It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who OWNS Us Now?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

a reply to: IAMTAT

If I were, I certainly wouldn't say. It's not my place to say anything about it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Do you believe we (as mods and all members) have a right (or, at least courtesy) to know the identity of the new owners before the sale occurs?

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Who owns it will not determine if I continue reading here. How the content shifts and how the site is run will determine it.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I really don’t care — as long as they don’t show bias.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

I think whatever you post here belongs to ATS so if they sell the site, the content is owned by the new owners. I dont think they'd go through and remove everything. That could take a crap ton of time.

To the best of my knowledge they only have non-exclusive rights per T&C.

That would still give them the right not to delete content.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   

If worried, I believe a valid argument could be had that when you signed up under the T&C originally it was due to your belief in the owners at the time and could likely have all of your content wiped if requested because of a change of ownership.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

If worried, I believe a valid argument could be had that when you signed up under the T&C originally it was due to your belief in the owners at the time and could likely have all of your content wiped if requested because of a change of ownership.

That would certainly strike me as fair.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
Joe doesn't want us to know that he owns it until after he is president.

Or Donald can't announce it until he gets his Twitter account back.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

So..., hypothetically, if either Trump or Soros were negotiating to buy ATS for a boatload of bucks...would membership want to know this ahead of time?

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Seems strange to me...

How do the new owners propose to make revenue without ads?

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Ive been a member here long enough to know that we will be told when they want us to know. Maybe the sale/details/paperwork hasn't been finalised yet and they are awaiting for it to be concluded.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Truthfully im more upset at the loss of Bill and Mark and (furtherback RIP) WOS, and all the people that MADE ATS, ATS. Some seriously good years and incredible memories with these guys.

The biggest event that ever sticks out in my mind is the galactic federation of light and blossom. Was almost a 3 day marathon with no sleep just making popcorn. Hard to believe that was 12 years ago.

Truly Bill, Mark, all you guys I personally will miss you more than i can express, and THANK YOU for all the years of fun.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

I'm not disagreeing with you.
I just think we deserve to know WHO is buying ATS...BEFORE it is a done deal.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

There's nothing to stop you from making such a request, but unless there's some provisions in the terms and conditions stipulating that, there's also nothing to stop the new owners from saying there's nothing in the terms and conditions that requires them to honor such a request. So you might want to actually read the terms and conditions to see what agreement you have been using to submit your posts here.

Terms & Conditions Of Use
The new owners can change the terms and conditions which can go into effect 15 days after they are posted, so you may want to keep an eye out for that, I will.

TAN may change the Terms and Conditions of Use (and the Additional Terms and Conditions of Membership) at any time and the changes will become effective 15 days after posting the revised Terms and Conditions of Use (and the Additional Terms and Conditions of Membership) (the "Effective Date"). You can review the most current version of the Terms and Conditions of Use (and the Additional Terms and Conditions of Membership) at any time at www.abovetopsecret.com/legal.html. You are responsible for checking periodically for changes, and your continued use of the Websites after the Effective Date indicates your acceptance of any changes specified in the new Terms and Conditions of Use (and for members, the new Additional Terms and Conditions of Membership).

That link to the "latest version" in the of the T&C www.abovetopsecret.com/legal.html on the T&C link is broken, then there is this link which has a working link to the latest version of T&C:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That old Simon Gray post should probably be edited to change the broken updated T&C link to the working updated T&C link.

originally posted by: Ohanka
Seems strange to me...

How do the new owners propose to make revenue without ads?
I am certainly wondering the same thing. I can only guess, paid subscriptions? That doesn't seem to make sense for a site with user-generated content, because with paid subscriptions you're usually paying for the site to provide the content. Time will tell I guess.

edit on 2021116 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Well have you asked anyone?

Sent Springer or SO a message?

Tell them your concerns

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I DID find THIS section in T&C.

Requests for voluntary "account deletion" and removal of your content will not be honored without a reasonable reason, provided in writing, to TAN.

I would ask, in lieu of what is taking place in Social Media in abundance, during this uncertain and divisive time...if concern over unknown ownership would be considered to be a "reasonable reason".
edit on 16-1-2021 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I see little point in pre-judging any purchaser.

I don't know about anyone else, but I grow tired of fearing all of the things that *might* happen before they do.

It's 99.9% more likely that whoever shells out some cash for these boards will have the primary intention to keep it a success.

If their actions fail to accomplish that, it's pretty simple, people will stop coming.

Marketplace 101.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Well have you asked anyone?

Sent Springer or SO a message?

Tell them your concerns

This 'Board & Business Question' is doing just that.
In addition, it is asking for some reassurance.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

I'm not disagreeing with you.
I just think we deserve to know WHO is buying ATS...BEFORE it is a done deal.

Why? It's none of our business if we're not paying the bills. We don't have a right to be here, the owner(s) allow us to be here.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If I'm banned after the sale then we'll have a pretty good idea who's bought ATS.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join