It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Harvard professor says an alien visited in 2017 — and more are coming

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Were we listening? Did we have the right "ears"?

We were listening, SETI used the Allen Telescope Array.

We were looking for a signal that would prove that this object incorporates some technology – that it was of artificial origin,” says Gerry Harp, lead author of a paper to be published in the February 2019 issue of Acta Astronautica. “We didn’t find any such emissions, despite a quite sensitive search. While our observations don’t conclusively rule out a non-natural origin for ‘Oumuamua, they constitute important data in assessing its likely makeup.”

Observations were made between November 23 and December 5, 2017, using the wide-band correlator of the ATA at frequencies between 1 and 10 GHz and with a frequency resolution of 100 kHz. No signals were found at a level that would be produced by an omnidirectional transmitter on-board the object of a power of about 10 watts or more. In portions of the radio spectrum that are routinely cluttered by artificial satellite telemetry, the threshold for detection was higher. In all cases, these limits to the powers that could be detected are quite modest – comparable to that of a citizen band radio.
www.seti.org...

I would think it would make more sense to transmit any data it found on the return journey rather than at its destination ... if it were an Extraterrestrial object designed to transmit observation data.

Oumuamua passed closest to earth on September 6 and reached perihelion on September 9 so Oumuamua had over 2 and a half months to broadcast before we even started listening.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
The angular momentum caused by its rotation caused its unusual trajectory. It would tend to follow a straight line if not influenced by the Suns' gravity. A none rotating comet or asteroid will go around the sun in a tighter curve. Also, the gravity assist from the Suns' gravitational field caused it to change velocity as it made its pass, which provided the acceleration out of the solar system, as was observed.

Any source for this or is it speculation?

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   
We should have landed something on it, or at least done more. It wasn’t like it’s appearance took us by surprise, we saw it coming and we knew it wasn’t one of ours. Just being a confirmed object not from our solar system should have been reason enough to do more with the object. Perhaps it would have turned up nothing, perhaps it would have been the amazing discovery we needed. We’ll never know. A missed opportunity.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

The angular momentum caused by its rotation caused its unusual trajectory. It would tend to follow a straight line if not influenced by the Suns' gravity. A none rotating comet or asteroid will go around the sun in a tighter curve. Also, the gravity assist from the Suns' gravitational field caused it to change velocity as it made its pass, which provided the acceleration out of the solar system, as was observed.

I'd like for you to show me an example of an asteroid or comet that doesn't rotate.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
I will admit, I haven't looked deeply into Oumuamua as a lot of other people but what I've read from the Professor makes sense.

"Avi Loeb, the chair of Harvard’s Department of Astronomy, believes he’s already found some of that garbage.

In his upcoming book, “Extraterrestrial: The First Sign of Intelligent Life Beyond Earth” (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), out Jan. 26, the professor lays out a compelling case for why an object that recently wandered into our solar system was not just another rock but actually a piece of alien technology."
I tend to agree this with those posters who say this sounds a lot like marketing for Loeb's upcoming book.

He's entitled to his opinion of course, but there are lots of other scientists with lots of other opinions, and I have looked into various research papers on this object. Here's one that says no aliens need to be involved:

The Natural History of 'Oumuamua

The faintness of 'Oumuamua, together with the limited time window within which observations were possible, constrained the information available on its dynamics and physical state. Here we review our knowledge and find that in all cases the observations are consistent with a purely natural origin for 'Oumuamua. We discuss how the observed characteristics of 'Oumuamua are explained by our extensive knowledge of natural minor bodies in our Solar System and our current knowledge of the evolution of planetary systems. We highlight several areas requiring further investigation.

I discuss some other scientific papers in one of the other ATS threads on this object:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tjocksteffe

Since I am considered to be incapable of critical thinking and should believe what I am told, then it must be speculation.

Believing that its an alien probe is idiotic in my opinion. May the professor sell many books to his followers.

edit on 3-1-2021 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   

a reply to: tjocksteffe

Since I am considered to be incapable of critical thinking and should believe what I am told, then it must be speculation.

Believing that its an alien probe is idiotic in my opinion. May the professor sell many books to his followers.

Followers?

This is how the process is supposed to work. One the world leading theoretical physicist in the field of astrophysics has looked at the data, come to a conclusion and publishes his theory.

But good to know your expertise and review of professor Loeb's work has led you to believe his theory is idiotic.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

I'd like for you to show me an example of an asteroid or comet that doesn't rotate.

X 2.

Not rotating is not the only extraordinary thing about 'Oumuamua.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublant

X 2.

Especially not since it was rotating.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: merka

X 2.

No it wasn't. It had movement, it was not rotating.
edit on 3-1-2021 by Sublant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 04:34 PM
link   
It was determined to be five to ten times longer than wide and exhibited two axis of rotation, spinning around its longitudinal axis and tumbling around its lateral axis.

Think For Yourself

edit on 3-1-2021 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Here are two articles by the author in the New Yorker and the Scientific American. The New Yorker may require a subscription to read.

blogs.scientificamerican.com...

www.newyorker.com...

On October 19, 2017, astronomers at the University of Hawaii spotted a strange object travelling through our solar system, which they later described as “a red and extremely elongated asteroid.” It was the first interstellar object to be detected within our solar system; the scientists named it ‘Oumuamua, the Hawaiian word for a scout or messenger. The following October, Avi Loeb, the chair of Harvard’s astronomy department, co-wrote a paper (with a Harvard postdoctoral fellow, Shmuel Bialy) that examined ‘Oumuamua’s “peculiar acceleration” and suggested that the object “may be a fully operational probe sent intentionally to Earth’s vicinity by an alien civilization.” Loeb has long been interested in the search for extraterrestrial life, and he recently made further headlines by suggesting that we might communicate with the civilization that sent the probe. “If these beings are peaceful, we could learn a lot from them,” he told Der Spiegel.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Anyone who says the odds are "a quadrillion to one" is making stuff up.

Not only does matey have a book to sell, he is also planning to launch ultra fast light driven crafts to Alpha Centauri using exactly the design he claims this craft has:
www.cfa.harvard.edu...

And "Breakthrough Starshot" is the same initiative as "Breakthrough Listen" which just happened to receive a message from Alpha Centauri the other day:
www.forbes.com...

The odds on that happening are......Astronomical

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 07:11 PM
link   

The rest of the scientific community disagree with him though, there's just not enough evidence.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: neoholographic

I am not that clued up on these things, but if it was a " probe " would it not have been sending transmissions back to it's home planet ?

Would those transmissions not have been detected on Earth ?

You just made me realize that if one were able to travel through wormholes then you would also send and receive your messages "instantly" through communication wormholes as well... Why send them with snail mail through the universe with a slow radio broadcast? Your civilization wouldn't even be there to receive it...
edit on 3-1-2021 by samlf3rd because: misspelling

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 11:05 PM
link   

At 2 minutes in you see a video of the trajectory of this object

More in-depth

edit on 3-1-2021 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Solar sails are inefficient.

I think it's surface may function more like a solar panel.

It may have used solar charge plus gravitational slingshot maneuver to GTFO of dodge after assessing homo sapiens.

I'd come back here and do something about it before we threaten other civilizations.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: merka

X 2.

No it wasn't. It had movement, it was not rotating.

It was rotating about once every 8.1 hours.

This rock has a circular radius of 200 meters (I'm using the biggest value), but what about the angular velocity? Since it takes 8.1 hours for one rotation, ω would be 2 times π divided by 8.1 hours. Of course I really need this time in seconds, so that gives me: ....some mathematical equations that you might not comprehend.

If we want to explain how the rotation is for the purposes of " imitation" gravity then this gives a centripetal acceleration of 9.3 x 10-6 m/s2 or an apparent weight that is just 9.48 x 10-7 of that on Earth—in other words, it's super tiny.

In other words, not likely. Unless they (the proposed aliens) weigh as much or less then bacterium. Which is entirely possible but obviously not very plausible....considering the size of the human brain. Get it?

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ziplock9000

The rest of the scientific community disagree with him though, there's just not enough evidence.

Perhaps not in his eyes. Though it seems we all suffer from a biased interpretation from time to time in our plucky little lives.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Like the professors opinion, this thread has very little, arguably nothing to offer to field of ufology as far as evidence of his claims.

He has a better job title than most to help defend his opinion as he sells his books... a reply to: neoholographic

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join