It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electric boxes not on the shelves.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SwissMarked

I am well versed in the ways of angry pixies....

But thank you for the offer.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Amazingly the windows and siding came in right on time, not sure if they have a good supplier or what. Would be about the only thing they've gotten right so far...

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

If I drive to Canada with cash can I get the lumber I need?

I'm not that far, and was intending to break ground on my hone this past summer. Trying to timber frame but suddenly I can't buy any timber.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I am well versed in the ways of angry pixies....

But thank you for the offer.

Good deal... honestly your best bet is a regular electric supply house... Home Depot/Menard’s/Lowe’s have been kind of ridiculous with stuff lately... almost every tool I’ve needed lately from Home Depot I’ve had to order because they don’t keep anything “pro grade” in stock anymore...

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

I put a metal roof on my house a couple months ago and the projected wait time was 3 to 4 weeks.

They delivered in 8 days...

No clue how that happened..

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

Can you currently cross the border?
I don't know anything about Canada's supply but it might be the same if their lumber mills have closed down.
edit on 31-12-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I have used the local supply house.
Unfortunately they tend to be 7 to 5 and I end up at a box store after they have closed.

I only do my own home projects so I'm not using these type of supplies every day.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

What the hell is going on?

The world is hiccuping, didn't you notice?

If you're lucky, the slow boat from China may get through and you will be able to buy more plastic stuff because it's your right.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Companies only store so many products as to not decrease yhe value or make them effectively worthless. We shut down a lot of production but little to no construction, what did people think would come of it?

You can't quit producing and not conserve and expect not to run out of products.

People seem to think that the clock changing to 12:01 means all the bad things that happened during 2020 miraculously dissapear. 2020 has no end, the changes made during 2020's effects will be here forever.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

What the hell is going on?

The world is hiccuping, didn't you notice?

If you're lucky, the slow boat from China may get through and you will be able to buy more plastic stuff because it's your right.

I believe carlon electrical boxes are made in the USA.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: RenaJN
supply chains messed up everywhere, even on things that don't make any sense.
Don't cheap out and go for the plastic boxes, boxes are meant to be grounded, wait for the metal boxes to be restocked.

What? No they're not, that's why you use 12/2 with ground wire or 14/2 with ground wire instead of just two-strand. I have frequented Menards and Home Depot many times this year doing repairs/upgrades on our old house and they have never been out of anything like that. Wood was scarce this past summer due to the area floods and prices are definitely higher but that's it. There may be long wait times when you order something due to Covid, but that's all I've seen in our area. Oh, and freezers have been non-existent most of the year.
edit on 31-12-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I put a metal roof on my house a couple months ago and the projected wait time was 3 to 4 weeks.

Local steel supplier? We had one installed a few years ago and the Amish are the ones that supplied the steel.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Ground wires are your friend...

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

Local steel supplier? We had one installed a few years ago and the Amish are the ones that supplied the steel.

Yes.
Local supplier.
I hate dealing with the Amish.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   
grrr
edit on 31-12-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

Yes.
Local supplier.
I hate dealing with the Amish.

I didn't have to, our installer did. The Amish were faster than the installer by a lot.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   

a reply to: HalWesten

Ground wires are your friend...

Yes, as a musician I learned this very early in life. When there is a missing ground it's easy to get zapped by your instrument.

I've been doing wiring as a hobbyist since I was a teenager, always following current (no pun intended) codes. We lost a large repair shop due to faulty wiring (not our fault) so I am very careful with it.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I have enough wiring and outlets and switches in stock to wire a whole house. I used to do a lot of it with my cousin, I built the house and he got the permit because he was a master electrician, and I worked on the job under him for that part of the jobs. I almost got my journeyman electrician certificate, had plenty of hours and I had the head electrical inspector that knew my work and he was going to run me through a couple of classes they gave to get the last twenty hours or so I needed. But, the money went the wrong way and none of those hours worked after they changed the laws. I paid my Cousin what he wanted, he did not pay me. So, even though I had many years of experience, none of it counted.

I actually liked wiring and I had way more work than I needed, so I figured who cares, another license hanging on the wall did not impress me anyway. It got to be that the inspectors could recognize my wiring when they went to the job, then they asked friends if they had any help and they said a friend helped them. The inspectors asked if it was me, and they said yes, and the inspectors just said that they know I never cut corners and passed the job. They could tell how I ran my wires...a perfectionist I was. I always exceeded the code. My father was an electrician back in the fifties too for many years too. That is who got my cousin interested in wiring.

Now, I just keep a stock of electrical stuff so if I want to go do something, I have everything to do it, same with plumbing supplies and stuff for running cable and phone wires. I don't know any inspectors anymore, they are all retired now. My cousin died a while back, so all evidence of my experience is gone.

edit on 31-12-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I was at my local Lowes home improvement store yesterday to buy NM-B cable and a box extension. There seemed to be a fairly well stocked selection of electrical boxes... steel and plastic for new and old construction.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I am near Columbia, South Carolina. I have two active building permits as I have two large remodels ongoing. I am consider the Master Contractor. I am doing all the work with exception to plumbing , tile and countertops. I had to hire a structural engineer so as to stamp my blue prints as I am also an engineer and designer. Yes. I do it right

I cannot tell you how many times I have been outright screwed by Lowe's in 2020 on construction. Substitutions. They have a web page to order an item and when you get it home something is off. The part isn't the part I ordered as the manufacturer is totally different. They since pulled the web page and they NEVER defined the OEM on their order. So I have NO cause or claim. The 2nd stunt is that they say they no longer sell it so I cant return it. OK so I have to eat $35 of metal brackets. They pulled this stunt on two other orders.

I since wised up.

Back in mid December I need a in- between studs wall box hanger to hang two lights above each bathroom vanity. They had none but they had a ceiling fan bracket so I used it. Its fine.

HOWEVER, their entire bins of plastic electrical boxes were empty. I mean empty. Metal too. The plastic ones are a friggen plastic injected and UL rated box. So whats the issue in manufacture? A plastic injection machine is huge and people are not near each other in the factory. They use pellets. Another "man" exempt operation meaning its generally automated and people are spread well apart. No, its NOT a COVID-19 issue.

In my career I have ISO-9001 audited over 500 manufacturing plants in the USA and world as a Lead Auditor. From Steel Plants to Plastic Injection Parts and huge automotive assemly plants. They are basically all the same.

Don't get me started on drywall. They are selling scrap. They are also selling the ceiling board as for walls. Yes Miss Anne there is a difference, in paper thickness.

A Holes

edit on 31-12-2020 by Waterglass because: typo

edit on 31-12-2020 by Waterglass because: typo

edit on 31-12-2020 by Waterglass because: added

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join