It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian History: Horrific Protestant/Catholic executions.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 10:20 PM
link   
It's amazing how many people were executed in the most brutal fashion imaginable in 16th century England.

And I'm talking the most learned people of their time, who had their privy parts cut off, and were hanged drawn and quartered.
Bishops from either faith who professed a slight variance at the wrong time.

Many others were burnt alive.

All "Christians" doing this to other "Christians"?
Oh yeah.
Without batting an eyelash.

In the Catholic camp we have Margaret Clitherow, who was pressed to death using her own front door in 1586.
www.historic-uk.com...

In the Protestant camp we have Bishop John Hooper, who was burnt to death under Bloody Mary in 1555.

And a terrible death it was, it took three burning attempts and 45 minutes.
Tried twice, the historic account won't embed.
www.youtube.com...
Another take on it:

What would Jesus say?

Who had the most exemplary "Christian" execution?

And there are countless martyrs on both sides, some even canonized today.

I guess it's just "history".

edit on 8-1-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

What would Jesus say?

I'm no expert theologian, but I think he would most likely say "Hey man, Don't do that."

I don't know I always think of "The Dude"
When I imagine jesus..

No offense to any denomination, much love to all please don't start casting stones..

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The 20 Years War of the 1600s was an even more brutal dustup between the Catholics and the Protestants that ravaged most of Europe and clocked the highest Western death tolls until the US Civil War.

The bizzare thing is that it was highly manipulated by two clerics in France: Cardinal Richlieu and his sidekick "Father Joseph." They inflamed both sides by making backdoor deals with each group, with the goal of having every other power in Europe kill each other off so only France would be left standing strong at the end. Their plan was wildly successful and ushered in France's golden age as a great power at home and colonially.

The two ended up among the richest men in Europe from the debacle while in Germany things were so ruined that cannibalism ran rampant. Richlieu lived high on the hog in the lap of luxury. His partner Joseph, despite the vast power he gained, remained a stoic barefoot monk who slept on a hard board in a bare cell. The odd couple.

Aldous Huxley wrote a fantastic history of the whole debacle called "Gray Eminance." Highly recommend but hard to find these days.
edit on 8-1-2021 by Never Despise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman

What would Jesus say?

He was very clear, He chose death as opposed to forcing His own beliefs
Jesus never once, politically, socially or personally forced His opinion, just offered it

Never once acted like a politician, tv evangelist or celebrity.
Funny some christians

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 10:37 PM
link   

The Denouncing of the Scribes and Pharisees

23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to His disciples, 2 “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 Therefore, whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do their works. For they speak, but do nothing. 4 They fasten heavy loads that are hard to carry and lay them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves will not move them with their finger.

5 “They do all their works to be seen by men. They make their Scripture boxes broad and lengthen the tassels on their prayer shawls. 6 They love the places of honor at feasts, and the prominent seats in the synagogues, 7 and greetings in the marketplaces, and being called ‘Rabbi’ by men.

8 “But do not be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brothers. 9 And call no man on earth your father, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. 10 Nor be called teachers, for you have one Teacher, the Christ. 11 He who is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 For he who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

13 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven against men. For you neither enter yourselves, nor allow those who are entering to go in. 14 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! You devour widows’ houses and for pretense make long prayers. Therefore you will receive the greater condemnation.

15 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! You travel sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.

16 “Woe to you, blind guides, who say, ‘If anyone swears by the temple, it is nothing. But if anyone swears by the gold of the temple, he is obligated.’ 17 You blind fools! Which is greater, the gold or the temple that sanctifies the gold? 18 And you say, ‘If anyone swears by the altar, it is nothing. But if anyone swears by the gift on it, he is obligated.’ 19 You blind fools! Which is greater, the gift or the altar that sanctifies the gift? 20 Therefore he who swears by the altar, swears by it and by all things on it. 21 But he who swears by the temple, swears by it and by Him who dwells in it. 22 And he who swears by heaven, swears by the throne of God and by Him who sits on it.

23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! You tithe mint and dill and cumin, but have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done without leaving the others undone. 24 You blind guides who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!

25 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! You cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and greed. 26 You blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may also be clean.

27 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and of all uncleanness. 28 So you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! You build the tombs of the prophets, and adorn the memorials of the righteous, 30 and say, ‘If we lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have partaken with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31 Therefore you are witnesses against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers’ guilt.

33 “You serpents! You generation of vipers! How can you escape the judgment of hell? 34 Therefore I send you prophets, and wise men, and scribes. Some of them you will kill and crucify, and some you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute them from city to city, 35 that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Truly I say to you, all these things will come on this generation.

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I think had a lot of the true thinkers and humanitarian-style Christian leaders lived at that time, even the colonialism of the Americas might have been different.

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I am grateful that part of Christian history is well in the past. Now Christians are the ones being persecuted around the world and in America. The tables have turned.

ETA: I should add that I have a great respect for the Christian people. While I don't share their particular religious dogma I have found them to be amazing human beings on the whole. Some of the best people I have known have been Christians.
edit on 2021/1/8 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I would say this is a mostly fair statement. Except, in majority of the world, they may be being slandered and in some cases at risk of a livelihood for standing up for their faitj, but not quite yet at the level of being tossed to the lions ancient-Rome style.

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Don't forget all the Jewish Christians martyred by the catholic church because they would not celebrate the Sabbath on Sunday, they were called Judaizers. a reply to: halfoldman

edit on 8-1-2021 by Joeshiloh because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2021 by Joeshiloh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Read 'The Source" Better than Game of Thrones. a reply to: halfoldman

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Separation of church and state happened for a reason. Give Christians 100 percent power and we'd see a return to the horrors in no time.
Lol at Christians in the US being "persecuted", being held accountable for your words and actions is not persecution, its called "democracy". The only thing modern christians suffer from is a martyr complex and jealousy at the muslims for the freedom they have to exert thier religious lunacy on others, using force and violence.
edit on 8-1-2021 by Osirisvset because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 11:00 PM
link   
And there was an uprising called the Pilgrimage of Grace.

But the leader, Robert Aske was "hanged in chains".
Still some debate on what that meant, but most likely hanged in a gibbet exposed to the birds and elements until death.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Say there's a job as a translator at the court!

"You squire ... did we not drink and speak German? Will you not join the court"?

"Me? No I'm just a humble milk-maid, dusting the cows and 'nein' ... tee hee".

Well, there's a history lesson: never volunteer for anything.
edit on 9-1-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Osirisvset

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Give any person or group 100% power regardless of what they believe and tyranny always follows. Just in the last century alone, several atheistic governments executed more of their own people than have died in every single war in recorded history... because they (Russia, China, Cambodia) had 100% power.

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 02:18 AM
link   
A Tudor haunting.

I leave my wine glass full on the shelf, now it is half empty.

Poltergeists?

Nah just the Catholic priest hiding in the walls.

edit on 9-1-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 09:12 AM
link   
He who is without sin?

I think what made It worse, is that they were very innovative in comparison to other customary forms of capital punishment. It almost to the point that it was scientific, an barbaric like the Holocaust.

Thing is, Christians or Judeo Christians used to be persecuted by both ancient Israel, an Rome too. They were thrown in gladiator pits unarmed labeled as Noxies, an more then likely slavery, even Cruicifed. And even before that, Babylon said harsh treatment of the Israelites too.

edit on 9-1-2021 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: badwhiskey

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Give any person or group 100% power regardless of what they believe and tyranny always follows. Just in the last century alone, several atheistic governments executed more of their own people than have died in every single war in recorded history... because they (Russia, China, Cambodia) had 100% power.

Exactly! I was actually going to include several other religions/ideologies in that statement aswell but as the topic was christianity i just went with that.
edit on 9-1-2021 by Osirisvset because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 07:09 AM
link   

As above so below?

If that's the case i can only imagine the state Heaven is in by now.

The problem being anthropomorphised invisible omnipotent omnipresent sky gods that always want our monies and attendance in spades.

edit on 10-1-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Joeshiloh

I started to listen to a Messianic Rabbi several years ago.
I ended up quitting the Baptist church and now observe
the true sabbath,sunset friday through sunset saturday.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Decided to change my mind,not worth any response.
edit on 10-1-2021 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join