It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A way to help you understand the Trump thing.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
Or better yet, if you REALLY want to understand the 'Trump Thing' watch a documentary on the Church of Scientology or Charles Manson.

Do they show those at the Cult of the Leftist’s Hurt Feelz school?

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

Please demonstrate my claims that you consider false if you want to pretend to have an objective response.

It's all opinion, so no sources needed.

You like Trump. I don't. Others like Trump. Others don't.

You and many others can't seem to accept that basic fact.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: jtma508
Or better yet, if you REALLY want to understand the 'Trump Thing' watch a documentary on the Church of Scientology or Charles Manson.

Do they show those at the Cult of the Leftist’s Hurt Feelz school?

You post as you're crying and whining (again) about "da left."

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: network dude

a reply to: network dude

I don't understand it because I disagree with your post.

It's not the mouth, it's the words that come out.

You posed your thread as an appeal to folks you think just dont' get it.

We get it. You can't imagine that anyone rationally disagrees with your own beliefs.

Obtuse is the best thing I can think of when I read this. Purposely not getting it. But it's your MO, why change.

Yep, no argument so you immediately go to insults.

Ad hom is a clear indicator you don't have an argument.

/shrug

not that you care, but I added to that post.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Peter O'Toole made a great " Lawrence Of Arabia "

It's what actors do.

Exactly. And my point is, if Trump was seen as a phony actor playing a part, said all the right things on camera, and didn't say all the wrong things on twitter, and wasn't orange, his actions would be viewed as great, rather than how downplayed they are. (IMHO)

I thought the whole idea was for Trump to " change the script " or in his words " drain the swamp "

Actors keep to the script.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I wonder if you could be honest for a moment. Do you think that Washington DC could be thought of as a swamp? That the elected leaders act slimy and seem much more for themselves, than the do for us? Or is that unfair and they are all great, and Trump is wrong for calling them what he did?

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Do you think that Washington DC could be thought of as a swamp? That the elected leaders act slimy and seem much more for themselves

Few politicians the world over are doing it for their people. Most are in it for self interest. Be it ego or self riches.

Sad but true.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Do you think that Washington DC could be thought of as a swamp? That the elected leaders act slimy and seem much more for themselves

Few politicians the world over are doing it for their people. Most are in it for self interest. Be it ego or self riches.

Sad but true.

agreed. Just makes the 'swamp' thing a bit more truthful.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Please demonstrate my claims that you consider false if you want to pretend to have an objective response.

I guess nobody has the guts to say this, so it has to be me.

I think I can speak for everybody when I say I'm getting tired of all your lies about Morgan Freeman.

I checked Wikipedia and he didn't do ANY of those things.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   

You like Trump. I don't. Others like Trump. Others don't.

You and many others can't seem to accept that basic fact.

He got us out of NAFTA and the Paris Climate Accords

China would still be able to build hundreds of coal plants under the Paris Climate Accords, but we had to eliminate them? Great for China, sucks for the USA.

Obstructed justice by interfering in the Mueller Investigation.

I'm pretty sure the Russian horse has been beaten to death. Hopefully Biden's China connections will be investigated as diligently.

Claimed that he had completely rebuilt the military in his first year, claimed that the troops didn't even have bullets when he took office.

I don't know any specifics on this, but posters like Zaphod and others who WOULD know specifics have indicated the military infrastructure has been decaying for a while. Trump trying to reverse that is a good thing. I would also venture to say that Trump genuinely cares more about our men and women in uniform than his predecessor, who could barely manage to salute the Marine One officer.

Massively increased the separations of families from their children at the US southern border.

You're right. The parents AND kids should have both been sent back from where they ILLEGALLY came from.

Split the US away from traditional allies like the UK, the European Union and NATO.

If a relationship is one-sided and not equitable, why stay in it? It doesn't matter if it's an ally or trading bloc. Forcing NATO to pay their share is a good thing, no?

Praised our enemies like Putin, Kim etc. Suggested we have a joint "cybersecurity" force with Russia while they were hacking our systems under his nose.

Look over here...Russia, Russia, Russia, while ignoring China. Anyone who thinks the US doesn't attempt to hack every other country is naïve. Which country was it again that used submarines to tap into ocean phone lines and listen to conversations? The USA. It's like the old Spy vs Spy cartoons, but in real life.

Cost the American economy by indulging in an unnecessary trade war with China.

So we should just bend over and stand for imbalanced trade agreements? I applaud the attempt to bring manufacturing jobs back on-shore. Maybe a boycott of products not made in the USA would help the economy, but people can't do without their cheap I-phones and other cheap goods.

Endorsed the "One China" policy.

The policy that came about in 1979? If it's so bad, why hasn't any President since then taken steps to reverse it?

To summarize, I find nothing wrong with any policy that puts American citizens and interests first. Unfortunately, millions of people do, and that's a shame. I can accept the fact that many people don't like Trump, but most of those people would never admit it if Trump did anything good. If Biden / Harris end up doing a good job, and the economy and US citizens end up better off, then Cinzano.
edit on 31-12-2020 by peter_kandra because: typos

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Sad but true.

agreed. Just makes the 'swamp' thing a bit more truthful.

Agreed also.

Sad part is nothing will ever change. Those who come in with good intentions soon become part of " the system "

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Jao Bai-Din is going to make Jimmy Carter look like Ronald Reagan!

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The anti-Trumpers can pound and slash all they want now.

But they'll be gone and silent soon enough when the Harris/Biden deconstruction wrecking balls start swinging 😃

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I voted for Obama in 2008. I voted for Trump in 2016.

Obama is smooth, debonair, and Presidential. Even though I disagreed with him on most policies. To be blunt, he was an empty suit imho. Very much like an academic who is well versed on a lot of theory, but never actually did anything in the real world.

On the other hand, Trump is boorish, braggadocious, uncouth, and tacky. However, I agreed with him on most policy issues. He is a doer. Unlike Obama, he got sh*t done and could careless about the theory. I didn't vote for him because I wanted someone smooth, debonair, and Presidential. I wanted a bull in a China shop. Trump met my expectations.

It really is quite simple. Those who harp on Trumps lack of "gravitas" don't understand why people voted for him because their focus is on the sizzle and not the steak.

The best way I can describe Trump to trump voters is Rodney Dangerfield's character, Thorton Mellon in the classic Going Back to School. This scene encapsulates it perfectly. Thorton is a rich successful business man who dropped out of college. He has a tit for tat with an academic on starting a business.

Notice at the end how all the students are hanging on ever word Thorton says and taking notes. LOL

edit on 31-12-2020 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I don't understand it because I disagree with your post.

It's not the mouth, it's the words that come out.

You posed your thread as an appeal to folks you think just dont' get it.

We get it. You can't imagine that anyone rationally disagrees with your own beliefs.

Obtuse is the best thing I can think of when I read this. Purposely not getting it. But it's your MO, why change.

ETA: I know you are smart enough to understand this and you are just playing your part, but I'll go ahead and play along.
The OP is referencing the appearance rather than the substance part of Trump. As with your previous post, you are more concerned with how things look than how they are. Things Trump said, not things Trump did. I think we all know he's abrasive and says dumb things. With this OP, I was trying to make people like you think about how you would view the Trump presidency if he was a different person, with a different demeanor, and no stupid gaffes.

In my opinion, the gaffes and the stupid things he says are a good thing.

It shows me that his words are genuine. That's who he truly is. He doesn't pre-plan and carefully choose every word that comes out of his mouth. He speaks straight off the cuff. He doesn't simply tell us everything we want to hear, regardless of it's truth.

It also shows me that he is a human being just like the rest of us. If I had cameras following me around 24/7, you could expect some gaffes and to hear some dumb s##t every once in awhile.

My point is that he is not a groomed lifelong politician. He's brash and abrasive. He doesn't hide behind a nice shiny facade of political corrective-ness. That's what I want in a leader.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I don’t entirely disagree with the OP, but I’ll say the one thing that made me look at him as just another swamp rat was him hiring and firing from the same swamp he promised to drain. If he made good on that one promise, he would have had my voice and vote behind him. Once it was clear to me that he wasn’t truly invested in draining anything but air out of his head, I stopped giving a sh*t.

Unfortunately, in his position, his words carry a lot of weight, more than the majority of humans in the world, if not all. So while one could make a concession of “Well, he just speaks off the cuff and he’s rough around the edges.”, that doesn’t really give him a free pass to say whatever the hell he wants, ya know? And I don’t mean he has to be stately or PC, I more mean he really needed to find a way to speak to America as a whole. His speeches or addresses always came off as strictly speaking to his base while blowing off the rest of America on a good day and disparaging the left on a bad day. I think it’s fine to disparage the DNC or political opponents (with facts and not hyperbole), but I rarely got the feeling that he was only speaking of the DNC because he would just encapsulate the left or progressives to the point it came off as speaking against anyone who leaned left.

Slightly off topic, I can understand the appeal for someone rough around the edges, but I don’t think it should be a highlighted feature. Bush was barely competent and said a lot of dumb sh*t that would be dumb for the common citizen to say, never mind the POTUS (“Fool me once...”) and Trump followed it up with all his “best brain”, “no one knows more than me about literally f*cking everything” shtick, windmills causing cancer, etc. which is just as dim, IMO. While some of his base may believe that he actually is the most knowledgeable human on the planet, the rest of the world knows that’s not the case. It’s like the dude who claims to have all these sexual encounters with every hot chick he meets, you know he’s full of sh*t so you just nod and wait until he’s done blowing hot air. I know for me, he only devalued himself by making those claims because it’s simply not realistic and wasn’t remotely believable.

The GOP could really use a candidate who can speak on the fly without sounding like a braggart or a moron. The last two republican presidents doubled down on both those unfavorable characteristics. Doesn’t mean they have to be PC and full of sh*t, it means they have to have the ability to condense their information in a package that at least comes off as being well thought out and legitimately considered, rather than letting sh*t fall from the mouth and hoping it lands on target.

Tl;dr, sure, you can take away his words and focus only on the actions, but he made a lot of really f*cking dumb mistakes that worked against one of his biggest selling points in regards to the swamp. At the same time, it’s unrealistic to not allow his words to be used against him, simply because of the position he holds/held.
edit on 31-12-2020 by Drucifer because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2020 by Drucifer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I don’t think he would had been regarded as the “greatest President ever” but he would had been regarded as the greatest Republican President since Lincoln and would had definitely got him re-elected.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Drucifer
I don’t entirely disagree with the OP, but I’ll say the one thing that made me look at him as just another swamp rat was him hiring and firing from the same swamp he promised to drain. If he made good on that one promise, he would have had my voice and vote behind him. Once it was clear to me that he wasn’t truly invested in draining anything but air out of his head, I stopped giving a sh*t.

Unfortunately, in his position, his words carry a lot of weight, more than the majority of humans in the world, if not all. So while one could make a concession of “Well, he just speaks off the cuff and he’s rough around the edges.”, that doesn’t really give him a free pass to say whatever the hell he wants, ya know? And I don’t mean he has to be stately or PC, I more mean he really needed to find a way to speak to America as a whole. His speeches or addresses always came off as strictly speaking to his base while blowing off the rest of America on a good day and disparaging the left on a bad day. I think it’s fine to disparage the DNC or political opponents (with facts and not hyperbole), but I rarely got the feeling that he was only speaking of the DNC because he would just encapsulate the left or progressives to the point it came off as speaking against anyone who leaned left.

Slightly off topic, I can understand the appeal for someone rough around the edges, but I don’t think it should be a highlighted feature. Bush was barely competent and said a lot of dumb sh*t that would be dumb for the common citizen to say, never mind the POTUS (“Fool me once...”) and Trump followed it up with all his “best brain”, “no one knows more than me about literally f*cking everything” shtick, windmills causing cancer, etc. which is just as dim, IMO. While some of his base may believe that he actually is the most knowledgeable human on the planet, the rest of the world knows that’s not the case. It’s like the dude who claims to have all these sexual encounters with every hot chick he meets, you know he’s full of sh*t so you just nod and wait until he’s done blowing hot air. I know for me, he only devalued himself by making those claims because it’s simply not realistic and wasn’t remotely believable.

Tl;dr, sure, you can take away his words and focus only on the actions, but he made a lot of really f*cking dumb mistakes that worked against one of his biggest selling points in regards to the swamp. At the same time, it’s unrealistic to not allow his words to be used against him, simply because of the position he holds/held.

I can get on board with everything you just said.

I think that it's safe to say that, at times we could have used a little less "Trump" and a little more "President".

But, I did see him slowly becoming more "Presidential" over time. He was basically learning that part of the job on the fly.

No, he definitely wasn't perfect. But all I know is that Trump is 10x the leader that Joe Biden will ever be.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

He said he was going to drain the swamp. How else would he do that without help from the masses? In tweeting, he became the most open president in the history of this nation and he exposed the depth of the swamp.

He is using the democratic strategy of creating controversy as a tool. Without that, he had no chance of exposing the swamp to the American people.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Honestly, I think Trump's biggest weakness was the Republican establishment. The larger Republican party is not used to being on offense, but instead always plays defense and lets the left / media set the tone.

They didn't have his back. He had to drag them kicking and screaming. It is ironic because every time he did drag them along, the party made progress winning.

He should have brought Kaylee McEnany on earlier or someone more adept at dealing with the press in an aggressive tone and soundbites. I also think Trump should have used other methods of communicating more directly (and professionally) with the american people other than Twitter. He should have done more weekly fireside chat/townhall type of events to discuss things with American people instead of having the media spin.

I don't think Trump really understood the depths of corruption and swamp even within his own party....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join