It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some opinions on gaming build

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Hey everyone I hope you all had a Merry Christmas!!

I am currently gathering parts for a mid level gaming pc and I find myself in a conundrum. I was going to go with a AMD ryzen 5 for the cpu wasn’t settled on a gpu yet and I saw prices for gpu’s skyrocket. After doing some research I found the ryzen 3 3200g which has built in graphics and I’ve seen tests where it’s hitting 4.0 which is about the same as the ryzen 5. Granted the 3 has 4 cores vs. the 8 cores in the five and the 5 doesn’t have built in graphics.

So my question is should I go with the ryzen 3 3200g? Then when prices settle get my gpu.

Here’s the build list as of now.
Case: NZXT H510
Board: MSI B450 AM4 tomahawk max
Ram: TGROUP T-force delta RGB DDR4 16G
Ssd: WD blue NAND 500GB
Power supply: EVGA 100-BR-0500-K1 500 BR, 80+ Bronze 500W
Fans: upHere Wireless RGB LED 120mm Case Fan

Just curious to see what people think I should do.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I'd go with the Ryzen 5 and get yourself a secondhand gpu until you can afford a better one. Gpu prices will come down eventually...you could probably get something like an RX 580 for a good price ...I recently bought one for $50 Aus and it's a great card.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Onboard graphics are pretty weak compared to a seperate card and its not just theraw speed but cache etc that will make games fly more.

If you can get a ryzen 2700 or better and as mentioned something like a 570/580 as a good starting point but at the moment there seems a drought of decent graphics cards as everyone is waiting for the newer cards to actually be in stock so theres not a lot moving downstream and what is seems to be commanding top price.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat
Didn’t think of going second hand. May have to check into that. Thanks for that!

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria
Okay cool I’ll have to do a bit more research. I’m trying to keep the price around 700 or so which is why I was looking at the cheaper CPU’s. As far as prices yeah there are nuts right now.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 03:43 AM
link   
AMD Ryzen 2600x
G.Skill 2933 either 8 or better 16gb (set XMP profile to 1 in UEFI)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO (Nearly a 2080 in a 2060 card) if you can find one.

Descent build for the money.

For gaming : stay away from the APUs. They have a ways to go .
Go for a better B450 board , or possibly the X570

Oh , yeah , plenty of case fans
edit on 12/27/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

It's a terrible time for builders and has been for a while so all I'd say is go for your planned build and as said above look for a second hand stopgap GPU like a GTX 1060 , it's a solid card that'll give you decent performance until stocks of newer cards return.

I'm running an Asus B450 board and would recommend spending and extra few $ on an NVME drive rather than a SATA SSD because of the read / write speeds , I'm using a Kingston 1tb A2000 and it's rapid , £89.99 on Amazon right now.

Good luck.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

NVME makes a huge difference!

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 04:59 AM
link   
If you're going to replace the CPU down the line get one of those carbon pads and remove the crappy thermal paste off the heatsink as if you're not careful you can literally pull AMD chips out of the socket if the thermal paste has decided to set rock hard and you just lift up and not twist while the cpu is still warm enough to make the paste a bit wet.

If you fancy getting the lastest NV/AMD GPU's then a 550/570 board would be better for the pci-e 4.0 support when you can get hold of a 3/5000 series chip.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: gortex

NVME makes a huge difference!

Only for large chunk file transfers.
Under certain readwrite scenarios a good SATA 3 7200rpm mechanical drive will actually outperform the PCIe 3x4s
Owner of 4 x 2Tb PCIe 4x4 M.2s .
Now , 2 of them in a RAID 0 is when they really shine.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
Hey everyone I hope you all had a Merry Christmas!!

I am currently gathering parts for a mid level gaming pc and I find myself in a conundrum. I was going to go with a AMD ryzen 5 for the cpu wasn’t settled on a gpu yet and I saw prices for gpu’s skyrocket. After doing some research I found the ryzen 3 3200g which has built in graphics and I’ve seen tests where it’s hitting 4.0 which is about the same as the ryzen 5. Granted the 3 has 4 cores vs. the 8 cores in the five and the 5 doesn’t have built in graphics.

So my question is should I go with the ryzen 3 3200g? Then when prices settle get my gpu.

Here’s the build list as of now.
Case: NZXT H510
Board: MSI B450 AM4 tomahawk max
Ram: TGROUP T-force delta RGB DDR4 16G
Ssd: WD blue NAND 500GB
Power supply: EVGA 100-BR-0500-K1 500 BR, 80+ Bronze 500W
Fans: upHere Wireless RGB LED 120mm Case Fan

Just curious to see what people think I should do.

Looks good but I would have chose a 1TB SSD.
More ram, 16gb is not future proof. And a bigger PSU, 500W is kind of small.
Ryzen 3 will do fine.
And I would go for a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080.. not that expensive, and rated at rank4, with RTX3090 at top
edit on 27-12-2020 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
a reply to: Flatcoat
Didn’t think of going second hand. May have to check into that. Thanks for that!

I got a pair of 290s I got used they where bitcoin mining cards so abused hard

Redo the thermal paste and they have been going strong for 10 years for 100$ a card it was a steal

posted on Dec, 28 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Nobody can afford a cheap PSU. If you can't afford a quality PSU, wait and save your money until you can. You will never regret buying the best PSU you can manage no matter what kind of computer you're building. Even if it is overkill (quality and pricewise) for your system.
edit on 28-12-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2020 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Nobody can afford a cheap PSU. If you can't afford a quality PSU, wait and save your money until you can.

Absolutely agree , people tend to scrimp on their PSU but it's probably the most important component of any build although EVGA are a good brand , I'm using an EVGA 750 Gold because I know it will last for years and has all the safety features built in to protect my system.
On the subject of PSUs I would suggest the OP goes for a bit more power if they intend to get a meaty Graphics card as more than you need is better than just enough when it comes to stability.
edit on 28-12-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Ryzen 3 3200g is a decent processor, you can definitely go with it.

new topics

top topics

join