It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone else a knife nut??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Funny you mentioned this. I bought my first knife today, and I sat it down after sharpening it......

Has anyone seen my new knife

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Mr. Disc, sir? G'evenin to you. I think you should split the doses now x 2 not 4! Sir, you appear tilting some!!! That's ok...but, please put down the sharp objects!!!

PS Western Bowie Knives- hey...how can I clean a Bowie up??????

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 08:36 PM
link   
*It was just the "I love knives. Did I tell you I..." comment that worried me, Clay!

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Just ordered a nice Nakiri tonight, but I do love my Santukos. The Nakiri is a lower profile and lighter chopping style knife. Loosely translated it is a vegetable chopping knife, for really thin slicing (like paper thin). VG-10 steel with a 62 rockwell hardness (it can go to 64 depending on the knife, they're all hand forged a little differently)

Santukos are probably the most versatile knife a person could own.

As for cutting oneself, everyone does it at least once. I did. cut the top of my thumb off, cutting the single most common injury item...an onion. Wife said afterwards...ancient cooking proverb; onions are cheap, fingers aren't...don't cut them so close! Lesson learned!

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Allaroundyou

okay, no worries.

There are two ways; on chrome plated steel just file, or stone, down the flat side. On a better knife, run a 400 or higher belt through the grooves, and THEN flatten the flat side. Viola', sharp serrations!

P.S. - I'm not a serrated knife guy, but I can get 'em sharp. Serrated are for tomatoes and fresh bread.

Dude thanks for the tip man!
I am completely sober lol.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Can't sleep (in serious pain), so I'm just gonna' ramble until I collapse or pass out, or both (this shoulder stuff sucks, and i'm sick of it!!!) Anyway...

I started collecting knives when I was a kid. I didn't have a lot, but the ones I did I cherished. My father was mad-crazy about a sharp knife. So every time I had a knife he'd want to know if it was sharp, which it never was, per his standards. Despite this he never showed me how to sharpen one, not at first anyway. But he would always make a great big drama deal about sharpening his knives. I was young, dumb, and had a perpetually dull knife.

Years later he would tell me how to sharpen a knife, but never show me. It was like some kind of secret or something. Plus, I was never allowed to use his stuff. I was frustrated. One day I went out to the dime store and bought a (cheap) sharpening stone. It was horrible, but I thought it was great. I think it was for grinding axes or something because it jus about destroyed every knife I had. I only had one decent knife left. So, I saved up a few bucks and bought a little better stone. That one actually worked (decent, but not great). I got to where I could take a dull knife and not make it dull-er by 'sharpening' it. Progress!

Soon I began to see the light. Technique was important, just as much as good tools. I got to where I could sharpen my one knife pretty dang good, but that was just one knife, and the same knife every time. Yes, it was the crummy Ka-Bar I referred to earlier. It was junk, but at least it was good steel. Lesson #2 learned...it's not only the tools, and the technique, but good steel is important also. Then I started looking around for new / different knives. Most were not new, but were given to me for one reason or other. And things just grew from there.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:11 PM
link   
So what are my favorite knives? Well, of course customs will always rank near the top,but I have many others as well.

For outdoor / general purpose / EDC knives I like:

Benchmade (my EDC for years)
Spyderco
ESEE
TOPS
Marbles
Ontario
Alaska
Ka-Bar
Loveless
Randall
and even Mora and Buck

Kitchen / processing knives:

Wusthof
Henckels
Forschner
Kyocera
F Dick
Tojiro
MAC
and even Victorinox (commercial series)

How about you?

P.S. - I have way too many knives per my wife, but is this even possible??? I think not!

edit on 1/16/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Sorry for the rambling.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Victorinox

These look and feel like the cheapest knives ever made but boy can they cut. They are thin and sharp and last a long time.
All of our steak knives are Victorinox.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I know, I know...I left out Case, but I've never really owned any Case knives. I get grief from my FIL all the time over this, but I just buy him a Case knife for X-mas or BD and he shuts up.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:29 PM
link   

...and they keep on cutting too!

They make some wicked commercial knives too.

Not all of them are thin though.

Did you know Victorinox bought Forschner?

ETA - Most commercial fisheries and meat packers use Victorinox

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:33 PM
link   

...and they keep on cutting too!

They make some wicked commercial knives too.

Not all of them are thin though.

Did you know Victorinox bought Forschner?

Oh really. Yes I have to tell everyone before they use my Victorinox to be careful because most people aren’t really used to using super sharp knives. Most people use knives so dull I don’t know how they even cut anything.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:39 PM
link   
DBL

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Their boning and breaking knives are some of the best in the world.

A lot of places are replacing their F. Dick knives with Victorinox. (F. Dick where a 3" paring knife will set you back $60+ !!)

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Their boning and breaking knives are some of the best in the world.

A lot of places are replacing their F. Dick knives with Victorinox. (F. Dick where a 3" paring knife will set you back $60+ !!)

Just checked out that breaking knife on Amazon 46 bucks! I might get it, looks like it would be great for fish or delicate work. Hmmm

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 01:49 AM
link   

I love knives!!

I especially like kukris...something about that shape.

The knives I have are purely ornamental and I never found a use for 'm as a tool. I'm not a purist like you when it comes to sharpening and I would probablt ruin every knife I got.

My sharpening skills are only limited to the tools I do use which are chissels and chainsaw blades....

Peace
edit on 17-1-2021 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Yep. Just remember, a breaking knife will be a stiffer knife. You might also consider a boning knife (the breaking knife's smaller cousin). There are 3 different types, stiff, or flexible, and in both of those you can get a curved and non-curved blades. For what you are wanting to do a flexible curved version might be ideal. Boners and breakers overlap at about the 8" range, with breakers going up, and boning knives going down, in size from there (as a general rule). Both knives are very precise. A 6" flexible curved boning knife is probably one of my favorites, way more precise than any chef type knife will ever be.

A word of caution if you use a honing or sharpening steel. Both knives will jump the guard on the steel pretty easy if you're not careful, depending on your technique (away is always safer, but harder to master). I draw mine which is more dangerous (and probably frowned upon)...and almost cut the crap out of my thumb knuckle below the guard once.

Both knives (breaking and boning) are sharp, sharp...SHARP! In fact, my Vic boning knife is every bit as sharp as some of my single bevel Japanese sushi knives (think like: straight razor kind of sharp).

You'll love either one.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

OMC, chisels are some of the hardest tools of all to sharpen (properly). If you can sharpen a chisel properly then you can sharpen any knife!

Samurai swords and chisels are like the holy grails of the sharpening world. I've known guys who've sharpened tools for 60+ years and still can't sharpen a chisel properly. (I'm talking about block-plane type chisels here, not so much hand-chisels).

"Normal" people will spend hundreds of dollars on sharpening equipment. Master chisel sharpeners will spend tens of thousands before they're even considered "Intermediate" level. I will hone my own block-plane chisels, but won't even attempt to sharpen them! I send those out for sharpening. Even just squaring one can take years to master.
edit on 1/17/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 05:19 AM
link   
And speaking of sharp, I watched a guy cut clean through about a 10" diameter palm tree with a Samurai sword one time on a bet. Lopped that thing off like it was a 1/4" bamboo shoot!

😲

No one thought he could do it, so we were all standing up close. I don't think even he thought he could do it. It was about a 25-30 foot tall tree and everyone scattered when he really did lop that puppy in half! Top came down, coconuts and all!

LOL!!

ETA - It was just like in the movies too! He 'swung' (is that even the correct term?) that sword through and it was like nothing happened at first. For a brief second I even thought he missed. Then the tree started to fall over! I'm not into swords and don't know much about them at all, but I thought that was pretty impressive!
edit on 1/17/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Oh yeah.. Love blades!

My EDC has always been Benchmades. It was spyderco and CRKT before that, but once I finally saved up for a Benchmade in my teens.. Never looked back.

Current EDC is some model I cant remember, but it has a reverse tanto which is currently my favorite shape.

Ive loved swords, in particular, for as long as I can remember. And they basically served as the foundation for a lot of interests in my life (different cultures, entertainment, etc.).

I practiced kendo/gumdo/iaido for years. Im actually not sure that what I do now could be considered any of those since Ive adapted all the forms into my own thing.. But its easier to just call it something that has a chance of familiarity when talking about it.

Actually have a katana on its way to me right now. Took a bit of a risk with a cheap sword.. So Im very curious to see what I actually get! 1060 steel, so that should be alright. Id really like L6.. But that stuff is out of my price range.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join