It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus Relief Bill Makes Illegal Streaming a Felony

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
a reply to: DanDanDat

How is ten years in prison a fitting punishment for distributing movies and tv shows? That seems pretty excessive for a non-violent crime that doesn't actually cause anyone to lose any actual property, just projected future earnings.

Intilectual property rights is the life blood of innovation and development.

Let's not pretend that large-scale criminal streaming is an insignificant offense.

Here is a link to other white color crimes and their sentencing guidelines ... 10 years max doesn't seem excessive for this crime.

link

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Our caring, loving, custodian politicians.
Looking out for us the people, and not the corporate-oligarchy.
Bless them all.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I guess no more Friday night movie night streams with ethots.

There goes my socializing.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Let's not pretend that large-scale criminal streaming is an insignificant offense

Oh my, yes how will the poor Hollywood executives ever cope with a few less million dollars...Boo hoo...I feel sad for the poor movie companies and record companies that have fleeced over the people making them their millions for years.

Personally I feel the bigger crime against humanity is the way the american copyright system has stifled creativity and innovation for years now, while the people mostly benefitting from these extreme extensions on copyright terms...cough...disney....cough cough Warner brothers...universal....all have plenty of movies, music and media wholesale ripped off from things not covered by copyright, or from people too small to fight against them.
edit on 21/12/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I take it the Democrats consulted Tipper Gore on this.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   
What it says and what it does is two different things. I have not seen the whole regulation to determine what the parameters of the new legislation is. But it could possibly mean we could only put a link to a video here, unless we had written permission from the person who owns the rights. There are lots of copyrighted videos, it does not say just movies. A video of a Squirrel attacking a dog would possibly be protected. A video from an event people post could be copywriterd

I bet there is a three page description of the law change.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Let's not pretend that large-scale criminal streaming is an insignificant offense

Oh my, yes how will the poor Hollywood executives ever cope with a few less million dollars...Boo hoo...I feel sad for the poor movie companies and record companies that have fleeced over the people making them their millions for years.

Personally I feel the bigger crime against humanity is the way the american copyright system has stifled creativity and innovation for years now, while the people mostly benefitting from these extreme extensions on copyright terms...cough...disney....cough cough Warner brothers...universal....all have plenty of movies, music and media wholesale ripped off from things not covered by copyright, or from people too small to fight against them.

You can justify stealing if you want.

And stealing from thieves kinda makes one just as bad as them.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 01:31 AM
link   

The way I understand how theft works,

is if you steal something that denies the owner the use of, i.e. a bicycle. Theft in itself doesn't cover making a copy as you aren't actually denying the owner the said 'item'. Hence why they enacted the law of copyright theft, to cover this 'loophole'.

Not sure if this has bearing on the argument, but i feel theft and copyright theft should be distinguished from each other.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Remember Napster? We thought we'd all be goin to jail then as well.

Don't worry about it.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mark42

The way I understand how theft works,

is if you steal something that denies the owner the use of, i.e. a bicycle. Theft in itself doesn't cover making a copy as you aren't actually denying the owner the said 'item'. Hence why they enacted the law of copyright theft, to cover this 'loophole'.

Not sure if this has bearing on the argument, but i feel theft and copyright theft should be distinguished from each other.

large-scale criminal streaming services that generate private financial gain denies the owner the use of revenue that their IP would have generated for them.

We aren't talking about making a mixed tap off the radio here. These large-scale criminal streaming services aren't making a copy of someone else's content. They are distributing that content on a large scale with out compensating the owner.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
What it says and what it does is two different things. I have not seen the whole regulation to determine what the parameters of the new legislation is. But it could possibly mean we could only put a link to a video here, unless we had written permission from the person who owns the rights. There are lots of copyrighted videos, it does not say just movies. A video of a Squirrel attacking a dog would possibly be protected. A video from an event people post could be copywriterd

I bet there is a three page description of the law change.

The description of the law in the OP:

the Protecting Lawful Streaming Act, which would “punish large-scale criminal streaming services that willfully and for commercial advantage or private financial gain offer to the public illicit services dedicated to illegally streaming copyrighted material.

I think linked to squeal videos on a message board wouldn't fit that criteria.
edit on 22-12-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Wait, is this the government's response to streaming services with movies like Cuties?

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Can someone who has more thoroughly examined this clarify something. Is this going to target DJ’s that livestream playing records? Thus making that “illegal”?

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Lol now we all be dread pirates matey.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Coronavirus Relief Bill Makes Illegal Streaming a Felony

Unless they shut down Tor, it's just pissin in the wind.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cigarettes

From COVID-19 to Illegal Streaming. What a stretch.

The whole 15,000 page bill is a scam!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Thank you. How does anyone else ignore all this?
This isn't a "relief" package for Americans.
This is outright theft and spreading the wealth to countries and programs to further keep the American public indebted to the IMF and global cabal forever. It's another good reason to shut down D.C..

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There's gender programs in Pakistan? I thought they just chopped their heads off. Or dropped them from high buildings.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join