It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient 2500 yr Old Map Shows The Lost City of Atlantis is The Eye of The Sahara

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

Right that is a good point there are several shafts that we Know of, two at least and probably more, old Hancock etc lined them up to the position of certain stars that are important to Egyptian mythology which of course would mean that even if the dating could be proven to be wrong there is the stumbling block that the Egyptians somehow worshipped the same stars as this ancient pre dynastic hypothetical pyramid building society so yes they could be different doors (Ceremonial for the soul) in different shafts.

And it is more than possible that Hawas was targeted for his link's to the previous administration meaning his prosecution could have been totally stitched up for political reasons so on that I will bow to your point, if I was wrong then I APPOLOGISE TO HAWAS for taking the side of his slanderers on that point, you make a good point about his prosecution being far from legitimate.

Still I do wonder if he was tempted to sell some items after crying over the lack of funding for that museum of his.

By the way is Hawas Muslim or Copt, if he's Copt that could have gained him some enemy's as well as Egypt has suffered a lot of extremism that leeched into all ranks of government.
edit on 18-1-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: lostbook

I don't think there is any evidence that Atlantis was a real thing.

Thanks, Downer Debbie...

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Hahaha love it, I personally think there is, if not specifically Plato's version then the world has had MANY Atlantis type event's even if not entire continents barring the legend of Lemuria/Mu that is.

All around our coastline the sea rose hundreds of feet since the end of the last glacial maximum AND continent's have risen and fallen in places due to the shift in pressure on the subcrustal magma and over crustal ice layers that were a virtual second continent of ice on top of the rock continent they over lay.

But that does not explain hugely deep ruins like those off of Cuba?.

If we take Atlantis to mean not so much Plato's Atlantis as folk memories mixed with his account and now using his name for it then there may be many sunken city's we have yet to discover, entire chapters of advanced human settlement now lost beneath the briny deep and to quote that sleeping pillow book reading guy the slime of ages.

He is just typecast to that chainsaw and shotgun like for ever.
But you know the first evil dead scared the crap out of me, I mean TREES, sex maniac TREES and swallowing zombie eye ball's.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

The Atlas mountains were they named after the Titan, was he a KING or just a fictitious character, come on Harte do enlighten us are legends sometimes based on a Kernel of truth, is the Atlantic named after Atlas and why did the Aztecs believe in a homeland called Aztlan, note the similarity and yes I know you stick by the Smithsonian like dog much to a new pair of trainers and deny diffusionism but what if you are wrong.

Do you now assert that Nahuatl is a dialect of ancient Greek?
Please make yourself aware of the fact that, if Aztlan was near ANY ocean (and it wasn't - it was a freshwater swamp,) it would be the Pacific. Is "Aztlan" Greek for "Pacific?"

originally posted by: LABTECH767And come on Harte what in the blazes is this according to YOU.
sciencevibe.com...

If you mean the Zelitsky story (debunked here at ATS by me and many others many times in the past - as you should certainly know), it's a whole bunch of nothing, even the pic is an artist's conception made to look like an underwater photo. The 4 photos in the header are not from Zelitsky's "find." One looks like a possible shipwreck. I won't spend the time identifying the others for you - Google has a reverse image search which you would already be well acquainted with if you had any REAL curiosity about such matters. I will point out, though, that things do sink - a huge part of Port Royale in Jamaica sank below the Caribbean in 1692. One (or more) of those 4 pics could be of that. I'll leave that investigation to you, assuming you ever get around to it.

Harte

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Of course there is absolutely no evidence Atlantis is real. Evidence only counts if it’s in an United States court of law Anna is used to prove its existence. So until someone is charged w it’s a crime of hiding Atlantis and is convicted there is no evidence. Much the same with ufos, dark matter and many other things.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Harte I disagree vehemently on the Zelitsky story it is NOT debunked.

Denied by you and others is a more accurate and fair assessment of that claim.
en.wikipedia.org...

To debunk it you would have to provide EVIDENCE against not just claim it is not a city.

And to me it damn well look's like a city.

I mean some of the attempts at debunking have included CLAIMS to know her personally as if that somehow makes the debunking claim valid, Claims that it is the Soviet Silo's dumped there out of convenience in deep water when they had to dismantle them fast to end the missile crisis despite these ruin's or structures being far too large AND organized for that etc unless of course they gingerly put them down there, arranged them and built a city out of them not that they had anywhere near enough cast concrete to do that.

So no Harte NOT debunked, opinionated and claimed against but not debunked by a very long shot indeed.

I shall tell you what I think it is Harte and I have no proof just opinion based on sketchy ideas but I hold to it, ever heard of continental tilt theory and the fact that geology shows the Amazon once flowed in the OTHER direction to the WEST, was puma punku and the altiplana with it's shared very closely related species in the lake to those in the coastal waters on that side of the continent actually at SEA level, was this part of the continent not directly opposite by a long shot but still on the opposite side to that once higher and did a geological event perhaps accompanied by a huge tidal wave on both oceans perhaps at or toward the end of the last glaciation occur rapidly throwing Puma Punku, Tiwanaku etc upward and this site DOWN into the depth's?.

Just think about it.

WAS the Atlantic once shallower during the last glacial maximum and perhaps for a long time before that, did the sub crustal magma displace back from under the ocean plates once the huge second continent of ice on top of the northern continents melted and they started to rise (an ongoing process most visible in parts of Scandinavia called continental rebound as it rises back out of the crust were it was depressed by the ice), did this cause a reduction in subcrustal pressure on the underlying ocean plates of the Atlantic while perhaps the south American continent was passing over the remains of one of earths many more ancient continents (They rise and fall back into the crust as you know over geological time and there have been in the life of the earth at least seven other continents according to some theory's before the birth of what became our continents and I am not taking about Pangea or Gondwanaland they were both OUR continent's I am talking about previous continental mass that rose and fell over geological time), perhaps western south America and it's underlying plate are passing over a particularly thick structure, a dead continent underlying the current surface crustal plates undergoing natural crustal recycling.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I've always believed there to be more than meets the eye. I think there were at least 2 civilizations of human before us and one of them walked with dinosaurs. It's easy to see how an entire city could sink like Atlantis, and then come back up. How many times have people dug at the Eye of Sahara? Is what was there, gone or is it buried?

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Right that is a good point there are several shafts that we Know of, two at least and probably more, old Hancock etc lined them up to the position of certain stars that are important to Egyptian mythology which of course would mean that even if the dating could be proven to be wrong there is the stumbling block that the Egyptians somehow worshipped the same stars as this ancient pre dynastic hypothetical pyramid building society so yes they could be different doors (Ceremonial for the soul) in different shafts.

And it is more than possible that Hawas was targeted for his link's to the previous administration meaning his prosecution could have been totally stitched up for political reasons so on that I will bow to your point, if I was wrong then I APPOLOGISE TO HAWAS for taking the side of his slanderers on that point, you make a good point about his prosecution being far from legitimate.

Still I do wonder if he was tempted to sell some items after crying over the lack of funding for that museum of his.

Who knows. Hawass is as human as anyone, and harder to like than most.Besides, "that museum of his" is not his museum.
He did his very best for Egypt though, and that counts a whole lot for me.
Not that I personally care that much about Egypt. But I can appreciate the man for what he did and not who he did it for.

Harte

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   

He is charismatic though lets be fair, people love to Hate the guy, perhaps if he was in agreement with there opinions they would actually LOVE him, it's just like politics I guess.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Harte I disagree vehemently on the Zelitsky story it is NOT debunked.

Debunked.
I suggest you run a search here. But if I were you, I'd use a site-specific Google search - not the ATS search function.
ATS' search sucks. Or, it used to. I haven't used it in years.

Harte

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:59 PM
link   

He is charismatic though lets be fair, people love to Hate the guy, perhaps if he was in agreement with there opinions they would actually LOVE him, it's just like politics I guess.

He's a pompous ass and you know it.
This sudden kindness is entirely out of character.

Harte

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

He's a pompous ass and you know it.
This sudden kindness is entirely out of character.

Harte

Worse than me.

Harte

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbdowned

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: gb540

Heck, if someone paid me then I'd go and dig myself; I am Lostbook, after all, and I came to ATS to find information that has been lost or forgotten to the sands of time. Maybe the secrets of Atlantis are waiting to be found! What say you, ATS?

Party over if Hawass or similar got there first.

Is Hawass still around? I thought he retired or something like that....?

He was involved in a scandal (other than the hidden scandal of hiding inconvenient discoveries and worse) which had something to do with the black market, smuggling and other less than palatable accusations.

He was accused of that by idiots and rivals. He was cleared of those accusations. That was well before the new government came in and installed their own Director.

As for the OP topic, Herodotus never drew a world map. Herodotus never created any map at all.

There have been maps drawn that represent various people's ideas of what Herodotus may have thought the world looked like. These are based entirely on Herodotus' descriptions in the "Histories."

In one of the books of the "Histories," Herodotus describes the people that live "in the shadow" of a mountain he refers to as "Mount Atlas," which, from his own words, is a mountain in the Atlas mountain range - north of the eye.

He calls these people "Atlantes," sometimes translated as "Atlanteans," because of the proximity of that mountain and range.

The Atlas Mountains and, presumably, Mt. Atlas (whichever peak that refers to) were named after the Titan Atlas. At one time, the Atlas Mountains represented the far distant edge of the known world, and the Atlas myth had him holding up the sky at the edge of the world. Thus the name of the range.

Please note that Atlas was the son of Iapetus, one of the Titans. Poseidon, an Olympian and son of Cronus (a different Titan) was (according to Plato) the father of King Atlas of Atlantis. According to Plato, it is from king Atlas that Atlantis got its name, which also led to the name of the ocean (Atlantic.) Atlantis literally translates as a possessive form of Atlas (The Atlantis Sea is the "Sea of Atlas," as the Atlantic Ocean is the "Ocean of Atlas.")
So Herodotus' "Atlantes" are not in any way related to the fictional people in Plato's allegory; rather Herodotus called them that due to their proximity to a mountain range bearing the name of the Titan Atlas, not the king Atlas.

Harte

That is just not true!
King Atlas of Mauritania and Greek's Titan Atlas are actually a same mythological figure.
There's not much historical record available about Mauritanian King Atlas.
Other than him being a legend who invented celestial globe, not much else is known about him.
It is believed that he lived before 500 BCE but I doubt the date is even correct. There would've been a little more info about him if he lived in those times.
Please note that Plato lived in the 5th century BCE and King Atlas of Mauritania known to have invented celestial globe lived around a century before him? Just a total nonsense by whoever guesstimated the dating of this legendary figure.
King Atlas of Mauritania was Titan Atlas who existed in prehistoric times.

There were several King Atlases of Mauritania. All named after the Titan Atlas (in a roundabout way.) The one you're talking about is mythical (you know, like the Titan himself was mythical. In fact, as you stated, the king you're referring to actually was the Titan Atlas.) So now Titans are real?
None have anything to do with the son of Poseidon from Plato's allegory. I spelled it all out quite clearly. Not my problem if you personally decide to neither believe what I wrote nor look into the mythology of Greece and the Dialogues of Plato (like I have) to refute (or confirm) what I said. Not a word of what I posted is in error.

Harte

You're not making any sense or maybe you're just not getting my point.
I said King Atlas is same as Titan or God Atlas.
Now you bring up Poseidon to discredit Atlantis location or that it was just a fictional city.
I'll spell it out for you in case you missed it.
Atlas is the region originally named after King/Titan Atlas.
Poseidon ruled over the region afterwards.
It shouldn't be too difficult to connect the dots.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Heck, if someone paid me then I'd go and dig myself; I am Lostbook, after all, and I came to ATS to find information that has been lost or forgotten to the sands of time. Maybe the secrets of Atlantis are waiting to be found! What say you, ATS?

He was involved in a scandal (other than the hidden scandal of hiding inconvenient discoveries and worse) which had something to do with the black market, smuggling and other less than palatable accusations.

He was accused of that by idiots and rivals. He was cleared of those accusations. That was well before the new government came in and installed their own Director.

As for the OP topic, Herodotus never drew a world map. Herodotus never created any map at all.

There have been maps drawn that represent various people's ideas of what Herodotus may have thought the world looked like. These are based entirely on Herodotus' descriptions in the "Histories."

In one of the books of the "Histories," Herodotus describes the people that live "in the shadow" of a mountain he refers to as "Mount Atlas," which, from his own words, is a mountain in the Atlas mountain range - north of the eye.

He calls these people "Atlantes," sometimes translated as "Atlanteans," because of the proximity of that mountain and range.

The Atlas Mountains and, presumably, Mt. Atlas (whichever peak that refers to) were named after the Titan Atlas. At one time, the Atlas Mountains represented the far distant edge of the known world, and the Atlas myth had him holding up the sky at the edge of the world. Thus the name of the range.

Please note that Atlas was the son of Iapetus, one of the Titans. Poseidon, an Olympian and son of Cronus (a different Titan) was (according to Plato) the father of King Atlas of Atlantis. According to Plato, it is from king Atlas that Atlantis got its name, which also led to the name of the ocean (Atlantic.) Atlantis literally translates as a possessive form of Atlas (The Atlantis Sea is the "Sea of Atlas," as the Atlantic Ocean is the "Ocean of Atlas.")
So Herodotus' "Atlantes" are not in any way related to the fictional people in Plato's allegory; rather Herodotus called them that due to their proximity to a mountain range bearing the name of the Titan Atlas, not the king Atlas.

Harte

That is just not true!
King Atlas of Mauritania and Greek's Titan Atlas are actually a same mythological figure.
Other than him being a legend who invented celestial globe, not much else is known about him.
It is believed that he lived before 500 BCE but I doubt the date is even correct. There would've been a little more info about him if he lived in those times.
Please note that Plato lived in the 5th century BCE and King Atlas of Mauritania known to have invented celestial globe lived around a century before him? Just a total nonsense by whoever guesstimated the dating of this legendary figure.

There were several King Atlases of Mauritania. All named after the Titan Atlas (in a roundabout way.) The one you're talking about is mythical (you know, like the Titan himself was mythical. In fact, as you stated, the king you're referring to actually was the Titan Atlas.) So now Titans are real?
None have anything to do with the son of Poseidon from Plato's allegory. I spelled it all out quite clearly. Not my problem if you personally decide to neither believe what I wrote nor look into the mythology of Greece and the Dialogues of Plato (like I have) to refute (or confirm) what I said. Not a word of what I posted is in error.

Harte

Now you bring up Poseidon to discredit Atlantis location or that it was just a fictional city.

Do you read the posts you respond to?
The King of Atlantis, whose name was Atlas, was the son of Poseidon. According to Plato (the only ancient source on Atlantis,) it was Poseidon's son that the name "Atlantis" came from.
So, yeah, Poseidon is relevant and the Titan Atlas has nothing to do with the topic of Atlantis.

Harte

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The myth of Atlantis was one of Plato's metaphors so scratch that idea.

However there are ruins scattered underwater all over the globe for unknown reasons, but Atlantis is not one of them, it existed alright, but only in Plato's head.

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Some of the folks were certainly way ahead of others, seems at least possible it existed.

Multi story, underground, anti-earthquake, indoor plumbing city of Akrotiri. 3500 yrs ago.

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: Charliebrowndog
I saw that video quite awhile ago and did some follow-up and I believe they have performed some diggings in that area and did find wood, fish bones, etc which suggests at one time it was flooded. Until major digging can take place it is so difficult to determine because the surface of the earth has changed a lot in that period of time. It is my opinion this location is the most plausible for the location of Atlantis based on the location and the satellite views.

The only problem i have is those ridges you see are between 6 and 9 ft high meaning that would have made a very shallow water system.

There's also the problem of the 50 stadia canal to the sea. The Eye is WAAAAYYY further from the sea than that, and no sign of the canal anyway. Whole idea is just dumb. This is a geological dome which has had its top eroded over literally the last ONE HUNDRED MILLION YEARS.

Harte

The whole idea though is that the "flood" which destroyed Atlantis completely remodeled the area - the ocean was much closer to it (you can see the "old edge" of the sea floor to the west of the structure) and either it or an inland sea surrounded the "island" of of the eye. The reason its now a desert is because the flood came from somewhere NE - possible a part of the med breaking through and just swept everything west. If you look at google earth, squint your eyes and tilt your head it actually looks like that.

Personally I believe there is too little evidence for whats supposed to be the glorious atlantis though, even a flood would have left... something.
edit on 19-1-2021 by merka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 04:06 AM
link   

so what of the account that Atlantis sunk into the sea?

the eye of Africa isnt submerged and was likley never under water

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Harte

That is just not true!

Harte

Do you read the posts you respond to?
The King of Atlantis, whose name was Atlas, was the son of Poseidon. According to Plato (the only ancient source on Atlantis,) it was Poseidon's son that the name "Atlantis" came from.
So, yeah, Poseidon is relevant and the Titan Atlas has nothing to do with the topic of Atlantis.

Harte

I see what you're saying, but look into Plato's father or genealogy.
His father and forefathers claimed or at least believed they're descendants from Poseidon.
His mother was from Solon.
Plato was obviously influenced by his family genealogy thru his father thus the biased view on Poseidon.
Don't take Plato's words literally here because Atlantis he mentioned is real but he wanted to have it related somehow to his own bloodline whether real or not, making his family proud at the time.

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Worth nothing as the map is most likely a hoax.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join