It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover a New State of Matter: Liquid Glass

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: HalWesten
I heard that in school many years ago. I hope no one said it was a new discovery.

According to the article this is being touted as a new state or phase of matter. Whereas in other forms of liquid which have a very orderly freeze pattern, liquid glass has a very random pattern when freezing. I think the randomness upon freezing is the exciting part. IDK, just wanted to bring it to ATS for dissection.

Yes, it's very interesting but it's not new, that's all I'm saying. We've known about these properties for hundreds of years. Even in the USA there are buildings a few hundred years old with glass that you can see a huge difference between the top and bottom because of the viscosity.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all

Hello, ATS. So, I've come across this article where they claim to have a new state of Matter known as liquid glass. Apparently, glass is considered neither a solid nor a liquid but instead what's called a Rigid Liquid, which I didn't know. This post may be a little confusing because the headline says "New State of Matter" while in the article it says "New Phase of matter." Whichever it is, it sounds pretty cool.

In exciting new research, scientists have uncovered a new phase of matter: liquid glass.

Glass has special, wild properties that make it of ongoing interest to scientists as well as the general public, meaning research into glass behavior is still making pretty big strides forward. Liquid glass could help scientists better understand other pieces of the glass puzzle.

Think about how ice freezes—not just in your freezer, but even in snowflake form or over puddles. You can see with the naked eye how orderly this process is, with crystals forming and extending toward the center of the pond, for example, or around the edge of the ice cube tray. This is how almost every liquid turns into almost every solid: by organizing and becoming crystalline first.

But not glass. This mysterious liquid-to-solid transition is more like teenagers caught at a kegger: frozen exactly in place, with no order whatsoever.

So, glass is neither liquid or solid...? And it's transition between liquid and solid has no order.....? I think if this concept is applied to the right applications the possibilities could be limitless. This makes me think about something I heard concerning Jupiter some years back where some scientists were postulating on whether Jupiter had a giant diamond for its sore or something like that. This also makes me think of the Terminator in Terminator 2 which operated utilizing liquid metal. But hey, what do I know? I'll leave it up to the scientific wizards at ATS to mull over this. So, What say u, ATS?

www.popularmechanics.com...

Wait till they teach you about molecular entrainment which is the control mechanism that will bring us many new things.

Actually, particle entanglement at absolute zero. It's a quantum thing ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: one4all

Hello, ATS. So, I've come across this article where they claim to have a new state of Matter known as liquid glass. Apparently, glass is considered neither a solid nor a liquid but instead what's called a Rigid Liquid, which I didn't know. This post may be a little confusing because the headline says "New State of Matter" while in the article it says "New Phase of matter." Whichever it is, it sounds pretty cool.

In exciting new research, scientists have uncovered a new phase of matter: liquid glass.

Glass has special, wild properties that make it of ongoing interest to scientists as well as the general public, meaning research into glass behavior is still making pretty big strides forward. Liquid glass could help scientists better understand other pieces of the glass puzzle.

Think about how ice freezes—not just in your freezer, but even in snowflake form or over puddles. You can see with the naked eye how orderly this process is, with crystals forming and extending toward the center of the pond, for example, or around the edge of the ice cube tray. This is how almost every liquid turns into almost every solid: by organizing and becoming crystalline first.

But not glass. This mysterious liquid-to-solid transition is more like teenagers caught at a kegger: frozen exactly in place, with no order whatsoever.

So, glass is neither liquid or solid...? And it's transition between liquid and solid has no order.....? I think if this concept is applied to the right applications the possibilities could be limitless. This makes me think about something I heard concerning Jupiter some years back where some scientists were postulating on whether Jupiter had a giant diamond for its sore or something like that. This also makes me think of the Terminator in Terminator 2 which operated utilizing liquid metal. But hey, what do I know? I'll leave it up to the scientific wizards at ATS to mull over this. So, What say u, ATS?

www.popularmechanics.com...

Wait till they teach you about molecular entrainment which is the control mechanism that will bring us many new things.

Actually, particle entanglement at absolute zero. It's a quantum thing ;-)

Cheers - Dave

Quantum or light/frequency Resonant management.

edit on 6-1-2021 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2021 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Beam me up Scotty eh?

Aye i was rather surprised when i discovered that myself.

Probably not the best material for space whale tanks all the same, but some cool stuff nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: CthulhuMythos
I do remember years ago seeing a programme on the TV about how glass is a very very thick liquid and that can be demonstrated when looking at hundreds of years old church windows which now are way thicker at the bottom edge of the panes compared to the top edges. I remember finding that so fascinating as I had always thought glass was a solid.

I'm going to look this up now but I'm sure that was just a misconception.

I'll be back...

Thank you for the enlightenment 🙂
I guess science has had some discoveries since I saw that documentary long ago. I'm partly dismayed as I always found that an interesting fact, all be it a non-fact now
edit on 8-1-2021 by CthulhuMythos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I don't see how studying Amber disproved glass.

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
I want to know when they're going to discover transparent aluminum!

Yes..that will come or they already have it. I know that the universe of the StarTrek enterprise has transperant aluminium..they created an enormes fishtank with it to transport a whale..

posted on Jan, 19 2021 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Is this kind of like Pluto uprooting our understanding of our solar system when it went from planet to dwarf-planet?

Peace

top topics

<< 1   >>

join