It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient 2500 yr Old Map Shows The Lost City of Atlantis is The Eye of The Sahara

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

No they used to be domes but they shattered. To many things wrong for this to be atlantis. for one alot of it is shale not a great foundation for building on. There was never a path to the ocean that would be easy to spot with a satellite. And we traced the nile it didnt go that way so the maps wrong. www.sciencedirect.com...
edit on 1/17/21 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

No they used to be domes but they shattered.

One dome. And it eroded, actually.

edit on 1/17/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

What's your opinion, Phage? What do you think about the evidence in the video?

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I don't think there is any evidence that Atlantis was a real thing.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

I somewhat lost my temper with you and have had to come back and edit this, I have no wish to be angry with you and you have every right to your 'opinion', twice the man was Charged, two separate dossiers of evidence were compiled for two charges of corruption to be brought one after he was cleared the first time and then he was cleared again.

But cleared by WHOM, on WHOSE ORDER?, Egypt is well known for it's corruption, the ability to bribe it's antiquity's guards and officials.

Why do you believe that Mr Hawass is above and beyond reproach, because he agrees with your own belief's is that it?.
strangeharbor.net...
paul-barford.blogspot.com...

The man is frankly a Charlatan, a very passionate and driven Charlatan but a Charlatan nonetheless in my view though obviously not in yours.

I don't know that he guilty but I do know that he is far from honest on many facts and attacks anyone that questions his version of history, just like some other people in the room eh!.

edit on 17-1-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Thanks for your input. I think it was real.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I don't think there is any evidence that Atlantis was a real thing.

Other than Plato crossing his heart and hoping to die. He claims he got the information from Egyptian priests but we never found any evidence of that. The story was first told in two of Plato's dialogues, the "Timaeus" and the "Critias," written about 360 B.C. there has been a huge debate on if this was a story he used to teach or an actual place. t's clear that Plato made up Atlantis as a plot device for his stories, because there no other records of it anywhere else in the world. There are many extant Greek texts; surely someone else would have also mentioned, at least in passing, such a remarkable place. There is simply no evidence from any source that the legends about Atlantis existed before Plato wrote about it.

But in science lack of evidence doesnt mean it doesnt exist then again there is no evidence for unicorns either lol.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Its now known that as recent as 11,000 years ago the entire northern strip of Africa was once green, with lakes, rivers, grasslands and even forests. Apparently there are Egyptians records that say the first pharaohs were gods from the west....

Their chronologies reported that their first pharaohs had been gods [5] (p.18) who came from the West, a polite way of saying that their kingdom had begun when foreign conquerors with “magical powers” (i.e., unseen technologies) arrived in the area, bringing agriculture and new knowledge.

Source

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

Not exactly it was believed by the Egyptians there pharaoh was a living god. In fact, they thought he was the earthly representation of Horus. The pharaoh as Horus in life became the pharaoh as Osiris in death, where he was united with the other gods. New incarnations of Horus succeeded the deceased pharaoh on earth in the form of new pharaohs. In other words, he was reincarnated into a god king. Ruling Egypt you became Horus or at least part of him and won his right to be Pharoah from Set.

So Horus was born of the sky not west of anything. And if we mean the first Human Pharoah one of two names according to kings list it was menes. However, it looks like Menes was actually Narmer who is credited with uniting Egypt. He was from naqada so he lived on the Nile and I guess was born there as well.

Here is the fun part for movie fans Narmer was the name he took his original was scorpion. This is why I learned about this to see if the scorpion king was real and well he was.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Ok, my take on things, if! and that's a big if, there is an actual site in the so-called eye of the Sahara with corresponding maps , handled by Herodotus dating 2500- 2400 yrs B.C ??..well there is a possible explanation for that...because at roughly the same time the proto Wagadu civilization aka Ghana was in full ascendancy, and could be just another city linked to them, that's if it's 2500 ~2400 B.C and not 25,000 B.C then I've nothing that I can explain, but these cities if connected to a map of 2500 B.C then folks knew of the existence of the Proto Sonniki state of tropical West Africa's first urban settlements, about the same time as the rise of Kerma on the Nile , Egyptians building Pyramids and Mesopotamian high civilizations, and that's interesting enough..but only if!!

Ruins of proto Wagadu and Wagadu some dating back 2500 B.C.

edit on 18-1-2021 by Spider879 because: Fix stuff.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Before Horses bovine did the trick.

Corresponding period with Egypt Nile valley complex.
edit on 18-1-2021 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Brilliant post Spider.

There are ruins around the vicinity of the Richat structure but they are not thousands of years old - merely at least 600 years old! They appear to be stop offs on trading routes, as further evidenced by the map you posted.

Quite simply, caravans went that way when taking salt West and gold East.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Indeed, however there are also red, black and other stones used there by the locals in there building styles, any massive scouring flood would have perhaps washed away any such ruins down to the bed rock and after silted up the canal's and old rivers, as far as description goes the area is a dead ringer for that given by Plato in his account of Solon's account of what he claimed the Egyptian priests had told him albeit not as we understand beyond the pillars of Heracles today.

Also even without such a catastrophe and scouring flood if one did not happen back at that time the entire north Africa was lush, green and fertile with far more water.

On a smaller scale the site in Spain's marshland is also a good fit but far too small while this structure matches far too perfectly in scale and form to be simply a coincidence, it also has the hot and cold springs.

Of course there are any number of other contenders and claimants to the title, even Ireland (Hibernia) and indeed Britain are both claimed to be Atlantis by some whom conveniently ignore the disparity in scale and climate while others believe it is indeed below the Atlantic to the south around Azores, Canaries, central Atlantic and even at the sunken islands known as saint Peter and Paul rock's (about half way between Brazil and Africa but held by Brazil and Some pilot's during WW2 reported seeing ruin's and even buildings on a submerged mountain that could be seen when the sun was at a specific angle and the sea was clear, one account after an Electrical storm which probably saturated the water with Ozone making the water crystal clear the pilot's claimed to see an entire city going into the depth's down the side of a submerged mountain or former island which may once have been above water during the last ice age), and other account's such as soviet submarines supposedly encountering ruined man made stairs carved into the cliff at the edge of the continental shelf descending into the depth and sunken beaches that lay at the bottom of cliffs that were far beneath the surface of the ocean, another account of some salvage hunters whom nearly lost control of there ROV when it stumbled into a massive sunken city somewhere east of the Azores that included what looked like stately mansions and a huge government like domed building (I am guessing they were American though without pictures it never happened eh!).

There also seems to be some kind of fear among deep sea ROV operators that they will be silences if they encounter and disclose certain things, perhaps fearing they could even be cold war and top secret so they just keep there mouth's shut and avoid them like the plague such as this incident.

There is definitely stuff down there, but who put it there and when that is the question.

Still weirder claims for it's location are the area around Lake Titicaca and even under the ice of Greenland and/or Antarctica, also if is far from the only mythical lost land that was sunken as there is also the legendary homeland of the Frisians - which could be Greenland? or perhaps a folk memory of a bit of Doggerland that lasted longer than we think it did today, Hyperborea to the north believed to be a lush land beyond the cold north and many other such places.

And those are only the Atlantic civilizations and legendary islands of myth and only a few of them, add to them the many from the pacific that may be more than just one lost island or land or even continent and then it seems all of humanity has folk memories of a devastating flood or destruction of there homelands.

edit on 18-1-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

originally posted by: LABTECH767

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: gb540

Heck, if someone paid me then I'd go and dig myself; I am Lostbook, after all, and I came to ATS to find information that has been lost or forgotten to the sands of time. Maybe the secrets of Atlantis are waiting to be found! What say you, ATS?

Party over if Hawass or similar got there first.

Is Hawass still around? I thought he retired or something like that....?

He was involved in a scandal (other than the hidden scandal of hiding inconvenient discoveries and worse) which had something to do with the black market, smuggling and other less than palatable accusations.

He was accused of that by idiots and rivals. He was cleared of those accusations. That was well before the new government came in and installed their own Director.

As for the OP topic, Herodotus never drew a world map. Herodotus never created any map at all.

There have been maps drawn that represent various people's ideas of what Herodotus may have thought the world looked like. These are based entirely on Herodotus' descriptions in the "Histories."

In one of the books of the "Histories," Herodotus describes the people that live "in the shadow" of a mountain he refers to as "Mount Atlas," which, from his own words, is a mountain in the Atlas mountain range - north of the eye.

He calls these people "Atlantes," sometimes translated as "Atlanteans," because of the proximity of that mountain and range.

The Atlas Mountains and, presumably, Mt. Atlas (whichever peak that refers to) were named after the Titan Atlas. At one time, the Atlas Mountains represented the far distant edge of the known world, and the Atlas myth had him holding up the sky at the edge of the world. Thus the name of the range.

Please note that Atlas was the son of Iapetus, one of the Titans. Poseidon, an Olympian and son of Cronus (a different Titan) was (according to Plato) the father of King Atlas of Atlantis. According to Plato, it is from king Atlas that Atlantis got its name, which also led to the name of the ocean (Atlantic.) Atlantis literally translates as a possessive form of Atlas (The Atlantis Sea is the "Sea of Atlas," as the Atlantic Ocean is the "Ocean of Atlas.")
So Herodotus' "Atlantes" are not in any way related to the fictional people in Plato's allegory; rather Herodotus called them that due to their proximity to a mountain range bearing the name of the Titan Atlas, not the king Atlas.

Harte

That is just not true!
King Atlas of Mauritania and Greek's Titan Atlas are actually a same mythological figure.
There's not much historical record available about Mauritanian King Atlas.
Other than him being a legend who invented celestial globe, not much else is known about him.
It is believed that he lived before 500 BCE but I doubt the date is even correct. There would've been a little more info about him if he lived in those times.
Please note that Plato lived in the 5th century BCE and King Atlas of Mauritania known to have invented celestial globe lived around a century before him? Just a total nonsense by whoever guesstimated the dating of this legendary figure.
King Atlas of Mauritania was Titan Atlas who existed in prehistoric times.

edit on 18-1-2021 by Dumbdowned because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Dumbdowned

Agreed, don't let it get you down if you come up against the school yard bullies on the site they like to gang up and some of these sceptics have a hoard of groupies that like to hang to there shirt tails like bully's at a school dinner table, when you see them in that light they become quite funny and even pathetic.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I somewhat lost my temper with you and have had to come back and edit this, I have no wish to be angry with you and you have every right to your 'opinion', twice the man was Charged, two separate dossiers of evidence were compiled for two charges of corruption to be brought one after he was cleared the first time and then he was cleared again.

But cleared by WHOM, on WHOSE ORDER?, Egypt is well known for it's corruption, the ability to bribe it's antiquity's guards and officials.

Why do you believe that Mr Hawass is above and beyond reproach, because he agrees with your own belief's is that it?.
strangeharbor.net...

The man is frankly a Charlatan, a very passionate and driven Charlatan but a Charlatan nonetheless in my view though obviously not in yours.

I don't know that he guilty but I do know that he is far from honest on many facts and attacks anyone that questions his version of history, just like some other people in the room eh!.

You probably ought to let go of your irrational haterd for a man who won't buy the kind of crap you CHOOSE to believe in (without evidence, I should add.)
That, or go back on your meds.

Harte

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Well to be fair I have never "Hatered" hahaha I mistyped that copy you spelled it HATERD - (And to be fair I don't HATE anyone on this site and make it my life goal not to hate anyone - I mean you know I am a Christian by belief and try not to judge others - too many trees in my own eye - though lets be fair I am only human) - anyone though I too do make a few typo's and got envious of someone else avatar that was a joke about that very thing.

As for my irrationality, what about yours Harte, want to go and burn some poor scholar at the stake because he disagrees with you and your contemporary adherence to the fashionable view of history?.

Gad sooth man if you were secret police you would be gestapo or KGB or worse Stasi.

I welcome your critique but not your style, it has degraded from the helpful fair and open minded disagreement of when we first communed on the site to a version of the Grouch from sesame street with a bad migraine these day's.

You could be fair, educational, helpful and contribute to posts in the past so what happened.

You have also posted some good stuff in the past but sorry I really have to disagree when you have become so pig headed in your curmudgeonly way of putting people down simply because YOU disagree with them, you have your opinion and think it superior to others but I have news for you Harte some of those people believe there opinion is Superior to yours and are not fazed by the groupies that hang onto you like a group of naughty school kid's hero worshipping the greasy haired leather jacket wearing smart mouthed midget.

(haha not calling you small but believe me I probably have the edge in girth).

And NO Harte I certainly do not hate you, on occasion you have been bang on the buck but sorry I don't believe this is one of those times AND on other occasion you were damned nice to those you disagreed with but you have changed, we all have problems, have lost people we love, have sickness and even suffer depression some of us wishing we could go with those we love but hey man don't take it out of other people and DON'T become bitter it just gives you an ulcer in the end, enjoy, laugh, disagree, make your point and live and let live.

When you can damn well prove your point beyond any shadow then go ahead but otherwise using belittling tactics to put down people and there ideas is just dirty and childish and worse you damn well know it is and should be bloody ashamed of yourself, they are not all the same age as you as well and not all as well versed in the ways of this world.

Beyond that opinion is not fact until it is proven no matter how many share it with you or disagree with you, at best it is educated guess and you know that can be wrong.

Neither of us are typing with the hand of God here are we?.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbdowned

originally posted by: Harte

originally posted by: gb540

Heck, if someone paid me then I'd go and dig myself; I am Lostbook, after all, and I came to ATS to find information that has been lost or forgotten to the sands of time. Maybe the secrets of Atlantis are waiting to be found! What say you, ATS?

Party over if Hawass or similar got there first.

Is Hawass still around? I thought he retired or something like that....?

He was involved in a scandal (other than the hidden scandal of hiding inconvenient discoveries and worse) which had something to do with the black market, smuggling and other less than palatable accusations.

He was accused of that by idiots and rivals. He was cleared of those accusations. That was well before the new government came in and installed their own Director.

As for the OP topic, Herodotus never drew a world map. Herodotus never created any map at all.

There have been maps drawn that represent various people's ideas of what Herodotus may have thought the world looked like. These are based entirely on Herodotus' descriptions in the "Histories."

In one of the books of the "Histories," Herodotus describes the people that live "in the shadow" of a mountain he refers to as "Mount Atlas," which, from his own words, is a mountain in the Atlas mountain range - north of the eye.

He calls these people "Atlantes," sometimes translated as "Atlanteans," because of the proximity of that mountain and range.

The Atlas Mountains and, presumably, Mt. Atlas (whichever peak that refers to) were named after the Titan Atlas. At one time, the Atlas Mountains represented the far distant edge of the known world, and the Atlas myth had him holding up the sky at the edge of the world. Thus the name of the range.

Please note that Atlas was the son of Iapetus, one of the Titans. Poseidon, an Olympian and son of Cronus (a different Titan) was (according to Plato) the father of King Atlas of Atlantis. According to Plato, it is from king Atlas that Atlantis got its name, which also led to the name of the ocean (Atlantic.) Atlantis literally translates as a possessive form of Atlas (The Atlantis Sea is the "Sea of Atlas," as the Atlantic Ocean is the "Ocean of Atlas.")
So Herodotus' "Atlantes" are not in any way related to the fictional people in Plato's allegory; rather Herodotus called them that due to their proximity to a mountain range bearing the name of the Titan Atlas, not the king Atlas.

Harte

That is just not true!
King Atlas of Mauritania and Greek's Titan Atlas are actually a same mythological figure.
There's not much historical record available about Mauritanian King Atlas.
Other than him being a legend who invented celestial globe, not much else is known about him.
It is believed that he lived before 500 BCE but I doubt the date is even correct. There would've been a little more info about him if he lived in those times.
Please note that Plato lived in the 5th century BCE and King Atlas of Mauritania known to have invented celestial globe lived around a century before him? Just a total nonsense by whoever guesstimated the dating of this legendary figure.
King Atlas of Mauritania was Titan Atlas who existed in prehistoric times.

There were several King Atlases of Mauritania. All named after the Titan Atlas (in a roundabout way.) The one you're talking about is mythical (you know, like the Titan himself was mythical. In fact, as you stated, the king you're referring to actually was the Titan Atlas.) So now Titans are real?
None have anything to do with the son of Poseidon from Plato's allegory. I spelled it all out quite clearly. Not my problem if you personally decide to neither believe what I wrote nor look into the mythology of Greece and the Dialogues of Plato (like I have) to refute (or confirm) what I said. Not a word of what I posted is in error.

Harte
edit on 1/18/2021 by Harte because: of the wonderful things he does!

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   

The Atlas mountains were they named after the Titan, was he a KING or just a fictitious character, come on Harte do enlighten us are legends sometimes based on a Kernel of truth, is the Atlantic named after Atlas and why did the Aztecs believe in a homeland called Aztlan, note the similarity and yes I know you stick by the Smithsonian like dog much to a new pair of trainers and deny diffusionism but what if you are wrong.

And come on Harte what in the blazes is this according to YOU.
sciencevibe.com...

Of course I don't believe it has anything to do with Plato's Atlantis or for that matter earlier pre platonic references to it.
atlantipedia.ie...
And I believe there is a growing body of evidence to show that assumptions as to many ruins are basically wrong, just wrong and our history is far more complex than the idiot view pushed by the mainstream onto the sheep that want to believe it such as Alignments that do not make sense unless we move the pole to areas it may have occupied in the past and then there alignment becomes too perfect, of course other things can have alignment such as religious sites such as those on very early Muslim mosques which all seem to point to Petra of the Nabatean's and that is much more recent and from the first century of that religions existence.
beforeatlantis.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   

strangeharbor.net...

First link is to a bogus story I explained right here - you know, there are more shafts than just one.
Second link is about false charges - proven false by prosecutors (not dismissed for lack of evidence or simply dropped) as your own link states. That incident occurred well after Hawass had left the ministry, when he and the Egyptian government (after Mubarak was ousted) were at great odds with each other. If you suspect "corruption" there, who is corrupted? I mean, the government at the time certainly wouldn't sanction letting Hawass get away with anything, and he was the focus of large protests of Archaeology students at that time (who couldn't get work - even though Hawass was out of the ministry.)
He was scapegoated by these students, exactly the way you like to scapegoat him because you have no evidence for what you choose to believe (without evidence, again,) about Ancient Egypt.

Plenty of lies have been told about Hawass in the past. In fact, years before this Graham Hancock and (I believe it was) John Anthony West even issued an apology for repeating a claim that Hawass stole some artifact.

Harte

edit on 1/18/2021 by Harte because: of the wonderful things he does!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join