It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wife wants a new car......ugh

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Yup...
She's looking at a Subaru outback.
$40k
0% for 63 months
$645 a month

Ugh

I don't wanna....

Maybe I can talk her into a Ford escape...
A bargain at $30k

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
A Ford Escape..?
Subaru is a much better vehicle...

Although the Ford looks pretty aesthetic, they went for the Porsche Cayenne look.
Anything else your considering?

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Literally the worst investment you can make!

Pick up an older Honda or toyota for a couple grand, save a fortune.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Why are you paying $40k for a new Subaru? :
www.autotrader.com...

The "Premium" trim line is the sweet spot for an Outback. They hold their value well, are easy & cheap to maintain and are a good deal if you shop around. Also... try to put some cash down if you can to get your monthly payment down.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: a325nt
I agree on getting a used car with a *big* IF. Used cars usually have an interest rate that drives them up in price over the life of the loan to get them close to or more than the price of a new car @ 0% interest. Used cars are great if you get a good price, and pay cash avoiding the huge interest rate.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Outbacks are great cars and very reliable but If you plan to take long road trips in it then be prepared for discomfort. They are notorious for having very uncomfortable front seats. Maybe the 2021 models have changed but if you buy one go ahead and pick up some memory gel foam seats for long drives.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
A bargain at $30k

My daughter just replaced her vehicle with a new Escape. She got it for less than $25K ... and ... the dealership paid a Lot for her junker. FWIW, she really likes the Escape. Has driven 10 hours out to see us and 6 hours to visit her in-laws. No complaints.

Good luck!!

edit on 30122020 by Snarl because: BB Code problem

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Now is not the time.
"There's a bad moon on the rise"
CCR
edit on 12/30/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

How come? Is the world ending? If it is, then he won't have to pay off the rest of the loan.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeanU
a reply to: Gothmog

How come? Is the world ending? If it is, then he won't have to pay off the rest of the loan.

The world doesn't have to end....
There are only 12 valid ways the Earth can be destroyed.

This from one that owns 2 x 2019s and one 2020.
If I could just get a do over

edit on 12/30/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Yup...
She's looking at a Subaru outback.
$40k
0% for 63 months
$645 a month

Ugh

I don't wanna....

A bargain at $30k

Did you look into any just off-lease? I like Audi's and my wife likes BMW's. There's no way we could afford them new. One off a 2 or 3 year lease is literally about half the original sticker price, and may have 20,000 miles tops and will still be under factory warranty. That original owner paid for the vehicle's depreciation. With a little negotiation, you'll be able to get the dealer to CPO it and/or throw in an extended warranty.
edit on 30-12-2020 by peter_kandra because: typo

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SeanU

Never worked with a dealer before.
My current everyday truck is a 99 Tacoma I bought eight years ago for $4500 cash.
Haven't put much into it since- ball joints, oil every 5k... A couple tires every other year.

I went looking recently, same truck is going for 8k private sale these days.

New they're up to 40k, but only worth half that a year later. Dealers are a huge waste of money.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   
As long as you plan on dumping it just before warranty is out. 2/3 s of the vehicles in my shop now are Subes. Head gaskets and electronic problems galore and nothing is cheap to fix. Best of luck convincing the better half on a better vehicle. reply to: Bluntone22

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Is it new or used? Last few time I’ve bought I decided on the brand/model and then went to look for the best bargain. Usually used vehicle from recent years have not changed much and you can score a great price. Good luck!!

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I just traded an Outback for a Forester and I am happier with the Forester. It could because the Outback was the premium model and the Forester is the touring. The only thing I liked better about the Outback is that the gas tank was larger.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Go for the Subaru.
Great cars, it sucks working on them, but they are great cars, if you are in Canada, (and I know you are) a 4 wheel drive is the way to go.
They suck to work on but they are good cars...nobody wants to be stuck in winter.
Out of all the cars, the Subaru kicked ass and we never got stuck in 2 feet of snow.

We had to change the seal bearing, had to remove all kinds of stuff to get to it, but it is still a good car, they are just a bitch to work on.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: abigredneck

I'm on my 2nd Subaru. First one I sold after 10 years, and got 25% of my money back. Second one is a 2013, and I'll sell that when it is 10 years old also, and probably get another one. Never a major problem with either one. I've hear horror stories about Fords though. Actually, on the internet I've hear horror stories about every brand of car. I do my own research.
edit on 30-12-2020 by SeanU because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Purchasing a new car is pretty dumb, actually. You loose something like 20% of what you pay for it the minute you drive it off the lot. Can't talk her into a good used vehicle?

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SeanU

I one she sent me was $36k.
Add taxes and delivery charges and it's $40k.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

I buy cars new and used. I buy new cars because I keep them for 10 years, and have a warranty for the first 6 or seven of that. I know how the car has been maintained, and I don't need to worry about it. I buy used cars because people lease them new, and eat the depreciation. I'll keep those for a few years then sell them off and get another one every couple of years. You can't really tell people what is right for them... what is right for you is not right for everyone else.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join