It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How, Functionally, Does Covid Differ From the Common Cold?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Do you know what an average is?

Extend that 8 hour average to a whole lot of people and it means a whole lot of manhours.

edit on 12/19/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The problem I see with the virus is how we have to hear about it every hour of every day. Since the beginning our reaction to it changes weekly. I’m so tired now of hearing about it I have become numb to it. I think it is deadliest to the elderly and/or anyone with a compromised immune system. The majority of deaths are complications from Covid not actually death caused by only the virus.

The worst parts about this virus are the media hype and the political agenda sitting behind it.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   

We won't know that in Michigan until the middle of January now thanks to Gretch's new extended ban of indoor dining. I honestly think she's trying her hardest to kill small business here, otherwise she would have shut down the crowded big box stores too.

That woman has those crazy eyes that strikes fear into the heart of anyone who attempts to make eye contact.

Little Hitler is all she is and she is much like Cuomo and the rest of the murderous governors, kill as many jobs and people as possible. I would not be surprise to find out she goes for another round of nursing home record deaths.

She is probably truly bother that Cuomo took out more grandmas then she did.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
I walked into Wal-Mart this guy was counting heads at the door I asked him how many are aloud inside, he said
oh a 1000 at least.

After dodging wal- Martians for a hour I got up to checkout & was just letting people entertain me in my mind, when the music stopped & the covid protocol commercial came on....stay 6 feet apart, wash your hands, wear your mask.
I looked over at my wife, I said.... their getting away with this.
she didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

I looked around & saw all the dead eye expressions & the speakers spouting out the covid commercial, reminded me of some movie I watched with Hitler playing over & over & over the loud speakers in the towns.

I'm finely having a small case of PTSD.

On a good note covid 19 has cured the flu.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I didn't realize you wanted to discuss man hours and money management.

Multiply the 1/2 day difference by hundreds or thousands, and as a money manager concerned with productivity, that would definitely be a concern.

But, as a personal consideration to take a flu jab or not, a 1/2 day overall average isn't worth much consideration, imo. I'm not advocating for or against getting flu shots, but their effectiveness can be somewhat moderate. That's why thousands of people are hospitalized yearly with the flu who actually got their precious flu shot.

edit on 19-12-2020 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Do you know what an average is?

Extend that 8 hour average to a whole lot of people and it means a whole lot of manhours.

It may be but I have to ask is being able to return to work the same as being unable to get others sick

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I didn't realize you wanted to discuss man hours and money management.
But that was the point of the statistic. Lost productivity.

I got a flu shot yesterday and will get a COVID shot when it's my turn.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

edit on 19-12-2020 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

It may be but I have to ask is being able to return to work the same as being unable to get others sick

For the most part yes. By the time one has recovered from the flu, viral loading is very low.
Flu

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk
they don't tell you about the 30000 that died because of cancer treatments being postponed.
when we first all went inside it was like thank you for your cooperation....now its a chest stuck out with mandates.
Their considering a "emergency order" lets sugar coat "mandatory"'

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   

For the most part yes. By the time one has recovered from the flu, viral loading is very low.
journals.plos.org.../journal.pone.0051653

404 if ya could fix it ill read it

Just seems a important part of the statistic since the workplace is rather diferent than most and spending 8 hrs in a confined space with a infected person would increase chances even with lower viral load

or say perhaps a food worker who has as much indirect contact with your mouth as your dentist dose direct

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: madenusa
a reply to: ketsuko
I walked into Wal-Mart this guy was counting heads at the door I asked him how many are aloud inside, he said
oh a 1000 at least.

After dodging wal- Martians for a hour I got up to checkout & was just letting people entertain me in my mind, when the music stopped & the covid protocol commercial came on....stay 6 feet apart, wash your hands, wear your mask.
I looked over at my wife, I said.... their getting away with this.
she didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

I looked around & saw all the dead eye expressions & the speakers spouting out the covid commercial, reminded me of some movie I watched with Hitler playing over & over & over the loud speakers in the towns.

I've mentioned that before, walking through Meijer one day hearing that PSA gave me the chills, like something you'd hear in a futuristic movie like Demolition Man.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   

a reply to: dug88

Why haven't we done this every year everytime cold season comes around if it's so horrifying?

Why don't hospitals approach full capacity every year?

Sweden’s capital is considering shelving all non-essential health-care services to free up resources needed to tackle the relentless rise in Covid-19 cases.

www.msn.com... jfiunG3aup99PYkC77M2-TI648Uv8

I wonder how many people are availing themselves of a hospital visit more out of fear than due to symptoms they have.

I'm confident that this segment of hospital users isn't close to the totally; but I can believe they do cause an undue burden on the system.

My wife spent all day yesterday talking with a client who professed to be in and out of hospital the preceeding day because they had Covid; yet they still spent the day working.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Just seems a important part of the statistic since the workplace is rather diferent than most and spending 8 hrs in a confined space with a infected person would increase chances even with lower viral load

Yes. It is always a matter of probabilities. There is no such thing as 100% certainty but risk can be reduced. Risk of infection from those who have recovered is very low.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

It's not hard to find out. A quick search revealed this link.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

I wonder how many people are availing themselves of a hospital visit more out of fear than due to symptoms they have.

It is not people who are "visiting" hospitals that are the problem. It is those who are admitted and occupying beds and using hospital resources (ICU, in particular) because they require inpatient care.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   

a reply to: DanDanDat

It is not people who are "visiting" hospitals that are the problem. It is those who are admitted and occupying beds and using hospital resources (ICU, in particular) because they require inpatient care.

How many people demand they need inpatient care, when they do not?

How many hospitals admit people to inpatient care out of an audience of caution (hospitals don't like to be sued for malpractice)?

How many patients could the hospital shed if a much more deadly form of the virus where to emerge?

edit on 19-12-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Yes. It is always a matter of probabilities. There is no such thing as 100% certainty but risk can be reduced. Risk of infection from those who have recovered is very low.

Thanks for the fix

That still leavs the question do they really gain man hrs with a 8 hr gain but a potential of a 5 day loss per infected

The odds would have to be significantly reduced looks to me in 5 days the viral load is decreased about 2.5x

If it where me I wouldent take that gamble on my bottom line speaking monetary value only

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
COVID is like the LGBT+BBQ of diseases when it comes to restaurants and bars. Less than 5% of known cases come from those establishments according to data and yet it demands we shut them down to accommodate its demands.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

The odds would have to be significantly reduced looks to me in 5 days the viral load is decreased about 2.5x

This is what it says:

Duration of infectiousness as measured by viral culture lasted approximately until illness days 4–6.

But you're right, people shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to return to work after a bout with the flu, and certainly not while they are still feeling ill.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join