It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trafficked w/ Mariana Van Zeller - What Am I Really Seeing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 12:29 AM
link   
There's been lot's of things I see on all kinds of documentary and "reality" type of journalistic shows that have me shaking my head a little. This show, I'm only partway through ep3 but there's a whole lot of re-creation going on. Drone shots of clandestine meetings with very paranoid members of criminal enterprises, all those little shots of hands wringing or whatever, how could they get that many cameras into such situations raises questions as to the authenticity of what I'm seeing.

Not just that, but this lady has been all over the world in the last year or so chasing so many different stories....where's the time for all this to happen? It seems just a bit unrealistic. There's only so many days to get all of these incredibly complex stories together when it usually takes years to get all the dots lined up just to get the kind of access she gets.

I really don't know what to think. Truthfully, what am I really seeing?
edit on 1/6/2021 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 01:27 AM
link   
m.huffpost.com...

2001, she started at Columbia Journalism School, and a month later was called on to report for a Portugese news network on the events of 9/11, a turning point she says fueled her drive to report on international issues. In 2003, she moved to Syria and went undercover to report on Syrian Mujahideen crossing into Iraq to fight American forces. Among other stories spanning global issues, Mariana has since covered conflicts in the Amazon jungle, took a ride on the “Death Train” to uncover the risks Central American migrants take to make it to the U.S., and reported on the controversial proposed Uganda law that would make being gay punishable by life in prison or death.

Lots of hard experience im guessing. Like she says on the show, she often shows skeptical criminals her resume (past photos).

Her past work establishes her as a credible journalist, i cant imagine she would want to risk that to make up a documentary series.
edit on 6-1-2021 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2021 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

It's more what kind of BS are the producers showing me. I trust her but wonder about the reality tv aspect. There's clearly re-enactments and I am becoming more and more skeptical of pretty much anything these days.

It just is striking me as too much. This isn't the only show but what she's exposing is wild and it just seems to be a lot much for her and her crew to be doing.

I wan't to believe but I have to retain some level of skepticism. And all I can say about anything, for the most part, is i don't know.

I do have coming in the mail
The Franklin Scandal: A Story of Powerbrokers, Child Abuse & Betrayal
Bryant, Nick

And this episode is about human trafficking so I'm not doubting her reporting it's the tv aspect that might be misleading.

I don't know if I'm making myself clear. This "reality" style of "journalism" on tv bugs me. I'm not totally convinced what I see is reality. What is real and what is not is a constant struggle for me. My beliefs, or truths, or whatever it is I might or might not think is the truth is highly subjective.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Some time ago I saw a newsdocumentary on CNN about the modern slavetrade (incl. the term "migrant workers") in Africa, then in between CNN actually had the audacity* to show commercials for Qatar Airways (or the other one from the UAE). Places like Qatar and the UAE is where these slaves/migrant workers end up. The irony and hypocrisy of it all (Qatar Airways is a product of the ruling elite in Qatar and has their full support, those who allow the mistreatment of migrant workers and do nothing for their plight, happily keeping the whole profitable system in place). *: which they do all the time but to actually do it right in between the documentary supposedly condemning the slave trade and how migrant workers are treated akin to slaves, that just takes the cake on the hypocrisy front, and the audacity of flaunting their hypocrisy so blatantly in front of their audience who are none the wiser, because they don't see the connection or the irony and hypocrisy of it all. And CNN knows they can get away with it without any backlash from their supposed pro-social justice "woke" audience, who only get upset about what leftwing lobbyists want them to get upset or excited about. They see a problem in the harmless tweets of a Gina Carano (Mandalorian actress), getting her cancelled from the show with their fake uproar, but see no problem whatsoever in showing commercials for Qatar Airways (and similar corporations with close ties to oppressive governments, that oppress not only migrant workers, but also women and foreigners in general, especially those who don't have a lot of money to invest in their countries or are not potential business relations).

And I'm still regularly seeing commercials on CNN for Qatar Airways, so much for caring...

They must be paying well for their commercials. Or there just is no cost in terms of image for CNN for showing those commercials. Everytime I see them I cringe because of the whole hypocrisy and irony of it all. Yeah sure, CNN is against slavery and exploitation of colored people? I don't think so, only when it suits their political agenda; when it's about advertizing revenue, they're happy to promote the biggest slave traders or exploiters and their products and corporations.

Just in case you didn't know, this is an ad (for potential investors, business travellers and upper class potential tourists tuning into CNN; promoting Dubai as 'the place to be', a place of wonder and the latest technological and architectural innovation and accompanying business, tourism or investment opportunities):

And this is news:

And these are ads:

Ah what wonderful progressive idols and rolemodels we have who stand up against the exploitation of women, they're so woke:

The last one is an ad as well in case you didn't notice because it's presented as something else.
Everyone gets on board with promoting the slaveplanes (airlines built on slaveprofits, or having close ties with those profiting from so-called "migrant workers"):

edit on 12-3-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join