It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you believe and how convinced are you?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 02:30 AM
link   
What do you believe UFOs are?
Do you feel your opinion is knowledge, almost knowledge, total guesswork?
What is your reason for your take and your confidence level?

I would be fascinated to hear anyone who would like to answer the above questions.

I ask because I hear people debate about UFOs all the time, and I debate within myself. Sometimes I am a skeptic, sometimes I am a believer. But when it comes down to it, I really have absolutely no clue what UFOs are/represent. I am puzzled when people seem to have such strong opinions. How can you know? How can you be so sure?

I feel that the only way I could be sure about them myself is to see one, to experience contact, if there is indeed something there to be contacted.

If I had to sum up my own theory at this moment in time, it would be that UFOs are a kind of higher intelligence which appears to us in different forms based on our cultural and individual backgrounds. This is kind of based on Jacques Vallee/John Keel's work with the IDH, and the linking of UFOs to fairies and folklore of the past.

I think whatever UFOs are, they have been with us from the beginning.

My own addition to this theory is perhaps complete science fiction, but it's what I believe for the moment, and I hope you will find it interesting.

We know our brains interpret the world in the same way that we interpret Rorschach blots. In other words, we overlay abstract concepts such as people and places and things onto reality to help us understand and survive in the world. For example, when you see an animal fly over your head by flapping its wings, your first thought is likely "bird". You place what your saw into your mental box called "birds" which itself is within the larger box called "animals" which is in the box called "living things". This allows us to understand the world and to communicate about it with others.

All of reality is like this! A continuous whole which we slice up and categorize arbitrarily for the purpose of understanding...

What do you see?

So, where does this leave us with regards to UFOs? Well, I think of the UFO phenomenon as something that is beyond our current ability to comprehend. That means, even if someone sat us down and explained to us the truth, completely and exactly, we still wouldn't understand. It would be like a toddler being told about calculus or economics. Beyond our ability to comprehend. But with UFOs, instead of just being shown some symbols
or told some words which are beyond comprehension, we are seeing, directly experiencing something beyond our comprehension. What would our brain do in such a situation? What happens when we perceive some part of reality that is totally unexpected, totally new, which threatens to tear down the entire framework we've constructed of reality? Something we cannot put into any box?

I think it would either be meaningless to us, and we would simply not even notice it, or, if we did notice it, it would have to fit very poorly and incompletely into the closest possible matching box.

I suggest that rather than dismantling the entire framework, the brain searches through all of its boxes, and finding none with which to contain the experience, goes with the closest possible match: whatever is culturally regarded as 'impossible' , 'otherworldly', 'unbelievable'. That box, in our culture, is aliens/UFOs, or perhaps cryptids and ghosts. In previous cultures it was fairies, or spirits, or mermaids, etc....

So what are UFOs? Some intelligence, some consciousness far more advanced than our own, which is beyond our current comprehension. That is very vague, but its all that I really feel like I can say. I agree with Vallee when he says we have no hope of determining what UFOs actually are, but perhaps the key is to study what they are doing. My confidence level on this is maybe a 5/10. It's partially a gut feeling, partially a logical conclusion, partially a complete guess, and partially just the theory I like the best at the moment.

What is your grand, overarching view of the UFO phenomenon, if you had to take a snapshot of it at this moment?
Be as wild or as tame as you want. I'd be fascinated to hear what you really think!

edit on 29-12-2020 by thesearchfortruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Not convinced at all. There are no aliens coming here. If there were we'd have solid proof by now but, we don't.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I read a book called “Alien Intrusion”, (think there is a movie) coupled with my pre recorded confirmation bias it all seemed to fit in neatly
Aliens are already here and come from another dimension, pretending to be physical friendly presences, when in fact they are spiritual and malevolent

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Prove it. That's nonsense.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: RMFX1
Not convinced at all. There are no aliens coming here. If there were we'd have solid proof by now but, we don't.
What is your solid proof?

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: CopeLongCut

The onus is not on me to prove a negative. Its on you to prove that your claim is real. There is zero proof that there's anything out there and that's the reality. There may well be but we certainly haven't observed it.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 02:49 AM
link   

The onus is not on me to prove a negative. Its on you to prove that your claim is real. There is zero proof that there's anything out there and that's the reality. There may well be but we certainly haven't observed it.
That is a the easy way out.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 02:50 AM
link   

No, that's how it works.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 02:51 AM
link   

No, that's how it works.
Ok, if you say so. Try and prove yourself wrong. I dare you.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 02:53 AM
link   
100% believer of the phenomenon due to personal experiences.

But not sure exactly what we are dealing with. It seems far far more complex than the simple explanation of small scientists coming here in a flying saucer.

My best guess is that planet Earth is heading for some type of contact. But they have to prepare us before it can happen. Basically its probably about reducing our egos (like Buddhist enlightenment).
This might take some time.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CopeLongCut

No, that's how it works.

I'm right. There's zero logic in your suggestion. That's not how it works.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CopeLongCut

No, that's how it works.

I'm right. There's zero logic in your suggestion. That's not how it works.
What is "zero logic".

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 03:03 AM
link   

I've explained it clearly. If you are unable to follow, I can't help you.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Ok. If you say so. a reply to: RMFX1

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Prove it. That's nonsense.

Read the book, it’s not hard for most people to read a post, consider the post, accept, dismiss the post or if they are interested...
Read the book referenced in the post if they want the evidence provided

Pretty simple really

Always makes me a bit sad to have to explain common sense
edit on 29-12-2020 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 03:09 AM
link   
‘IF’ any evidence of the phenomenon (film, photos, CIA documents, pilot’s footage, radar evidence, witness testimony etc) is to be believed or proven true, I believe that any guesses as to who or what UFO’s are will likely be way off the mark.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 03:09 AM
link   

I'm not going to read the book. Show me video, or photos. Show me anything that indicates any sign of life outside of this blue and green ball.

You can't

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 03:11 AM
link   

I'm not going to read the book. Show me video, or photos. Show me anything that indicates any sign of life outside of this blue and green ball.

You can't

Seriously, I think you have some pretty serious comprehension skills there rmf
Thanks anyway

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

You can't

Seriously, I think you have some pretty serious comprehension skills there rmf
Thanks anyway

Says the totally sane person who wrote this.

"Aliens are already here and come from another dimension, pretending to be physical friendly presences, when in fact they are spiritual and malevolent"
edit on 29-12-2020 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Totally believe in UFOs
Natural phenomena and pareidolia .
And , most likely , classified projects .
edit on 12/29/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join