It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How, Functionally, Does Covid Differ From the Common Cold?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOfStuff

Getting pretty close to the end of the year. But yeah, all the numbers are not in yet. Seems like the numbers might be significant though. The shape of the curve is a good match to that for COVID related deaths.

Number of deaths reported on this page are the total number of deaths received and coded as of the date of analysis and do not represent all deaths that occurred in that period. Data are incomplete because of the lag in time between when the death occurred and when the death certificate is completed, submitted to NCHS and processed for reporting purposes. This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction and cause of death.

www.cdc.gov...
edit on 12/19/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Thanks

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I am surprised the hospitals are not overflowing.
Quite the mind game telling people that the common flu is lethal.
that they may die from all these common symptoms.

I'd love to hear your opinion on PCR testing.
Do you think it's a reliable test?

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Am I reading that right? From your link, January 14, 2017 showed more deaths overall than Dec. 5, 2020? Deaths are down and we are supposedly in a pandemic complete with lockdowns?

Please correct me if I read that wrong. I went to the site itself and placed the cursor over the first blue bar and the last one.

edit on 19-12-2020 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I am surprised the hospitals are not overflowing.

In some places they are. In more places they are getting there.

Quite the mind game telling people that the common flu is lethal.
Influenza can be lethal but COVID-19 is not caused by an influenza virus.

I'd love to hear your opinion on PCR testing.
Do you think it's a reliable test?
I don't think any test is perfect but I think PCR testing is reliable in determining if someone has been infected. It can't determine if one is contagious though.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

From your link, January 14, 2017 showed more deaths overall than Dec. 5, 2020?

As I pointed out, all of the recent numbers are not in. But instead of looking at one date, look at the year. See also that deaths usually decline in the summer. Not this year.

That bump in January 2018?:
www.cbsnews.com...

But it didn't last all year.

edit on 12/19/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

That is incorrect. Look up excess deaths. Even with the extra COVID deaths accounted for, the total deaths in most places around the world are still showing excess deaths. This suggests the actual death toll is higher than the official numbers.

If what you said is true, the number of all other causes of deaths would go down, and for the most part they have not. One notable exception is traffic fatalities, but this can be explained logically. With the shut down and lockdowns, less people were driving resulting in less traffic crashes.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   

The death statistics are out there, but they lag a few months and sometime longer. Because of this, we do not have a good report on the latest surge of COVID deaths.

jamanetwork.com...

ourworldindata.org...

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Thanks. What I would like to see is total mortalities year over year without the covid reference. Just straight up numbers.

Most that I have read aren’t completed due to time lags.

This one for example looks like there is no great impact until I dig deeper and found 2020 numbers were from July 2019 to June 2020.

www.statista.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Question: Why did this chart start including this note starting Feb. 1, 2020 when they did not include it prior:

"Data in recent weeks are incomplete. Only 60% of death records are submitted to NCHS within 10 days of the date of death, and completeness varies by jurisdiction."

I'm not being argumentative. I'm just trying to understand this CDC chart's wording and wondering if a cursory look-see distorts its interpretation, and why use the Feb. 1, 2020 date to begin noting it. What is the reason to start posting this additional "note" in Feb. 2020?

edit on 19-12-2020 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   

You can get excess death stats for Canada here. But only through August.
ourworldindata.org...

Again, it seems to match the shape of the curve for COVID related deaths over the period.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: madenusa

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: NorthOfStuff
a reply to: vonclod

Oh man, so sorry to hear that.

Was she said healthy otherwise?

Thanks, she was elderly, but apparently in good shape otherwise. We all going to go at some point..this is just a terrible way to do it.

sorry for your loss this is a scarred Holiday for you. This virus is genocide on the elderly

It was a good friends mother, the sentiment is appreciated!
edit on 19-12-2020 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOfStuff
a reply to: vonclod

I am reserving my judgement on COVID until I can get my hands on some annual death rate numbers.

My father passed a couple of years ago right after Christmas.

He had a cold when I saw him over the holidays and even though a previously mild heart condition took him his doctor and the family didn’t say the cold killed him.

It’s harsh at this point to belittle and deny what’s going on after hearing stories similar to yours

Waiting for those death rate numbers.

Sorry about your dad

In the Vancouver area, we were doing pretty good, then in Oct forward, it all went sideways..like many other parts of the country. We are losing 10-20 a day for the last month. In a typical flu season, we lose 1 a day, or every couple days..this is somewhat anecdotal info, but you get the idea.

We are all waiting on the #s.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I can tell you this from personal experience.

I've never known anyone that has died of a cold.

I do, however, know 5 people that have died from Covid complications.

I also remember just last year that most colds were caused by the Rhinovirus.

And I also lost a $500 bet I made where I said that hand sanitizer would kill a virus. They don't, I lost, I learned.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 09:34 PM
link   
globalcrisis.info...

1 Quarantines and shutdowns save nobody.
2 Possible more deaths from quarantines than corona itself.
3 We are NOT doing what will save us next time.
4 There's an easy way to protect ourselves right under our noses.

I thought this was interesting
almost complete opposed to what we've been told to do.

If you disagree don't blame me in these times im looking at both sides of the fence.
The grass is always greener on the side that the septic tank is on.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
From studying legitimate research I will say that SARS-CoV2 is worse than the common cold for many people, but for fifty percent of the people it is not. Those who take certain medicines or supplements or have some risky conditions it is worse than the flu is though out of the other fifty percent. And of course those taking immune blocking drugs for various things like organ transplants or have had their immune system burnt by chemo drugs, this is very dangerous.

We should take precautions to protect people who are at risk, that is the civil way to do things. But there has to be a balance between making sure not to destroy people's lives by being too overcautious and protecting the high risk people.

Right now more people are having their future destroyed by the overzealous lockdowns than are being permanently hurt by this virus. I think wearing a mask in stores to dampen the spread is appropriate. I think that they should have let things go back to normal in the summer when there were less other seasonal diseases floating around and tightened things up in late October to build some immunity with less in the hospitals. They messed up bad in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   

They don't lock us down for the “common” cold?

That's the only difference.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I been trying to catch SARS-CoV-2 to glass jar all this year, so far not succeeding

It`s like the damn bug knows what i was trying to do, i swear ...it`s extremely intelligent nasty entity ....i think we need Ghostbusters proton pack to catch this SOB.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Question: Why did this chart start including this note starting Feb. 1, 2020 when they did not include it prior:

"Data in recent weeks are incomplete. Only 60% of death records are submitted to NCHS within 10 days of the date of death, and completeness varies by jurisdiction."

I'm not being argumentative. I'm just trying to understand this CDC chart's wording and wondering if a cursory look-see distorts its interpretation, and why use the Feb. 1, 2020 date to begin noting it. What is the reason to start posting this additional "note" in Feb. 2020?

Which chart are you referring to QOS??

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

They don't lock us down for the “common” cold?

That's the only difference.

There are far more differences than that.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join