It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden Free Community College & University

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ratcals
I don’t think some of you understand what “free” means. That money has to come from somewhere and it will most likely be higher taxes for those of us that either paid for our college or never went. We’ve placed too much value on the need for a college education. I’m making over six figures and I have zero college.

“Free” college is
like being healthy and paying more for healthy food now and saving on expensive medical later,
or you can
Be unhealthy and pay more for medical care later.

Let’s pay now, and reap the rewards of an educated society...
Somehow we always want to kick the can down the road...

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
a reply to: JAGStorm

It won’t be “free.” It will be my hard-earned tax dollars, and yours, if you work, which pays for the “free” community college.

I hate government over spending.

Free community College for people will piss me off less than most waste the government has.

I know it will be a slippery slope, and it will lead to heinous spending in that area... But I'm cool with free community College.
edit on 24-12-2020 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I know it will be a slippery slope, and it will lead to heinous spending in that area... But I'm cool with free community College.

I mean come onnnnn

Let the kids have a couple years of hopes and dreams before they realize they can't get hired anywhere because jobs have been outsourced and there's burger flippin' robots now

Welcome my son, welcome to the machineeeee

It's all free anyways lul

edit on 23-12-2020 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 12:07 AM
link   

The problem isn't kids not being able to afford college, it's the ones that went for degrees that have no real world application not being able to pay off their loans. If we subsidize all education it only increases our debt and taxes, it legitimately achieves a net negative value. Now if you had to be accepted on academic achievement and were going for a degree with value, I could get behind it. They however will never do that because it'll be called racist, sexist, and discriminatory so it's all or nothing, I vote for nothing, let the morons who went to school for a useless degree default on their loans and feel some consequence for their choices.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Problem is, it won't be free and it most certainly won't be higher education. Unless our education system is reverted back to what it was in the 60's through the 80's, our children are screwed. We used to be #2 in the world just under China, now we struggle to rank above third world countries. That's pathetic.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 12:20 AM
link   

If you don't put your kids through at least 9th grade, social services pays you a visit. In other words, it's mandatory that you send your kids to school at least through 9th grade.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: ratcals
I don’t think some of you understand what “free” means. That money has to come from somewhere and it will most likely be higher taxes for those of us that either paid for our college or never went. We’ve placed too much value on the need for a college education. I’m making over six figures and I have zero college.

“Free” college is
like being healthy and paying more for healthy food now and saving on expensive medical later,
or you can
Be unhealthy and pay more for medical care later.

Let’s pay now, and reap the rewards of an educated society...
Somehow we always want to kick the can down the road...

I am very pro LIVING children. I support free breakfast, lunch, & snacks for every child.

The malnourished brain does not develop properly. They really are the future.

I’m pro free school for every child up to (and including) 2nd year of college. After that, only those who pass entrance exams.

I’d say all others would need to be in a sponsored apprenticeship or trade field. Which, of course, would require businesses to participate.

However, entrance exams can be taken at any time. Not everyone matures at the same rate. Not everyone is ready to pass an exam at 18/19 years old.

Then they have to apprentice in their field for several years for practical application.

Just because you’re good on paper — does not mean you’re qualified in real life.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I am very pro LIVING children. I support free breakfast, lunch, & snacks for every child.

You mean the ones that LIVE through the abortion lottery your political ideology espouses?

How grand of you to think that way.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

You mean the ones that LIVE through the abortion lottery your political ideology espouses?

How grand of you to think that way.

I’ve had a spontaneous miscarriage, 2 living children, and an elective abortion.

I can discuss the realities of ALL. Can you?

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.facebook.com...

In the 21st century, twelve years of school isn’t enough. That’s why under the Biden-Harris plan, community college will be free — and public colleges and universities will be tuition-free for families earning less than $125,000 a year.

Wow wow wow.
I spent a large part of my youth in Europe. At the time many countries over there had "free" higher education.
I never understood why we couldn't do it here.
Why stop at 12th grade? Education should always be encouraged.

Maybe being free isn't the answer but what we are doing now isn't working either!

The education system in the US is all kinds of screwed up and anyone that has children can attest to that. The higher education system is ripe with admissions fraud and the like perpetuating the rich get richer and providing little to none upward mobility to those that come from impoverished backgrounds whether they fall on the left or right.

The current systems needs to be reconstructed from the bottom to the top. Not all kids need or see the value is learning trig when all they want to do is code or learn how to farm or be a nurse. IMO high school education should come in the form of a hybrid current HS/college system so when the kids come out are ready to enter the workforce and those who want to pursue higher education can do so on their on dime.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The public education system is a tragic failure.

It would be better to reform K-12 to produce autonomous individuals rather than to extend it into early adulthood.

I highly reccomend this video by Academy of Ideas touching on the history and practice of our educational system.

Great content creator in general for those who practice philosophy. His videos should be apart of any conspiracy theorists repertoire.

youtu.be...
edit on 24-12-2020 by Psilocyborg because: Elvis face @:^o)

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Our k-12 edu program is the most expensive in the world our colleges are the same. Government programs are what drives up that cost.

I would love to see a decent price tag on education but if government says its gonna be free you will get what you pay for as a student while government waste more money propping up a system that doesn't work.

Year over year the cost of education goes up 8 percent and the return on investment goes down. If government would get the hell out of the way those prices would drop rapidly and roi would skyrocket.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

It won’t be “free.” It will be my hard-earned tax dollars, and yours, if you work, which pays for the “free” community college.

But the higher incomes that they will make will means that they will pay more taxes. Which will in turn support more colleges. Its win win. Think of it as being an investment on your part in the future of the country.

Plus those college grads will pay for you when you retire through their taxes.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 05:59 AM
link   
What needs to happen is a complete restructuring of our education system. Do away with all the extraneous crap and focus on the basics for 10 years...

Reading and writing
Arithmetic
Government and constitution
History

The last two years can be "community college", where they are taught about social structure, jobs, business, and how our financial system works. We need to actually prepare them to live in the real world and be an asset instead of a liability to their fellow country men and women.

ETA: I honestly think 12 years is too long. I think we can shave two years off that once we've done away with the other classes that offer no real value. 10 years of basic education is more than sufficient. After that, trade school.
edit on 12/24/2020 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I don’t think the Biden/Harris admin took freshman level economics the way they keep throwing around the “free” word.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 06:43 AM
link   

You had me with your ideas on nurturing and providing necessities for all children, but lost me on the free school part.

Here is the reality: some people simply DO NOT learn well and absorb information optimally in a classroom setting. I think it'd be a monumental waste of taxpayer money to provide free college, most especially to dish out the free school for 2 years /before/ mandating the entrance exam. We already have an entrance exam system (SAT) and though not perfect by any means, it is sufficient to filter out people that are not going to succeed at earning a diploma by attending classes. If you can't score well enough on the SATs, that's a pretty good indicator you are not going to meet with success working towards a degree.

Does that mean you'll NEVER be able to complete higher education?? Heck no. Lots of people go out into the job market, gain experience, MATURE as adults, then return to school later and make it through.

For many people, and mostly with trade careers, the best experience is learning on the job. An apprenticeship, as you describe it. We could try to formalize that more, but is that really any different than what's out there now? All the men in my family going back generations have been carpenters/roofers/contractors. I was the first generation to go to college. All my predecessors learned 'on the job', and their mentors and 'educators' were others like them that worked themselves up from the bottom, watched, learned, did their time as helpers/gophers, and eventually gained the knowledge base to start working on their own. This system has been in place for time immemorial, caters to folks that don't have the patience or attention span to sit through classes, and generally, it works great.

IMO we have bigger fish to fry than ensuring everybody gets a seat at a college. Our population is going inexorably UP, and the supply of jobs, even now not just limited to manufacturing jobs, is going inexorably DOWN. We have to figure out how we can actually provide job opportunities for a big enough chunk of the population, or it won't matter who does or doesn't get a diploma.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   

K-12 isn't enough because k-12 sucks because the government runs it.

Consider how many kids "graduate" it without being able to read, write, do basic math.

Now let's add in free college so we can teach them to do those things.

And the colleges, now that government is writing their blank checks are under no obligation, ever to lower their costs. So how much of a tuition check are we wanting to write on the taxpayer dime to teach reading, writing, and basic math? Because that's what this proposal is for.

Meanwhile, college degrees, which were already useless, are worth even less, and no one will be able to get a job worth anything with one just like it's tough to get a useful job with just a K-12.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 07:22 AM
link   

In the town were I lived, we had free community college.

The beauty of a university degree is that almost every one asks, "What university did you "graduate " from?"

So all those years of free learning in community college pays off in the end.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Education is already free.

1) Go serve and earn the GI Bill.
2) Work for a company that provides education.
3) Work for a college/university that provides education.
4) Run a successful business and you won’t “need an education for a better job.”

Granted that number 4 is the hardest, but you can acquire the “knowledge” on your own as many colleges have their courses online for free. The “education” part is buying the degree for display and bragging rights.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Personally, I don't think 18 year old's are not mature enough to go to college. Pretty much across the board. Yes, there may be some exceptions, but there are ways to handle those kids.

I also think college is tragically overpriced for what they turn out as a finished product. I have to hire people so I've seen first hand some of the candidates who can't even write a complete sentence, or spell simple words phonetically. It's not laughable, it's sad. (the stories I could tell).

I don't have a major issue with free, or deeply discounted college, but I don't think anyone should be eligible for it until at least two years after graduation from HS. During this two year period potential college candidates should have to prove their merit to attend college. Sit on the couch in Mom's basement for two years playing COD ver. 197 and you're screwed. Go get a job, or join the military, or the Peace Corps, or go on a church mission, attend a trade school, or become an apprentice (or any number of other things) and you're golden, free tuition for you.

There's a problem which needs to be fixed first though, and this is the same thing we see in politics..."identity". The cost of higher education is directly proportional to the "name" of the school you're going to, not the "quality" of the education you get while there. This is wrong. People are paying for the name. There's a perfect modern example of this which has been all through the news and this is the case of Olivia Jade Loughlin (whose parents paid off people to get her into some exclusive college, UCLA I think, on a rowing scholarship (she never rowed in her life)). Here's the issue...

There are a lot of kids like this. I've met a number of them. There are other far smarter graduates, but these kids think they are entitled to a job because of the school they went to. And, the facts is, this actually works a lot of times. So we wind up with incompetent business people and managers just because of the name of the school they went to, without regard to their abilities. Trust me, a Harvard grad is going to have a lot easier time landing a high paying job than a Podunk State grad, even though the Podunk State grad might be a better candidate.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join