan that has even been to distant lands but they would not be meeting the king and would have no idea wht he looked like.

When Trojan war ended, Odysseus' home coming had gone wrong he went missing for 10 years. He was living with Calypso for 7 years.
It is his last trip before eventually coming home from the land of phaeacians that's where it gets really strange. Talk about their super advanced ship in which it can sail without a pilot, it can take you to a place by knowing what's on your mind.
Odysseus was called a stranger even after he identified himself to everyone in King Alcinous palace. Although it seems they were aware of war at Troy and heard of Odysseus they talk to him as an outlander or man from a far distant place. This is from a king to a neighbor king. Even Odysseus knows himself is in a far distant region.
By tradition many scholars still point Scheria to Corfu.
This is an outright flawed interpretation caused by biased opinions of many ancient and modern Greek scholars.

edit on 3-2-2021 by Dumbdowned because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: bluesfreak

This is along the line(s) i'm thinking. How could anyone know, definitively, how the world was that long ago?
edit on 5-2-2021 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Not quite sure what you mean here? Do you mean geological data? Geology can tell you a lot, and like I’ve mentioned , the Greenland ice core data is our most accurate sample yet for particles of various types, gases etc . All layed down in tens of thousands of years worth of layers . look at the graph online, you’ll see two huge climate spike events at around 12,800 and 11,500. Some serious events of great magnitude occurred worldwide at this time. These events were occurring at the timeframe that was told to Solon in this tale. a reply to: lostbook

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluesfreak
Not quite sure what you mean here? Do you mean geological data? Geology can tell you a lot, and like I’ve mentioned , the Greenland ice core data is our most accurate sample yet for particles of various types, gases etc . All layed down in tens of thousands of years worth of layers . look at the graph online, you’ll see two huge climate spike events at around 12,800 and 11,500. Some serious events of great magnitude occurred worldwide at this time. These events were occurring at the timeframe that was told to Solon in this tale. a reply to: lostbook

I align myself with this theory. It just fits.

No conspiracy theories, just overwhelming evidence to support it.
edit on 922021 by Wide-Eyes because: Meh

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Ok not sure what you mean but they suspect a mini ice age started than possibly do to a meteor impact.Wouldnt really have anything to do with Atlantis at all.

en.wikipedia.org...

These people were around at the time
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Since The structure is about 1700 feet above sea level it must have been a very large tsunami. The Pico Do Fogo in Cape Verde may have been the culprit that generated the tsunami with its 4 mile wide crater. A mountain 4 miles wide and over half a mile high sliding into the ocean thousands of years ago could have caused a wall of water to slam into the western shore of North Africa.

Maybe the structure was at lower elevation in the past.
edit on 10-2-2021 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: eManym

Maybe. So many things we may never truly know which have been lost to history.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   
There's no evidence of any tsunami there.
Tsunamis leave unmistakable and long-lasting evidence.

Harte

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join