It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Justice - Let's Abolish High-Level Academic Courses

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

They are my neighbors, and each one of them is a unique individual not a drone group. But collectivism would prefer we see the whole in that manner -- interchangeable parts no different from one another than identical sparkplug I stuck in my engine when then old one wore out.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I would counter balance your account with a few of my own anecdotes. I worked in my undergrad studies with a super bright young black woman on a group literature project, and she clearly had a terrific grasp of interpreting stories. At one of my first programming jobs, we hired a terrific young black woman who clearly demonstrated ability in writing and understanding code. I'm still connected with her via LinkedIn, and I have watched her progress up the career chain at a large, well-known bank.

Ultimately, all we have are personal anecdotes, and the statistical facts about academic underachievement in certain population demographics, at least in the US. I would say, there are always exceptions to every trend, and no matter where anybody stands on the notion of nature vs nurture or other theories in sociology, it's vitally important to always deal with people on an individual basis. Individual experience is always a better indicator than graphs and charts when it comes to personal relationships.

There are very few things that irritate me more than large-scale social experiments, racial "trouble shooting" and government/academic intervention in education and career development. It just sets up different population segments to envy and resent one another. We need more focus on meritocratic metrics, and finding ways to evaluate learning/intellectual talents on an objective scale that doesn't help or hinder any particular population group.

If statistics say that certain segments of society are lagging in test scores, then rather than tip the testing scales, shine the light on....

* reading habits
* % of time parents spend in aiding in homework/studies
* safe environment at home for learning
* encouragement and motivation on children to think about their career path
* can't be emphasized enough, reading habits!

If the above bullet-point evaluation criteria start to expose demographic trends, then we need to start understanding what are the conditions and cause-effect relationship in certain social segments or communities that inhibit a fertile learning ground.

Poverty? Yup.
Broken home? Yup.
Criminal involvement within the family? Yup.

As a White male who checked each of the 3 boxes above, I can attest that it IS possible to compensate for those deficiencies and still succeed in getting a job, starting a family and achieving stability. But, that is really against the odds, as it were.

The only pathway to success in the US is for members of social groups or demographics or communities to maximize positive learning behaviors and minimize distractions and obstacles, like poverty, fractured families and criminality. You can tweak and re-calibrate test standards all you want, but that is treating than symptom rather than the underlying sickness.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The idiocy has destroyed the usefulness of any degree. Let the schools close just like failed businesses, if you fail to deliver a worthwhile service out you go.
edit on 20-12-2020 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

For the most part I agree with you. In fact, I recall reading a study about the link between race and getting in trouble in school. This study found that whether or not a child had both parents at home was one of the most significant determinants of behavior and future success. Another interesting thing this study found was that black students who came from two-parent households actually got in trouble in school less than white students who had one parent at home.
I know that black people can be intelligent. Some are absolute geniuses. These individuals should be given every opportunity to access college and careers. But the fact remains, whether we want to acknowledge it or not, that there is and has been a problem everywhere across the country due to a refusal to acknowledge group average intelligence difference. It's the same reason Chinese/Japanese/Koreans consistently perform better on average than whites academically.
This doesn't need to BE a problem. We can acknowledge it and work with it and raise people up. The solution though is not lowering standards more and more in an attempt to make things seem statistically equal - getting people in the door who otherwise wouldn't have and then letting them fail out and ruin their lives with debt helps nobody but the people collecting the money.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Edumakated
One has to wonder why this type of insane thinking is infecting the higher learning.

This isn't a college.

yet....

The problem is the precedent this sets, NVM the SJWs that claim "math is racist" or 2+2=5.....

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   

It's a private business, the only people who get wound up over what private companies do are Karens and if the business wants to adopt these programs or s***can the teachers that's their call.
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

A private business is it? Dealing with the education of the young from K-12. So their business is able to flout the desires of their customers? I guess that is why so many parents want their kids out of it, they had better not go crying for money from the state then for their business decision. It is all especially delicious when you start pricing out their other "ideas". Paying off the student debt of their poc hires for instance, that will be money taken away from doing actual educating and salaries for their employees. Remember as a business they get their money by offering a product people want and can afford, alienating your customers is such a brilliant way to go about it. A quick look shows they have a shrinking customer base since they are in NYC, since you post in most of the threads you should be aware of that fact. Let's face it if those ideas ended in the school closing, they would not blame the lousy policy decisions.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
And as a parent, I would also have to be thinking that if this school were to start getting rid of their advanced curriculum for the reason of not having diverse enough faces in that curriculum, where else might they be sabotaging standards in order to make those kids look better or feel better about their performance in the interests of diversity?

In other words, I'm paying top dollar for a product, and can I now trust that product?
edit on 20-12-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Welcome to equality of outcome taking the place of equality of opportunity. It is the future. Idiocracy comes to mind.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The other thing is that while the school can say they don't support this list of demands, understand that Dalton is about the only private school of its kind not open in NYC, and the teachers (you know, the darlings who made this list of demands) are refusing to return until the demands are met.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: infolurker

It's a private school, they can do whatever they want, don't send your kids there if you have a problem with them.

It’s a private bakery

If they don’t want to serve homosexuals a wedding cake then that’s up to them

Oh wait........

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Next we’ll have some pathetic, gutless, low IQ leftists believing that bLack people should receive lighter sentences for crimes,

Oh wait..........

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Personally, I am thinking that we would do better to create a system of boarding schools for low income students from disadvantaged, broken homes. Remove them temporarily from the chaotic and poorly disciplined environment of home into one where they might be able to learn discipline and have life skills modeled by responsible role models.

Of course then you run into the same issues that were had with boot camp type schools -- possible abuse, etc.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Did they just admit... *gulp* I’m not allowed to say it..
But yeah, they’re basically insinuating that a certain demographic has lower IQ than the rest.
Damn that’s racist, Dalton should be closed down for racist ideals

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox
Averages may have truth, but one of the smartest people I've known was from Guinea Bissau.
He had 2 masters, one in history the other in business.
He left Africa because of the effect of stated averages.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Schoolmasters in colonial India wondered how the best students often came from the upper caste India natives who studied along side of British students.

Surveying the landscape in 18th century India, I would say their motivation level clearly was quite high.

edit on 20-12-2020 by FlyingFox because: tense

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz
yet....

And if it was a private college you'd get the same ambivalence, their business, their call.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: hangedman13
A private business is it? Dealing with the education of the young from K-12. So their business is able to flout the desires of their customers?

I think you might be catching on to this thing that we have called 'free market Capitalism'. That's how it works, you get to run your business and if people aren't liking what you're selling they can go elsewhere.

Novel idea, isn't it?

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
It’s a private bakery

If they don’t want to serve homosexuals a wedding cake then that’s up to them

Oh wait........

You'll find I'm remarkably consistent, I thought that bakery should be able to be idiots as well and posted as much.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Don’t worry, taxpayers will be on the hook for their tuition very soon once Biden and company get situated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join