It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

190,000 Ceiling Fans recalled after blades fly off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Upon seeing this headline, the first thing that came to mind was, '2020 strikes again', but it's been going on for some time, and it's disturbing to see how commonplace this scenario has become.
Sometimes the manufacturer takes a simple product and 'overengineers' it to ridiculous levels, like the $300 smart toaster Sometimes the product is just a p.o.s.
Sometimes there's no quality control, and thousands of otherwise decent products go out the door, with an unnoticed glitch that may need a slight correction, thereby rendering said product dependable and 'working'.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

The usual term is "Chinese-E-um"

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I want back pay for all of the light fixtures that fell off the 1970's ceiling fans and either shattered all over the floor where your beer drinking dad had to help your cigarette smoking mom get it up before your nothing but diaper self ran through it. Or it actually hit your dad in the head and made him knock his Dale Carnegie plaque off the wall.

Traumatic times man. Somebody has to pay.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   
They usually put some temporary locktite on the screws that hold the fan blades on. Maybe they forgot it, maybe the holes were not machined correctly. It seems that they could send everyone proper screws and a check for maybe ten bucks so they can pay someone to put the new proper screws in instead of recalling all of them. I know if I had one, I would just fix the problem, it is a lot of work to change a ceiling fan, but to secure the screws with loctite is not much work. I have put loctite on the screws on our fans when I took the blades down for washing. It is not that hard when you do one at a time on the blade.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   

300 dollars? That’s rice cooker prices and for toast? They must think people are outta their mind....

Oh wait, that’s right, we are.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Oh, 2020, you will be missed.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iconic

Oh, 2020, you will be missed.

Ya really think 2021 will be that much better?

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I just put a new fan in my home office this past summer. It has mounts that the blades snap into like the recall says but mine are all tight.

Thanks for the info!

top topics

join