It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatcha' all eatin' for Christmas???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

yeah, i didn't even think about spirits. I doubt the local stores are open...may have to duck in and see if i can find a bottle of absolute or TX Whiskey.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It is dry Semmel or bread cut up in fingernail sized crumbs and then mixed with eggs and hot milk, a bit parsley and really small breadcrumbs, called semmelbrösel. Fried onion dices can be added too. It's even better when a Pretzel or two finds it's way into it.

Then you make a round ball, boil salt water up and put them in there and let them sit in the hot, non boiling water for a few minutes. You can also make bread sized, but then you might have to roll it into a clean cotton sheet and put it into the water like that.

As with many Swabian side dishes, this one is soaking up sauce really good, too. Rule no. 1 to eat these, NEVER cut them, you rip them apart. I can not stress this enough, if you cut, they don't soak as good.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain
like a spaetzle ball?

Spätzle are soaking kind of noodles, you need a good whipping hand or a device to produce them.

100g flour + a bit semolina per egg. Salt. A bit sparkling water or tap water.
Then you beat the glue out of it, literally. You beat the dough until the gluten reacts and builds long strands. Then you "just" whip small dough strands from a wooden board with a knife into boiling water and take them out a few seconds later. It takes some practice.

You can try use a potato press or a vegetable slicer but it's a mess. I recommend watching a video before.

edit on 25.12.2020 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

What is Texas whiskey? I have heard of Kentucky
whiskey,never Texas.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Now she is impressive!

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Just some chicken and potatoes, and a cake from heaven.

A group of us went out last night and bought multiple small dinners in bags and gave them to people who were literally on the streets. There was one family living in their car. They got a little extra something for their kids

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Trick to brisket is low and slow.
Mine is 350 for an hour, to brown with sugar and seasonings, then add liquid, cover and reduce to 275 or so for 4-5 hours.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant

S muss emmer nass sei noa flutschd dees.

It has to be wet all the time then it slides.

The dough on the board.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt
We used to dish out soup for free on christmas eve, pay what you want, if you want but generally it was for free. The money was then used to buy more ingredients or sometimes if it was a lot, things like mittens, scarf, things that fit to most and give them to those that needed them. I admit that the last two years I didn't do anything on Christmas, I just helped someone with her groceries and shoveling snow from her driveway. I should do more.

In Germany in theory nobody has to be homeless or sleep on the street, it's nearly always that they have a mental problem. It wasn't for monetary helping those but the talks and that there is somebody listening to them, seeing them for the humans they are.

I spent a few days on the street and I got a little taste how that life is. I was barely adult age and it was solely my own fault. Someone helped me out of that situation. What I want to say is, lending an ear and reaching out to others does more than filling a check that is tax refundable anyways.

Cheers to you and your friends.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   

It’s true, just being human towards another human makes a difference. I know it’s easy to pretend this doesn’t exist, and I find myself sometimes walking by people in this situation , I will shift my gaze in another direction.
I feel bad about that, but there are so many more folks in this situation it’s hard to engage everyone all the time.

So what they had for dinner, since this is the topic, is a bit of an assortment.
It depended on where we were in town. So some folks had a whopper meal with some extra coffee. And some packaged non perishables to go with.

Some had Pad Thai from local place. With the non perishables.
That smelled really good!

A bit of Mexican also from local restaurants.

A gift card for the family in the car. The dad was a professional violinist, with no gigs in months.
He played his violin for us. Really nice!
There is a different crowd out there right now.

The chicken and potatoes we are having today is all cooked together. Olive oil , lemon juice, salt, pepper, cumin.
And most of the garlic available in town (lol love garlic)
Bake it all together, baste it multiple times. Yum city!

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
Probably pizza. Mother-in-law has been gone five years, FIL likes to make Prime Rib but it's a hundred bucks now for enough to feed most of us. I don't even feel like getting together this year now.

Well we actually ended up having the normal turkey/ham and sides that we used to at my father-in-law's place. It was actually nice until the family started getting loud like they always do. That gives me the opportunity to come home and let the dogs out and feed them, then relax in quiet. I can only take just so much of the noise.

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 01:40 AM
link   

We made it simple. I went to Food Express (yes, that's actually the name) and got Salt & Pepper Shrimp, Mongolian Beef and Orange Chicken. I never checked the bag and they forgot my Pot Stickers. The shrimp was really awesome.

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Hey, if it makes ya' happy and enjoy the day with loved ones and/or family, then that's all that counts!

Sucks about the pot-stickers though, cuz I love, love, love those things!!

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Does my GF count...?

Otherwise, nothing special.

edit on 26-12-2020 by Ironclad3000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Did a roast chicken with bacon fat and sage under the skin, with stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy with green beans, washed it all down with a nice Italian Persecco and 2 kinds of pie with ice cream and whipped cream for dessert.

Merry Christmas to you all

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Crosse and Blackwell filling mincemeat pie. Now that's a Holiday treat. It's even vegetarian.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   

I'm such a dumbass that I didn't even notice the missing pot stickers until the next day. Were going to do the same place for new years so I'll be sure to mention it to them. They may have a weird name but they do really good Chinese food for pretty cheap and they are close. We stopped doing the traditional dinner years ago mainly due to work schedules so doing something like this is fine for all of us. I do the Thanksgiving dinner and that's enough for one year.

Doing Chinese for the holidays does have a slight ring of the Bumpus's dogs careening through the kitchen tearing up the turkey so maybe this time I'll order some Peking duck. Fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

LOL!!

%Deck the harrs with barrs of horry...fa rah rah rah rah rah...rah rah, rah rahg
Tis the season to be jorry...fa rah rah rah rah rah...rah rah, rah rah

I do love me some Chinese food though! We were debating between Chinese and Japanese for Christmas Eve. Went with Japanese, but Chinese would have been every bit as good.

I totally agree with never judging a book by it's cover when it comes to Chinese. Some of the very best places have the funkiest names and are in some of the worst locations. I used to go to this one place which was the seediest looking place imaginable in this really bad part of town, but the food from this joint was absolutely DYNAMITE! They had this crazy name, I think it was 'Moon Fuk Pi' (or something like that). Not a one of them spoke a word of English. Their chicken curry fried rice and egg foo yung would make your socks shoot right off your feet!! Just shoot right off and vanish into the stratosphere!

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

What is Texas whiskey? I have heard of Kentucky
whiskey,never Texas.

TX Whiskey is a brand.

Im a pretty proud Texan, and buy Texas first as often as i can. So for Vodka its Titos or Dripping Springs. For Beer, its a local brewery call Barrow. For whisky, its TX brand.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I totally agree with never judging a book by it's cover when it comes to Chinese. Some of the very best places have the funkiest names and are in some of the worst locations.

Big Wong in NYC's Chinatown. Some of the best dim sum there is...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join