It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd question on social media....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 09:43 PM
link   
So I have wondered for a while if everything typed into a social media app you are on is actually captured.

Even when you backspace or clear what you just typed....basically capturing in real time.

So regardless of if you were hot-headed for a second and then deleted what you were about to post.....it would still capture your initial response or message.

Does that make sense?

I don’t think that could be implemented on a forum like ATS, but it could definitely be coded into an app and part of the T&A that nobody reads.

Think about it....keyloggers are one of the oldest tricks in the book.....

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 09:51 PM
link   
On Facebook, yes. It has an auto-refresh in the code that sends whatever you've typed back to their servers frequently. Like almost constantly.

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

That's why you write it in notepad and copy/paste.

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: billxam

A keylogger logs your keystrokes.

It does not care what program you are on.

Just sayin....

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: billxam

Not me, I don't write things that could get me in trouble.

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I followed you on Twitter, I don't now if you knew that or not. I am wondering if you bailed? I did on Wednesday afternoon.

I did a Tweet delete before I left. I am sure SM captures everything they can capture....including keylogging.

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I followed you on Twitter, I don't now if you knew that or not. I am wondering if you bailed? I did on Wednesday afternoon.

I did a Tweet delete before I left. I am sure SM captures everything they can capture....including keylogging.

Just curious...did you go to any other site yet? I want to get off TW but do NOT trust Parlor and don't know about others. Also, not sure how I can see relevant current news and talk to others...here on ATS would be enough I guess.

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Ummm...yes...yes they do...

Even ATS does that...

I once wrote a thread called “Star and flag tracking”...the premise...does ATS log your stars and flags...not just as a record of the ones you receive...but also when you give one or both without commenting...so that there is no anonymous backslapping...I was told by admin that they do know...if they choose to...

Pretty easy to extrapolate that into key stroke...despite delete...just like an edit to remove...
Everything you do here is a matter of record...everything...

Call it CYA...just not your ass that’s covered...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I did not know that....hope you liked my tweets!

I'm still there but also on Parler and Gab.....but I'm just on them to read....I am not real active at all. Same name on both...same avatar.....

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Not me, I don't write things that could get me in trouble.

A man without conviction. Good on ya, mate.

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I rarely saw you tweet, VC. I happened upon a comment in some twitter thread and recognized your profile pic. I was GoFakeYourselfMeghan.

I've gone underground on Telegram. I have a posse and we grouped there.

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 10:55 PM
link   
They can, but almost all don't. It's just too much useless traffic.

Everything that happens on your browser is "client side" and it all has to be sent "server side" for them to log or track it somewhere. The goal for most developers is to reduce the amount of calls to the server as possible.

One way to find out is by opening the Dev Tools in Chrome by pressing F12, and going to the Network tab. Every item you see in the list represents a call from your browser client to a server. If you see a bunch of items added to the Network list while you type a message in a box, it could mean they are sending the data to the server. As of right now I can see that ATS is not doing any Network calls while I type this.

However the items in the Network list will not always be what you type. It could be other traffic as well like ads, or other constant updates the server might do to refresh the content on your screen. You can always click on the item in the list and look at the Headers tab and scroll down to the Request portion, you may see the raw data sent.

For example, if you type something on ATS and click Reply while the Network tab is open you can see the request sent to the server and the data sent with it (the post itself). You will see it as "postit.php" if you search for it. Then click on it, click the Headers tab, and scroll down to the bottom where it says "Form Data". You will see the text that you wrote.

YouSir is not correct, ATS does not send data constantly.

edit on 9-1-2021 by More1ThanAny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: More1ThanAny1

edit on 9-1-2021 by Lumenari because: Stuff better left behind

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: billxam

Amen! Always.

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Ummm...so...your saying that when you edit a post on ATS...that your edit deletes the original from the server and the server only retains the edit and not the original post...?

YouSir

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir
Ummm...so...your saying that when you edit a post on ATS...that your edit deletes the original from the server and the server only retains the edit and not the original post...?

Unless I've misunderstood the OP that is not what is being discussed. I believe the OP is talking about tracking everything before you even click the "Reply" or "Edit" button to submit the post to ATS.

However, to answer your question, yes I believe if you click Edit on your post, change the text, then click Edit again to submit the changes to ATS it will do an UPDATE and overwrite your existing post. ATS will only retain the edit.

That would be standard practice for a database design. Unless you are trying to maintain a system of records, developers also want to reduce the size of the database. Creating a new record every time someone edits their post could inflate the database to a very large size. It's best to keep only one record per post which means after the initial INSERT query for the first post you would do UPDATE queries for every edit.

There may or may not be a logging system tracking all web requests and or DB changes where your old post may reside after you have changed it, but logs are usually cycled too so they don't inflate, and would be gone eventually. But that is all up to the sys admins and devs. Usually is only needed for debugging or security reasons.
edit on 10-1-2021 by More1ThanAny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 11:57 PM
link   

So, the moral is; screenshot every post ever.

edit on 1/9/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Snowden said that every keystroke on the planet is keylogged!

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Edward Snowden revealed that the NSA has been bulk collecting and storing everything ever done online, for the whole world, for some years.

His book was titled "Permanent Record" because that data is kept forever. It will never go away.

Everything. Every keystroke. Every 'phone call. Every social media post. Every search request. All the metadata that ties it all together.

And every four years, the President signs off on another round of bulk collection and storage, not to mention all the money paid to those who build and administer such systems.

Trump complained about his campaign being surveilled, but it didn't stop him approving the next round of surveillance against us, though.

edit on 10/1/2021 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I'm calling BS on the "every keystroke" part. This is testable and is not true.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join