It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A story on Christmas - And a Christmas wish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Three years ago on Dec 23rd I got a call from my sister at about 4pm. Mom had taken ill and wasn't in the hospital, but rather she went directly to hospice! Imagine that phone call! I work in aviation, so flying is second nature for me; I was on the next next flight which was headed for Michigan. I arrived at my hotel shortly after midnight. Sadly, Mom passed away the next day on Christmas Eve 2017.

Mom had previously had some very minor health issues, but was an otherwise a healthy 93 year old. So this whole ordeal was shocking almost beyond imagination. I had been there when Dad passed away, and I was there when Mom passed away. My sister (the one who called me) had gotten there earlier on the 23rd and had actually spoken to Mom, but by the time I got there she had lapsed into a catatonic state (essentially a coma). Mom had told my sister that she wasn't going to die until all of her kids were there. This left my other sister, with whom I have a very strained relationship, who was on the way. My other sister did manage to arrive before Mom's passing so her final wish was fulfilled. I trust she knew we were there.

It is a very sad and unfortunate story, but that is not the point of this post. The point of this post is what happened afterwards.

We were all staying at the same hotel, and by the time we got back to the hotel it was late (like 9pm). None of us had eaten pretty much all day. Everything was closed, not even pizza places were open. My return flight left out at 7am the next morning, Christmas Day. And I had to go. The three of us spoke for a long while, and then they went back to their rooms well after midnight. As I sat alone in my hotel room I was so overwhelmed with thoughts and emotions of what had just transpired in such a short span of time that I really didn't even know what to do, or what to feel. The grief was almost too much to bear.

On the first hand, my last remaining parent had just passed away. On the other hand it was Christmas. The dichotomy of that moment was almost surreal. No, it wasn't 'almost' surreal, it WAS surreal. I felt like I had to do something, but what? Then I came up with the only plan I could think of.

I went down to the front desk and cashed in about $100 for $1 dollar bills and all the quarters they had. Then, I asked the clerk if I could buy two of their Christmas decorations which were these baskets with decorations. They said I could have them. Following this I went to the top floor of the hotel and I raided every candy and snack machine from the top to the bottom floor. It was meager pickings, but it was enough. I put the candy and snacks in the baskets and set one basket outside each of my sisters doors, each complete with a heartfelt note I had written about our loss, about Christmas and about the moment, expressing my love for them and wishing them well. It wasn't much, but it was the best I could think of in such a tragic situation. At least it was something.

I didn't knock on their doors when I set the baskets outside each of their doors, I didn't feel much like talking. What could I say? Besides, it was early, and I was late. It was time to leave for the airport to return home.

Please understand, this story is not intended to be depressing or sad. Neither is it intended to be happy and sweet. But it is a story about Christmas.

From the bottom of my heart...Merry Christmas, ATS! All of you!

P.S. - Don't forget to give those you love a hug.

edit on 12/25/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 04:24 AM
link   

edit on 25-12-2020 by NarcolepticBuddha because: rikku

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Damn. I would love to sit on your front porch on a warm Summer day, have a cold beer and just listen to you talk about your life.

Merry Christmas FCD.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 04:29 AM
link   

edit on 25-12-2020 by NarcolepticBuddha because: rikku

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I know my mother also died at 93 yrs though not at Christmas, but I too felt

your pain. May both our mothers R.I.P. I miss her all the time but for some

reason Christmas time is the most.

A bitter sweet Happiness to you and your family and all the best for 2021

Best Regards
Eletheia

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Damn. I would love to sit on your front porch on a warm Summer day, have a cold beer and just listen to you talk about your life.

Merry Christmas FCD.

Too true!

FCD, you should write a memoirs book. Stories like this of tragedy and altruism resonate with many people. Go make a bestseller!

Happy Holidays.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   

You have obviously figured out the meaning of life.
So many people today would have taking that situation and turned it into a whoa is me kinda thing.
You took a bad situation and gave your sisters a good memory that probably means more to them than you know.

That my friend, is the true meaning of life

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
You are so talented. Hope you bring more in 2021. I always look for your posts. You have a rare sweetness in your stories of rugged times. Hope you are able to heal quickly this coming year.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

The true story of Christmas...Love. You brought light and love in a tragic time for you and your family. You are truly a wonderful man. Merry Christmas!

top topics

join