It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you do this to your kids?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I work a lot. I'm a service technician and I visit peoples' homes. I've worked from sunny California to the Windy City. Covid don't stop me.

I don't care if you're black, brown, white, or purple or green. I just want to get your sheet done, get paid, and get some nap time.

I've seen just about everything at this point--all the proverbial skeletons in the closet. I am a professional, and I am a pretty neutral and non-judgmental person.

I had an experience last week that is still grating on my moral code.

I did some work in a house where the proud mum was a non-English speaker. I mean, I don't care--¿Donde queiro la caja? gets me through most jobs. I can usually make it work.

But parents who make their kids act as translator can irk me sometimes. Usually it's not a big deal, their teenage kid can translate pretty well.

However, I was recently faced with a translator who had to be about 4-5 years old.

Sometimes I need to convey technical concepts that require the vocabulary beyond a freaking 5 year old. I really wonder what the 'lost in translation' information turns out as once it reaches the parent customer.

I felt like a freaking fool talking to a toddler about technical issues that they needed to pass along to their parent to make a decision.

I used to be a student of cultural studies and anthro. I am seriously interested in how these kids grow up, having to be a full-time translator, mediator, arbitrator for their parents--on call 24/7.

I make no judgment. There is no embarrassment in the equation for me. People come here seeking the good life and I'm all for that. But what do these kids feel, having their parents so dependent on them for a good 2 decades?

Isn't it worth it to invest in some ESL courses or get a few textbooks/tapes? I dunno, maybe I come across as a bigot. Liberalism tells immigrants that there's no value in learning English, just be you. Melting pot be damned.

I really wonder how these kids feel about being called upon as a tool because parents refuse to learn even a little bit of the language of the land.

I get that sometimes people understand more English than they let on, but come on, why are you forcing your very, very young children to translate to you. I can only imagine them growing up feeling taken advantage of and objectified because parents couldn't put in a little more effort.

Ugh.

/end rant.

edit on 5-1-2021 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I’m a native Spanish speaker so this one hits very close. First thing that comes to mind is your surroundings, if you are surrounded with other Spanish speakers either at home/work or both chances are you won’t develop a need to learn English. Second is education level, some people come to the US without having a solid education background and even with a solid education background it can be a struggle.

Third, age... the older you are the more difficult it is to learn a language. For example, in my current job we have language programs that are mostly targeted for the young employees, part of it is ROI but studies show that the aptitude to learn a new language decreases the older you get.

As far as using kids to translate...Meh... kids are fine, they learn two languages at a very young age and that can gives them an advantage later on in life.
edit on 5-1-2021 by Bunch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I work at a preschool in CA. I want to tell famikies about their child. It is near impossable with the language barrior. I can speak Very Broken Spanish. I have many families from India and Pasific Islands. The children are too young to describe thwir day... It is tough and I can tell that both aides are struggling. I am happy because the child is in the right place to pick up languages and by the time they are ready for Kidnergarden, they are bilingual.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 01:21 AM
link   
"the older you are the more difficult it is to learn a language" I don't believe that. In my experience when under pressure or enthusiastic about something. It's like having photographic memory.a reply to: Bunch

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bunch

I understand some of the factors in play, for sure. I mean, my Spanish isn't very good either so I don't fault anyone. When customers tell me their English isn't good, I just apologize and tell them my Spanish isn't very good either but we'll make it work.

It's not just Spanish speakers specifically though. I've dealt with a lot of Chinese and Russian clients. Once I had a 9 year old Russian kid who was Man of the House.

This particular event just happened to be a Hispanic family and I met my youngest translator ever. I can't tell you how awkward I felt trying to get some technical issues and questions across.

There was just something about it. It was clear the kids wanted to play, but mom would call them on command to come translate every so often.

It felt bizarre to say the least.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: CopeLongCut

If by pressure you mean “need” then I believe you are correct. When I came to the USA I had a big NEED to learn English but English for me wasn’t as foreign as it is to many people because of previous education and even then was a bit of a struggle.

As far as being enthusiastic well I don’t know about that but I do stand by statement about age. I could link you up to plenty of studies but I think you can research that yourself.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bunch
a reply to: CopeLongCut

If by pressure you mean “need” then I believe you are correct. When I came to the USA I had a big NEED to learn English but English for me wasn’t as foreign as it is to many people because of previous education and even then was a bit of a struggle.

As far as being enthusiastic well I don’t know about that but I do stand by statement about age. I could link you up to plenty of studies but I think you can research that yourself.

"If by pressure you mean “need”

Being under pressure doesn't mean you need anything. You can just give up. Just saying.

I never mention "need". I said under pressure or enthusiastic.
edit on 5-1-2021 by CopeLongCut because: Being under pressure doesnt mean you need anything. You can just give up. Just saying.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I can definitely understand the frustration.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bunch

I can definitely understand the frustration.

It's not exactly frustration. I am very respectful with all my clients and customers.

I am just rambling and ranting. I am also genuinely curious how these young kids grow up feeling about being a full-time translator.

It is a pretty big responsibility. And professional translators get paid hand over fist! These kids do it for free.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Three things about speaking the language. UK experience.

1. Studies show that people who do not speak English are socially disadvantaged. This was in relation to (for example) Pakistani households where the men spoke English so could get jobs, but the women could not so could do nothing - not even complain to the police about abuse. This "language" poverty is often used as a means of control and is only now being recognised as a problem.

2. The new post-Brexit immigration rules for the UK stipulate that immigrants must be able to speak English!

3. After a few disasters, doctors and other medical professionals licensed to practice in the UK must speak English and be able to communicate effectively. You won’t get a job if you cannot be understood!

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Bunch

You are correct. I worked for years doing home medical visits. I came across areas were people from different areas around the globe congregated, and some of the residents never learned to speak English.

The case that stood out for me was a patient that lived in an area that was nick named Little Italy. I had to go next door and get one of the nuns to translate for her. She came to America as a young bride, and relied on her husband for everything. He never allowed her to get behind the wheel of a car even.

He passed away and left her relying on strangers, because she could not speak a word of English after being in America for over sixty years.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I myself am a 'foreigner' in the UK. However my ilk never really stick together. Almost all Germans I know don't live in German enclaves or even have German friends much, plus we learn English at school.
It took me about 2 months to actually really understand TV though, because I am from a generation that just didn't have the internet and we never spoke English bar trying to understand our favourite lyrics.
However I was so happy, excited and proud to be allowed to live in England that I immersed myself.

That said, I met the loveliest lady at my job back in the day [30 years ago] who was from Spain. She took me an my now husband under her wings like a mother. However she also had been in England for over 30 years at that point and yet whilst she could speak it kind of ok, but with a heavy accent, she probably had no interest in getting any better or trying to even learn to read or write it.
[My husbands gran who was from Malta never learned English in all her 50+ years here, which was sad].
However the Spanish lady really disappointed me when she wrote notes. Here is what I found one day:

Ju mota kal.

This is after 30+ years in this country. With billboards and magazines that show these words. It takes a special kind of ignoring these to not just recognise but blatantly refuse to have a brainwave and say to yourself: ahh, that's how it is spelled.

It took me minutes of staring at the note next to the phone and when I read it out aloud it came to me: Your mother called.

I mean there are life circumstances and then there is such disdain for the country you live in that you don't even want to learn the basics.
I just know that wherever I would live at whatever age, even if I lived in a German bubble. I would need to learn as much as I could, if I liked the place. The only reason I can come up with not to is:

a) I hate it there and am just there to make money
b) I hope that this is only temporary and I don't need to learn anything new
c) I have absolutely no interest in the host country
c) I am too stupid

To use kids as translators is just lazy. If you have a bilingual kid, learn from it. It doesn't feel nice for the kid either if their parents can't be arsed. Especially when they eventually date and bring someone home. This happened to me when we visited my husbands Nan. There was zero communication. Which was a big shame for all of us.

People, have some pride, unfortunately you can be very clever but when you don't sound it, people naturally think you are stupider than you are. It's human nature.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I work with a guy that is in his late 40's. He moved to PA from Puerto Rico when he was 12 years old. He has 11 brothers and sisters. He is the only one in his family that speaks English, and he is difficult to understand.
I wouldn't want to be in the situation where the majority of people that I interact with do not speak my language.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Maybe they don't have a choice. It's either the kid, or no communication at all.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   
You are right about this. Why not carry an English language book, and conveniently..."forget it"?*

* Yes, I did. Several times to Middle Eastern residents!

edit on 5-1-2021 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 02:07 PM
link   

You’re hot, man. I like your mind.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

You’re hot, man. I like your mind.

Hey, right back at ya! I always stop to see what you have to say.

I thank you for the compliment

new topics

top topics

join