It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA filing for bankruptcy, moving from New York to Texas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 04:22 PM
link   

The National Rifle Association (NRA) has filed for bankruptcy and will reincorporate in Texas, the gun rights advocacy group announced Friday.

The NRA, which is based in New York, said it's exiting "what it believes is a corrupt political and regulatory environment in New York" and will restructure as a Texas nonprofit. Its plan, it said, "involves utilizing the protection of the bankruptcy court."

"The move will enable long-term, sustainable growth and ensure the NRA's continued success as the nation's leading advocate for constitutional freedom - free from the toxic political environment of New York," the NRA said in a statement.

The NRA also claims it is in its "strongest financial condition in years" and said there will be no immediate changes to its operations or workforce. Texas is home to more than 400,000 NRA members and the group is holding its annual meeting in Houston in 2021.

Source

I don't think anyone is really surprised by this. After the news came out last year that the NRA was essentially stealing their members' money and the law came knocking it was only a matter of time before they were forced to declare bankruptcy.

The only thing I'm confused about is the fact that they're only now fleeing to Texas. I thought they were doing that when their scam got found out.

On a personal note I have no problem with gun owners. My FIL owns a lot of beautiful guns. I would probably own one if I didn't have depression issues. At the same time I've always had an issue with the NRA. They've always seemed like just your average lobbyist group that's only on it for the money.
edit on 1/15/2021 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

"restructure as a non-profit" I wonder how they will walk that back??

edit on 15-1-2021 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Who???

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

The National Rifle Association (NRA) has filed for bankruptcy and will reincorporate in Texas, the gun rights advocacy group announced Friday.

The NRA, which is based in New York, said it's exiting "what it believes is a corrupt political and regulatory environment in New York" and will restructure as a Texas nonprofit. Its plan, it said, "involves utilizing the protection of the bankruptcy court."

"The move will enable long-term, sustainable growth and ensure the NRA's continued success as the nation's leading advocate for constitutional freedom - free from the toxic political environment of New York," the NRA said in a statement.

The NRA also claims it is in its "strongest financial condition in years" and said there will be no immediate changes to its operations or workforce. Texas is home to more than 400,000 NRA members and the group is holding its annual meeting in Houston in 2021.

Source

I don't think anyone is really surprised by this. After the news came out last year that the NRA was essentially stealing their members' money and the law came knocking it was only a matter of time before they were forced to declare bankruptcy.

The only thing I'm confused about is the fact that they're only now fleeing to Texas. I thought they were doing that when their scam got found out.

On a personal note I have no problem with gun owners. My FIL owns a lot of beautiful guns. I would probably own one if I didn't have depression issues. At the same time I've always had an issue with the NRA. They've always seemed like just your average lobbyist group that's only on it for the money.

Its ironic they call New York corrupt when they are the ones filing for bankruptcy due to corruption. They are moving to Texas because they have one big corrupt State AG that for a few thousand will look the other way. I'm not anti-gun or anything but whomever donates to this organization after all this is a fool.
edit on 15-1-2021 by Bunch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 04:53 PM
link   
the NRA fights for my rights and the rights of the second amendment.. im a lifelong donor and member.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: loueber

Seems like the only thing the NRA fights of late is which of the leaders gets to keep more of your donation money. You should look to other pro-guns organizations to donate if I was you. The grift is strong on this one.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bunch

Seems like the only thing the NRA fights of late is which of the leaders gets to keep more of your donation money. You should look to other pro-guns organizations to donate if I was you. The grift is strong on this one.

i hear your thoughts... the only problem is they are the only org large enough to weigh any leverage during lawsuits.
They might be corrupt, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Russia Russia Russia.... any time an organization is demonized by the left there are those who will double down on support. The NRA and anyone else who gets at out N.Y. has my blessings and support.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 06:03 PM
link   
You forget to mention the class of bankruptcy filed.
And the NRA is correct , NY is fast becoming the most corrupt location in the world.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 06:12 PM
link   

It often fights to supress sensible gun laws. I wonder why 70%+ of illegal mexican guns are American made...

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: loueber
the NRA fights for my rights and the rights of the second amendment.. im a lifelong donor and member.

I'll second that.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
You forget to mention the class of bankruptcy filed.
And the NRA is correct , NY is fast becoming the most corrupt location in the world.

Lol... they been holding the title strong since this country inception.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Smart move. In Texas you can just pick people off as they walk by your house and still be mostly within the law.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bunch

So, NRA propaganda? I know a tree hugger who drives a Suburu at work who thinks like that. Good luck.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 07:47 PM
link   

So am I. I am a lifetime member. But don't let them spin this as anti-gun people picking on them. The NRA is internally corrupt and has been for years. The top dogs enjoy extremely high salaries with amazing perks. It's not exactly a volunteer organization.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The State of New York is losing the most taxpayers of any state in the country.

www.empirecenter.org...

National Rifle Association is in GOOD and SMART company.

btw... Texas is in the top 3 states GAINING population.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

My guess would be fast and furious Obama style selling of them to Mexican cartels.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Im sure there is some of that but i believe it's mostly just Americans buying guns legally. Like places in Arizona and Las Vegas. Then taking those guns back into mexico to sell to cartels.

Or buying guns off private sellers.

It's a sad fact, but we pretty much arm the cartels down there. And also give them money by buying their drugs.

We are definitely part responsible for the massive violence in Mexico.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Then why support a corrupt organization?

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   

No, they don't. They lobby on behalf of firearms manufacturers, as a Second Amendment advocate I won't give those dirtbags a penny of my money.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join