It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd question on social media....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

It's very easy to find out without the mods or site owner, using logic.

You can not star someone twice, so there must be something happening that remembers and prevents that.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

In some situations is easy to know, those that say "xxxx is typing" or something like that have a way of knowing if the user is writing or not, so they have all they need to record every keystroke on their page.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

That would be a huge waste of resources, as there would be gathering information they will never look at.

But I'm sure they do that for certain countries, organisations and ISPs.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:15 AM
link   
As for ATS keylogging while you type, I would say no it isn't happening.

If ATS where an app and not a website, I would say it is very possible to log everything that is typed by a user before submission.

What ATS can do is install cookies in your browser to track your movement within the site and visit frequency. If that bothers you, install a browser that deletes cookies and history when it is closed.
edit on 10-1-2021 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:38 AM
link   

If that were true, I’d have been arrested log ago.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

It's very easy to find out without the mods or site owner, using logic.

You can not star someone twice, so there must be something happening that remembers and prevents that.

Ummm...the reason for my authoring the thread about star and flag...is that I was wondering if a members political and or other belief systems could be monitored or cataloged by the comments they were starring or flagging...even if they made no comments...and thus coupled with the information you provided to the site when you initially signed up...that your trend core beliefs could be catalogued...

That was my question...and my question was confirmed...

So you can always remain a lurker and never once post...yet your ideologies can be determined by simply trending your star and flag history...if you have one...

Now where does your anonymity really exist...?

YouSir

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Yes I know! I did not want to imply anything you pointed out.

I was merely saying what I said: By simple logic, one is able to figure it out. It's very simple and not complicated. That this information could be used against someone is intrinsic property of the piece of information you give (stars, likes, upvotes) and how it is prevented that you can not do it twice, is a direct follow up fact and a no brainer not even worth a thread, at least for me.

It's very straightforward, I bet if I asked my four year old daughter the same question but with an example that fit's her world view, she would come to that conclusion.

Add: I have found an example. My daughter loves to collect chestnuts, stones and clam shells. Two doors in my flat have round knobs she couldn't turn (by design). These are places she has nothing to search but I would find a clam shell or chestnut now and then. I asked her since when she can open those knobs and she grinned and told me that I found it out now finally.

She put those chestnuts there to give me an symbolic middle finger and she expected me to find and understand she was there and nothing bad happened.
That's my daughter

edit on 10.1.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: ...and nothing bad happened

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Ummm...perhaps in your mind you had already settled and accepted such...and further felt the odd desire to equate another’s question to the actions of a four year old...

In my mind however...I simply wanted confirmation from the powers that be on a question that I had been pondering...

So...thank you for exposing and espousing that innate need for you to showcase your zeal...

I’ll leave you to your...logic...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   

It wasn't meant rude, grow up.

n my mind however...I simply wanted confirmation from the powers that be on a question that I had been pondering...

Use your head then you do not need to rely on someone else explaining it to you.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: HalWesten

Not me, I don't write things that could get me in trouble.

A man without conviction. Good on ya, mate.

That's what you got from that? Well, I guess it was to be expected.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   

you know that kinda makes sense.. remember how much data SO said was stored from the forums and how much it cost. ATS has a lot of members but nothing like the monster platforms.

now is it possible that they may store the data for a period of time and delete it all except what was finally posted. that would make more sense, but then again after a while i would think cost of storage would out weigh the value of saving it for what ever reason.

edit on 10-1-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 08:49 AM
link   

It wasn't meant rude, grow up.

n my mind however...I simply wanted confirmation from the powers that be on a question that I had been pondering...

Use your head then you do not need to rely on someone else explaining it to you.

Ummm...then why are you here...?

Why do you bother to post...?

If your so finished and perfected...why wallow amongst the herd...you’ve obviously used your head and have no need for any explanation...or conversation...

Your questions have already all been answered there within the confines of your...self...

So logically...there is no reason for you to participate...there in your elevated imagination you already have everything you need...

The one question you never thought to ask was...why...?

YouSir

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 08:55 AM
link   
"ummmm" to show you a pathway to help yourself? You are projecting a lot. When I tell you it's simple logic that everyone can get behind, why do you think I act like I am perfect? I am far from perfect.

This "ummmmm" tick, do you do this in real life conversations too?

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   

"ummmm" to show you a pathway to help yourself? You are projecting a lot. When I tell you it's simple logic that everyone can get behind, why do you think I act like I am perfect? I am far from perfect.

This "ummmmm" tick, do you do this in real life conversations too?

Ummm...no...I just use that opening here...I also only use ellipses between natural breaks in structure here...

I do it to gauge the intellect of the mind that I’m fencing with and to show my complete distaste for conformity...

See...an astute person might realize that these are used to illustrate the utter lack of taking anything said or posted on a not so really anonymous social media site...seriously...

I don’t take you seriously...nor do I take any of my responses or posts seriously...

Why would I...or anyone...?

Hence also the little winking emoticon I always end my bored diatribes with...

Note that collectivism resides in...you...

I’ll go ahead and answer that question you never bothered to answer...that why...

For the historical record...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir
I’ll go ahead and answer that question you never bothered to answer...that why...

YouSir

I actually did, if you had bothered to try to read my message:

That this information could be used against someone is intrinsic property of the piece of information you give (stars, likes, upvotes) and how it is prevented that you can not do it twice, is a direct follow up fact and a no brainer not even worth a thread, at least for me.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 09:51 AM
link   

YouSir

I actually did, if you had bothered to try to read my message:

That this information could be used against someone is intrinsic property of the piece of information you give (stars, likes, upvotes) and how it is prevented that you can not do it twice, is a direct follow up fact and a no brainer not even worth a thread, at least for me.

Ummm...not that why...that was your response...and to something I had never asked or postulated...

The why...because I wished to make a thread about the subject in the first place...

So that there was a confirmational record...of the responses I received to a question of anonymity and ideological patterns being ascertained from merely using a...like...system...

That’s all...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
As for ATS keylogging while you type, I would say no it isn't happening.

If ATS where an app and not a website, I would say it is very possible to log everything that is typed by a user before submission.

A site can do that with Javascript detecting the keys pressed and sending that information to the server. That's probably one of the reasons the latest version of Facebook is so slow.

What ATS can do is install cookies in your browser to track your movement within the site and visit frequency. If that bothers you, install a browser that deletes cookies and history when it is closed.

All browser can do that, you just have to configure them that way.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

In some situations is easy to know, those that say "xxxx is typing" or something like that have a way of knowing if the user is writing or not, so they have all they need to record every keystroke on their page.

I was just about to write this.

If anyone thinks their typing isn't monitored or stored somewhere...they need look no further than the current messaging apps or programs that have the indicators that the other party is typing or getting ready to send something. That data is already being captured and, while some may not store it, a plethora of companies are.

Sometimes it's a hard pill to swallow.
The amount of data that is being collected today would shock everyone.

edit on 10-1-2021 by havok because: forgot to add ]

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Now where does your anonymity really exist...?

The recording of stars and flags given by a member is not a breach of anonymity (that was never promised on ATS), as those actions cannot identify who you are.
Yes, they can give an idea of how you think, but only if someone goes to the trouble of getting all the data and try to make some sense of it.

Stars, for example, should be easy to link to specific posts, but there's no automated way of knowing what was said in the starred post unless we read it, so I don't see an easy way of getting more information that 'member X flagged this post from member Y'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join