It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hate tech buzzwords!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I've long hated technology related "buzz-words". All buzzwords actually, but tech buzzwords in particular.

You know, the words that everyone picks up on because they sound "cool" and people use them because they feel they're going to make them look "hep" and intelligent; with the 'scene'...can you dig it, man? A lot of times I don't notice them at first. I'll hear one person say one and then not hear it for a while. Next thing you know the same word is showing up in every article, email, and advertisement you can imagine; it's plastered on the sides of buses, flashing on neon signs and all the "kool kids" are "down" with it. Other times, you can just tell right away when a word is going to become a buzzword. In either case, the next thing you know some dork-assed slackwater middle-manager (who has never been billable to a client a single day in his life, and is just pure dead weight overhead) is using the word trying to look intelligent like he's important and actually has a purpose. GRRRR! **hands around throat**

Some examples of buzzwords are words like:

"Core Competency"
"Deep Dive"
"Digital Transformation"
"Network" (as in, 'let's network')
"Bandwidth" (as in, 'do you have enough bandwidth for this task')
"Silos" (gawd, I especially hate this one!!)

Those are but just a few of many thousands of examples.

Well folks, in the last few days we've just heard another new one. I can already tell, it's going to be one of those words where 6 months from now when someone says it I'm going to feel like vomiting all over the table! Mark my words, folks, you're going to hear this word so much you'll feel like ramming your fingers down your throat way past your tonsils!!

And the winner is?????? **drumroll** Envelope please!

"DEPLATFORM / DEPLATFORMING / DEPLATFORMED"

edit on 1/11/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

My Husband is employed in the “computer” world. I completely understand what you are saying. I have sometimes over heard his calls for years now and there is always the newest buzz word.

I haven’t heard the term deplatforming yet - thank goodness- my eyes just might roll out of my head.

You are right about that term though, here are just a few:

Apple and Google face pressure to deplatform Parler over calls to violence

Deplatforming Works

IT’S TIME TO DEPLATFORM TRUMP

Those are the first three in a quick google search.

As a side note I have noticed media pronouncing the word “important” differently than what I have always heard in the past.

edit on 11-1-2021 by Onlyyouknow because: Add an s to eye.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Word gets around fast.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I'm sat on a laptop migration meeting listening out for the lastest BS buzzwords.

Usual suspects sadly but some of my favourites from back in the day ....

"Strategic Partners" - lets offshore and start mass layoffs
"Piece" / "Space" - same thing in my book
"Going Forward" - moving on easier surely
"Reach Out" - Ask a question ??
"Take That Offline" - pop to the smoking area and discuss
"Learnings" - this old chestnut
"Deliverables" - what we are all on this damned meeting to discuss

Any for anyone wanting to play for real ...

myfreebingocards.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I'd take all those words over....Hero.

I freakin hate that word now.#
#
If you fart and say excuse me...you are a Hero nowadays.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Working for a global corporation I get to use all those words regularly and then some. I'd prefer to use more plain English but in the ongoing effort to repress my inner Patrick Bateman I play the game. Although I use 'calories' instead of 'bandwidth' now since I felt like shaking things up.

edit on 11-1-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 07:23 AM
link   
"Stakeholder", "ask" (as in what is the ask for that?) "Capacity"

I've been in IT for over 30 years, every single solitary buzzword goes on my do-not-speak list.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Corporate buzzwords are almost as bad.

With husband sitting here beside me working from home now, he sometimes lets me listen in to corporate feelgood meetings that aren't crucial, and OMG, the buzzwords!

The best part about international though is the buzzwords in all the many accents!

edit on 11-1-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm a blue collar gal so unless I read the buzzwords online in articles I am usually not inundated with them.

I do have one that I have grown really tired of that was a hit this last year...

Systemic.

There are a few more that have really been over used these last few days...

Insurrection
Treason
Coup
Sedition
Seige

Most using these words have never heard of them before now and are unaware of how to use them correctly. They just keep repeating them over and over and over.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Insurrection
Treason
Coup
Sedition
Seige

Most using these words have never heard of them before now and are unaware of how to use them correctly. They just keep repeating them over and over and over.

I'll help.

Insurrection - a stage of sexual excitement that LARP'ers storming the Capitol get.

Treason - an arboreal child.

Coup - kind of car my old man drove.

Sedition- it's some sort of new math like divisiplication.

Siege - I think that's how you address our leaders and done so with your right arm completely outstretched, palm down.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 09:53 AM
link   

FCD, we are going to need you to ‘table’ that as we have other ‘low hanging fruit’ that we can ‘move the needle’ on that can create greater ‘impact’.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

This reply deserves a like button all of its own.

Quality

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I dream about walking around behind people with a nailgun in those types of meetings!

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 05:37 AM
link   

I really don't have the calories to engage you over that reply.

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 08:16 AM
link   
One jargon word that I discovered from ATS threads is the word "actor", used in a non-theatrical sense. That is, " a person who performs an action".
The context would be a mass shooting, or some other event. A source would say something like "Police think there may be more than one actor in the building", and conspiracy throry would pounce on the expression and cry "Aha! Haven't we always said...?"

new topics

top topics

join