It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Octopuses Like to Punch Fish, New Research Suggests

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Octopuses are strange animals. They've been found to have all sorts of strange, intelligent behaviours. Some recently published research shows yet another strange behaviour.

Octopus seem to enjoy punching fish.

Several separate events were recorded of octopus performing "a swift, explosive motion with one arm directed at a specific fish partner".

Octopuses in that area hunt alongside some some species of fishes. Several of the punching events happened during hunting sessions, while two of them happened while no hunting was occuring.

The theory is that fish punching is how the octopusses keep the fish in line and generally, that they're kind of just dicks.

gizmodo.com...

Strangely satisfying new research documents octopuses punching fish during collaborative feeding sessions. The octopuses primarily do it for practical reasons, but sometimes these underwater jabs seem to be purely spiteful.

Octopuses like to punch fish. As the authors speculate in their paper, published in Ecology, these punches are thrown to “prevent exploitation and ensure collaboration.” In some cases, however, the octopus-on-fish violence couldn’t be connected to anything in particular. In other words, the octopuses were being total dicks. That, or there’s something about this punching behavior that’s still not understood.

The octopuses performed “a swift, explosive motion with one arm directed at a specific fish partner, which we refer to as punching,” the authors write. Victims included tailspot squirrelfish, black tip, yellow-saddle, and Red Sea goatfishes.

The punches could be thrown by the octopus to maintain control over fish behavior, to banish certain fish from the group, to deter them from prey, or for purely selfish reasons—that is, to gain immediate access to a meal...punching may be a form of aggression with delayed benefits...where the octopus pays a small cost to impose a heavier one on the misbehaving partner, in an effort to promote collaborative behavior in the following interactions.

These multiple observations involving different octopuses in different locations suggest that punching serves a concrete purpose in interspecies interactions,” according to the paper.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
One of the best threads ever.

I've always considered Octupuses to be the one fish with a massive chip on their shoulder. They even look like angry fish.

I can imagine 8 hit combos come naturally to them too! Make a great Tekken Character.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
They are trying to stun them. Free lunch.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Yeah, if I was stuck at the bottom of the ocean with no books, tv or radio, I’d be punching Nemo too out of sheer boredom.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Ha...this is awesome. I need a t-shirt made.

What a odd behavior. Definitely will have to follow this thread.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Maybe the octopuses are trying to condition the fish, getting them used to them extending their arm out so that after the fish starts to feel a little comfortable it will make it a lot easier for the octopuses to catch their prey.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Is that a new euphemism?

Like punching the clown?

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

but sometimes these underwater jabs seem to be purely spiteful.

Spiteful cephalopods?
Malicious mollusks?
Catty cuttlefish?

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Octopuses Like to Punch Fish

Well who doesn't!!

The theory is that fish punching is how the octopusses keep the fish in line and generally, that they're kind of just dicks.

Too funny

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Pretty sure a fish wrote this article.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Sucker punch?

Sorry.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Uppercut
Uppercut
Uppercut
Uppercut
Uppercut
Uppercut
Uppercut
Uppercut

Finish him!!!!

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 24-12-2020 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I wonder if this happens when the Octopuses get drunk...?

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   

is it any wonder, bloody annoying fish, thinking of you big pussy

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

Sucker punch?

Sorry.

We have a winner folks!

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Pics or it didn’t happen.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

I know, I know.....terrible humour.

But I have no remoras.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Yall have me kraken up

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   
drunk octopus wants to fight!

edit on 24-12-2020 by Fowlerstoad because: .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join