It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Study in What's Wrong With Discourse

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea
I disagree to a point, crying can be very therapeutic.

Unfortunately we live in a culture where crying has been used as a tool, instead of healing.

When someone wants their way, they gnash and cry, that's wrong.

When someone is overwhelmed with emotion (not the results of the election, but loss of a loved one) it helps mentally.

I'm not saying to cry over everything, maybe we're not even talking about physical crying, which brings me back to how the act has been turned into a tool.

Crying to manipulate others, not okay. Crying to help improve mental health, okay. (But not by grandstanding for others to see your tears)

Edit: May seem a bit off topic, but the OP is talking about people who are using emotional outbursts as a weapon, so I felt this post still fit here.
edit on 1/15/2021 by Nivhk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nivhk
I disagree to a point, crying can be very therapeutic.

Very true. You've made me think and reconsider, and I stand corrected. Crying -- like other methods of processing and releasing intense emotions -- can be very therapeutic. Sometimes it's all we've got, such as when mourning the loss of a loved one, and there's just nothing we can do to change it.

Crying to manipulate others, not okay. Crying to help improve mental health, okay. (But not by grandstanding for others to see your tears)

Yes. Good distinctions.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   

The difference, I think, is mistaking emotions for reasoned discourse.

This or that makes me angry, afraid, sad; therefore, it must not be allowed and is bad/evil with no examination of why it makes one feel that way.

edit on 15-1-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The difference, I think, is mistaking emotions for reasoned discourse.

This or that makes me angry, afraid, sad; therefore, it must not be allowed and is bad/evil with no examination of why it makes one feel that way.

Yes. It's not just the lack of reason and reasoned discourse, it's coupled with the expectation that my tears necessitate any action -- or nonaction -- on your part. My tears, my emotions, my response is my own, and mine to deal with. Your response is your own.
edit on 15-1-2021 by Boadicea because: nevermind

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Here is another angle of the same problem.

We're all literally Nazis now or literally Hitler. Godwin's Law has been blown out of the water. Remember how it used to apply to losing an argument when you brought in Hitler/Nazis or applied to the longer an argument went on, the more likely it was that Hitler/Nazis would be brought up? Now we just jump straight there.
edit on 15-1-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

They are saying that math is racially oppressive and that's why blacks do so poorly at it. There is a group of people that is actually trying to prove that 2+2 can equal 5 and they're doing it because they think they've only been taught it can equal 4 because white people structured math that way.

They seem to forget that math is a universal system. The numbers we use are Arabic, for example, and the father of algebra was a guy named Al-Khwarizmi. You don't see whites or southeast Asians like Chinese or Japanese or Koreans and the like complaining that if they don't get Algebra it's because it's too Middle Eastern Asian and thus needs to be "decolonized" and taught to them in more "racially friendly" ways.

I'm sorry, but the concept of 2 is the same no matter what culture you come out of and when you put two groups of two together you end up with the same amount which will be the concept of four.

Like I said, stop making stuff up. Who are the mysterious "they" in your first paragraph?

And 2 + 2 does not equal 4 in base 3.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

The people here linked to Nicole Hannah-Jones.

I clearly said it was all started as a bit of a troll they took seriously, and they still are failing.

As to your attempt to disprove me, you failed.

I'm sorry, but the concept of 2 is the same no matter what culture you come out of and when you put two groups of two together you end up with the same amount which will be the concept of four.

I did not simply write baldly that 2+2=4. I wrote that the concept of 2 which will sometimes be noted differently in different numerical base systems (say 10 in binary) added to the concept of 2 will still be the concept of 4. Yes, if you decide to use base three as your notation, then 4 will be noted different than baldly writing the numeral 4 since such a thing never exists in base three notation, but you would still have four nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: ketsuko

Shapiro's own Daily Wire is indulging in some trolling. They will are sending Politco 225 Leftist Tears tumblers.

LOL! When I was a girl, my dad didn't like crying. He would hand us a cup and tell us to try and fill it with our tears and then get back to him when we were ready to use our words.

It worked.

Given these journalists (and I use that term loosely) seem to have about the same level of maturity as a child, maybe this is exactly what they need to find their words and their truth and stop having a freaking tantrum!

Off topic - you dad was a &(%^^&& dismissing your emotions like that. What a horrible way to deal with emotions and feelings.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Off topic - you dad was a &(%^^&& dismissing your emotions like that. What a horrible way to deal with emotions and feelings.

Nope, not at all. My dad was an awesome man -- a damn good man -- who did much for other people. He had also lived a very tough life, and knew that tantrums were neither practical nor productive.

And in hindsight, I think he did me a favor. He did not do so when such emotional release was appropriate (as others have pointed out to me and I agreed, sometimes crying is beneficial for emotional release and processing. Not always... maybe not even usually... but sometimes). And, perhaps, I personally needed it, because I do tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, and I do need to be able to control my emotions and keep matters in perspective. No matter how much my heart hurts.

Parents are supposed to teach their kids such things. He didn't beat me. He didn't torture me. He didn't starve me. He did not abuse me in any way. He taught me to be an adult and handle problems responsibly, in practical and productive ways. For my own benefit. Parents don't raise children... kids already know how to be kids. Parents have to raise adults.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Nope, not at all. My dad was an awesome man -- a damn good man -- who did much for other people. He had also lived a very tough life, and knew that tantrums were neither practical nor productive.

And in hindsight, I think he did me a favor. He did not do so when such emotional release was appropriate (as others have pointed out to me and I agreed, sometimes crying is beneficial for emotional release and processing. Not always... maybe not even usually... but sometimes). And, perhaps, I personally needed it, because I do tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, and I do need to be able to control my emotions and keep matters in perspective. No matter how much my heart hurts.

Parents are supposed to teach their kids such things. He didn't beat me. He didn't torture me. He didn't starve me. He did not abuse me in any way. He taught me to be an adult and handle problems responsibly, in practical and productive ways. For my own benefit. Parents don't raise children... kids already know how to be kids. Parents have to raise adults.

There were better ways to teach that lesson and not deny your feelings.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 03:32 AM
link   

There were better ways to teach that lesson...

Maybe... maybe not. Of course my dad wasn't a perfect man, or even the perfect dad. No one is. But he did his best, he loved all of us, sacrificed for us, labored for us, and taught us much in the best way he knew. I certainly learned that crying is not an effective means for getting what I want just because I want it. Or to manipulate and exploit other people for my benefit. I certainly learned how to deal with difficulty without falling apart in the process.

... and not deny your feelings.

My feelings weren't denied. I wasn't told I couldn't feel what I was feeling. I was given better options. As soon as I was willing to be reasonable, to use my words and talk rationally, we could go from there. But tears and tantrums weren't going to do it.

I did much the same with my (now adult) kids -- the horrors!!! When I sent them to their room, for whatever reason, it was always with the understanding that as soon as they were ready to act right, or speak to me reasonably and respectfully, they could come out again. Even then, they complained because other kids just got "five minutes" or "ten minutes" and then they could come out... those kids didn't have to act right so why should they?

They know now. Because today, when my kids look around at so many of their age struggling in so many ways, my kids are thriving in all the best ways.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join