It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Justice - Let's Abolish High-Level Academic Courses

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Some stuff that some teachers at a private New York City high school said gets blown completely out of proportion and represented as what everyone except the one true Nation of Trump believes.

Yep, it must be a day that ends in "day."

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm a aware that "higher learning" could be interpreted to mean college. However, I was just stating "higher learning" in that most parents who send their kids to Dalton are upper crust NYC elites paying $50k/yr. Speaking generically. I think they consider it "higher learning" to pay that amount and most certainly their kids are Ivy/top tier college bound.

But again, whether higher learning is college or not is totally irrelevant to the discussion of SJW equity policies affecting schooling.

Me: Hey the sky is blue.

Augustus: Well, actually it is more of an azure color.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: infolurker

Progressive agendas in general don't promote or reward individual achievement.

They're all about the collective.

Is the collective important?

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

The collective is an artificial construct in that everyone is equal and has equal abilities and equal talents.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   

The meat of the discussion is triggered Karens are upset about an overpriced private school pandering to its clientele.
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I am suspecting you didn't read the article yourself.

Donating 50 percent of all fundraising dollars to NYC public schools if Dalton is not representative of the city in terms of gender, race, socioeconomic background, and immigration status by 2025.

So maybe people should care as the schools goals seem to be to include more than just the "triggered Karen's" as you put it. Plus this is the faculty demands not something the administration of the school came up with.
edit on 20-12-2020 by hangedman13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

One has to wonder why this type of insane thinking is infecting the higher learning.

This isn't a college.

Dalton is one of the most prestigious private schools in NYC.

Was. Schools become prestigious by producing superior students in academia or social status. If they dumb down their curriculum, they will dumb down their student body, and there will be no reason to pay outrageous tuition fees for an inferior product. The truly superior students will be tainted with the stain and putting attendance there on a resume will be worth less.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I went to a private university in a city that was 1/3rd black. This university marketed itself somewhat towards minorities and students who didn't have English as their primary language (mostly Spanish). Whites were actually statistically under-represented there.
Anyway, towards the end of my journey there, I was nominated by staff and selected to be one of a handful of students to take part in a focus group sort of thing with a faculty member. It turned out that the university was trying to solve a particular problem, but they didn't know how to go about it and were desperately trying to come up with any idea that might work. The problem was that the vast majority of prospective black students were being denied admission because they couldn't pass the entrance testing, which was just very basic reading and writing and maybe some math, and this was making the university look very bad. Remember how 1/3rd of the city was black? Only a small percentage of the students were black. They wanted us to work together to figure out how to make the reading and writing testing even easier, or how to figure out ways around doing it altogether. The group thing didn't last too long. I think I only went to three or four before they gave up.

Now, I had a couple classes with black students, and for all but one of the students, there were major issues. I'll tell you some, and I swear to God these are true:
Student 1: He would often lean back in his chair in class and sleep, sometimes snoring. One time he did this while other students were in front of the class presenting their class projects. At the end when people would clap, he'd wake up, clap for a second, and then go back to sleeping.
Student 2: At the end of each lecture, all of the students would stay to work on their homework before they left in case they had any questions for the professor while he helped us through it. So, basically, the homework was just part two of the class. Immediately after the lectures ended, this student would pack up and shoot out the door. One time the professor asked him if he wanted to stay and work on his homework and this student insisted that he would do it at home. Another day further into the course, the professor took the student to the side and told him that he would need to start turning his homework in, because he hasn't turned any in and is failing the course. The student stopped coming to class shortly after that.
Student 3: This was in an IT related course where we obviously used our computers for the entirety of the classes. At one point in one of the classes, the professor said something about how he was going to take over our screens to show us something. This student raises his hand and goes "Should we turn our computers on?". Apparently he had been just sitting there the whole class not following along or doing anything.
Student 4: This student would constantly interrupt to make jokes and talk to people around him. Now, this was a business and economics course, so one day the professor asked the class what they thought the United States' biggest import is. This student yells out "Weed!". The professor just kindof looks at him stunned for a second and then asks him why he said that. He goes "Because the marker green!". (The professor was writing with a green dry-erase marker).
Student 5: This student was put with me and another student for a group project. Long story short, he did absolutely no work, despite everyone having very clear and easy work to do. On one occasion he literally just copied word for word what I had written on another part, which was completely irrelevant to his part, and gave that to me as his. After a few weeks of this, me and the other guy in the group said something to the professor since he was doing literally nothing. The professor talked to this student, and he agreed that he would do his own project from that point on. Well, when it was time to present the projects in class, me and the other guy presented ours. This student waited until he was last to present his. He gets up in front of the entire class and presents ours, except he only shows the title page (which he changed the background on and somehow spelled wrong) and tells the class that his job was to convince us to buy the product and then says "I don't need to say the rest". Everyone looked around confused, and one girl asked him if he was in our group. He says "yes" and I say "no" at the same time. The professor had to clarify for everyone that this student chose to do his own project. I talked to the professor after class about how he had directly plagiarized our work and the professor informed me that this student claimed it was his work and then refused to do anything about it because he had "bigger fish to fry". I wrote a strongly worded email to one of the faculty. I never saw that student again, so I'm assuming he got kicked out.

I could go on and on, but there's one more thing to point out here... In the degree program I was in, you usually saw the same students each semester. I had multiple classes with some of the same students. Every black student I had a class with I never saw again after that class.
By the way, this was a university for adults. This wasn't a bunch of kids out of high school. Almost half the students were over 40.
edit on 12/20/2020 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Some stuff that some teachers at a private New York City high school said gets blown completely out of proportion and represented as what everyone except the one true Nation of Trump believes.

Yep, it must be a day that ends in "day."

You no what else is blown out of proportion?
Someone who steps on a landmine. Sry. #DrKHMR

And...enlighten us with your detailed programming of what a one true Nation of Trump believes.

Consider my interest peaked at that all encompassing statement.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Answer for the Universities problem would be to open a school for anyone who doesn't know how to read or write very well. It's not a color problem. It effects every race.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Answer for the Universities problem would be to open a school for anyone who doesn't know how to read or write very well. It's not a color problem. It effects every race.

That's bs. A lot of the hispanic and foreign students there could barely speak English and yet they did very well despite barely speaking English.
edit on 12/20/2020 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

We're not? Why am I just hearing about this now. I thought we could become anything our little hearts dreamed of.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

That's bs. A lot of the hispanic and foreign students there could barely speak English and yet they did very well despite barely speaking English.

People learn in different ways. Why only teach in one way?

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
Leftest, have you ever wondered why we resist your insanity? Because it never ends.

Yes, the next step in the Progressive agenda. Abolishing high-level academic courses by 2023 if the performance of black students is not on par with non-blacks. I am sure this will catch on in the Public system with their PC teachers union soon.

Of course this is a great idea for Social Justice.

I am so disgusted by the Progressives and this insane social justice agenda.

Get a clue... Lift everyone up and not bring everyone down maybe?

www.foxnews.com...

Those who disagree remain silent, the insider said. "Parents are terrified to speak up for fear of retribution. Parents are acting like spineless wimps."

One Dalton father, who said he’s removed his children from the school as a result of the manifesto, said Dalton "has totally failed in its mission to uplift the very people it professes to help.

"It’s completely absurd and a total step backwards," the father, who did not want to be identified, told the Post.

"This supposed anti-racist agenda is asking everyone to look at black kids and treat them differently because of the color of their skin," he said. "The school is more focused on virtue-signaling this nonsense than it is in actually helping students of color. More parents are going to be pulling their kids out."

Why didn't you include the rest of the report -- that the school said it was a list of ideas from a "think tank" seminar session where they were trying to come up with solutions for internal problems -- and that this did not actually reflect any school policy?

In the interests of truth you should include that.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   

We're not? Why am I just hearing about this now. I thought we could become anything our little hearts dreamed of.

If your goal is mediocrity, then more (or less) power to you!

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Mediocrity has been accomplished for quite some time already thanks to our schools.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

They had to excuse it somehow didn't they? I'm sure the parents who pay $51K/year in tuition were not pleased with the idea that the rigorous coursework they thought they were paying for might get axed so that the kids not doing as well wouldn't feel bad about it.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   

The collective is an artificial construct in that everyone is equal and has equal abilities and equal talents.

It's a little weird to call society a collective, like it's some kind of alien hive creature. Those people are your neighbors, not a faceless conglomerate.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

We're individuals with unequal levels of abilities, talents, goals, aspirations.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Me: Hey the sky is blue.

Augustus: Well, actually it is more of an azure color.

No, more like:

You: "I didn't read the article and think a K-12 school his higher learning."

Nice job trying to move those goalpost all over the place though, at least you got a workout in.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: hangedman13
I am suspecting you didn't read the article yourself.

I did, it was rather short.

So maybe people should care as the schools goals seem to be to include more than just the "triggered Karen's" as you put it. Plus this is the faculty demands not something the administration of the school came up with.

It's a private business, the only people who get wound up over what private companies do are Karens and if the business wants to adopt these programs or s***can the teachers that's their call.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join