It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor aka asteroid hit Greenland 11800 years ago (help)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2021 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

ok thanks for the clarification.

this may be of interest....
No, there's no such thing as a solar micronova

snoopyuk
edit on 7-1-2021 by snoopyuk because: url

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DaRAGE
I am searching for evidence that an asteroid or meteor or whatever hit Greenland about 11800 years ago. It hit the massive amount of ice that was on top of Greenland.

I cannot find it anywhere.

I was quite certain it was something like 11800 years ago. In fact the amount of time for where this asteroid hit greenlands ice shelf was quite specific, however it was sometime in the 11000 years and it could have been 11080, 11880, etc. I was quite certain about that. It was not average 12000 years. It was quite specific.

Is anyone able to find me such a specific date?
I did some research. Some researchers hypothesize a specific date, but there's no confirmation. This article provides a date range:

Massive crater under Greenland’s ice points to climate-altering impact in the time of humans
This graphic from the arcle shows the date of the impact could be 12,800 years ago, and there is some evidence to support that, but it's not conclusive, yet. So the date range extends from 12800 years ago to 100,000 years ago:

The illustration shows where Greenland ice cores have been taken. It's possible they can narrow down the date by taking more ice cores, but those aren't cheap so it's not something they will go do on a whim, they will need some funding to take more ice cores. There's no guarantee more ice cores will pin down a date, but they might.

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Thanks for the research. I still havnt been able to find a specific date but I did recently find a 11,700 year date as well. Thanks for the information though.

I have recently come to learn that greenland ice core date samplings are highly inaccurate when it comes to dates.

It appears that ocean sediment layers and dates that way are much more accurate.
edit on 12-1-2021 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaRAGE
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Thanks for the research. I still havnt been able to find a specific date but I did recently find a 11,700 year date as well. Thanks for the information though.
I found specific dates, but they are not confirmed.

I have recently come to learn that greenland ice core date samplings are highly inaccurate when it comes to dates.
How inaccurate? Got any links? I'm interested in accuracy.

It appears that ocean sediment layers and dates that way are much more accurate.
I wouldn't have expected that, got any links about that?

Speaking of links, here's one that says Greenland ice core dating is probably accurate to a few years per thousand. so the way I read that is something like 12,000 years dating would be accurate to within plus or minus 36 or 48 years, if 3 or 4 is a "few", though the paper goes into more detail about accuracy of the various dating methods.

Dating of Greenland Ice Cores by Flow Models, Isotopes, Volcanic Debris, and Continental Dust

Seasonal variations in the concentrations of insoluble microparticles and/or stable isotopes are measured over the entire 400 m lengths of three ice cores, recovered by Greenland Ice Sheet Program (GISP). The resulting absolute time scales are probably accurate within a few years per thousand.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
So the date range extends from 12800 years ago to 100,000 years ago:
This video by NASA popped up in my youtube suggested videos, and suggests a similar date range, and says we are still not really sure about the impact date except it's relatively recent in geologic terms. It talks about how the crater was found.

Massive Crater Discovered Under Greenland Ice

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join