It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Applause for my son

page: 1

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   
In another thread, a member was asking about sighting, bore vs laser etc...and that got me to thinking back about a month ago.....

My son [ 22 almost 23 ] and I went out to shoot and took the Remington .270. She packs a wallop. When it was his turn, he looked through the sight and said 'Dad, it's not that clear '.
I said " Well try it without your glasses ' so he took them off and I could tell he was getting way too close, but about the time I said " ease back ' he pulled the trigger.
Yeah, he got "scoped"

He did not just drop the rifle and grab his eye, he remembered what I taught him...he dropped the mag, opened the bolt and then proceeded to cuss like a sailor.

Golf clap for me, standing ovation for him.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Don't you always feel good when they display the presence of mind and discipline to remember what they need to do even in the face of lots of pain and a certain amount of embarrassment?

It gives you some hope that if they were ever in a true emergency, they'd keep hold of their mind instead of losing it.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Had a similar experience a long, long, time ago.

No scope, just a young eight year old girl with a double barrel shot gun, not following instructions as her Dad had warned her about a hundred plus times.

Yes eight years old. I said it was a long, long time ago. Country born and raised. Eight back then is equivalent to eighteen years today.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

LOL.
My Dad used to take me duck/goose hunting with his buddies and just to make me feel part of the team, he bought me a .410.
Yeah, I'm 7 and thought I was a big boy. One guy was a hoot. We had a small pot belly stove in the blind and he brought a small cast iron skillet and what seemed like 10 lbs of bologna, a loaf of bread and loved fried bologna sandwiches. Well, being from the hills of Eastern Kentucky, so did I, so me and him got along great.
He was hunting with an old 10 gauge double barrel and I talked him and my Dad into letting me try it.

I think my shoulder [ and butt 'cause that's where I landed ] are still sore.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   

GREAT JOB, DAD! That is awesome. ❀️

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

β€œEight years old back then is equivalent to 18 years old today.” πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

But it’s true. 😒

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Only one way to really learn.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   

At least he had the bad pointy end facing away from him.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   

You done trained him well, my son! Seriously though, good job!

That's great discipline for the first time getting a scope-eye. Only time I ever got one was one time I had a fractured jaw so I was holding the rifle differently and BOOM!...OUCH!!

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

My 20 year old daughter, who has no real interest in guns, can fire my Glock 19 very accurately, strip it and put it back together.

I don't insist you are a gun nut, but for you're own safety, I do insist you know what you're doing.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Applause, indeed.

I scoped the crap out of myself once. This was AFTER supposedly knowing what I was doing.

Luckily, I was wearing eye pro. The scope's eye relief was not designed for the .308 platform I was firing from. Without thinking, I adjusted my sight picture until I had a full image on the glass.

Boom!

It was like getting punched in the face by a very angry sasquatch. I didn't even cuss. I just put down the rifle and walked around until I could see straight again. Looking back on it, funny as hell. At the time? I thought I had a concussion.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Applause, indeed.

I scoped the crap out of myself once. This was AFTER supposedly knowing what I was doing.

Luckily, I was wearing eye pro. The scope's eye relief was not designed for the .308 platform I was firing from. Without thinking, I adjusted my sight picture until I had a full image on the glass.

Boom!

It was like getting punched in the face by a very angry sasquatch. I didn't even cuss. I just put down the rifle and walked around until I could see straight again. Looking back on it, funny as hell. At the time? I thought I had a concussion.

more importantly, did anyone see it happen? if so, you were obligated to man up and not burst into tears, as most of us would do.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I cried internally.

Or was I bleeding internally?

Not sure now.
edit on 12 30 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

top topics

join