It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to save history

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   
That's right folks and I'm saving it for my grandchildren. How you ask? I bought a complete set of 1954 Encyclopedia Britannica for Christmas this year. You would be amazed at the differences between what the Encyclopedia says and what a current search on Google will get you. Books are the best legacy you can leave your children. They deserve a chance to read the truth. Just a suggestion for what to get your family this year for Christmas.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
That's right folks and I'm saving it for my grandchildren. How you ask? I bought a complete set of 1954 Encyclopedia Britannica for Christmas this year. You would be amazed at the differences between what the Encyclopedia says and what a current search on Google will get you. Books are the best legacy you can leave your children. They deserve a chance to read the truth. Just a suggestion for what to get your family this year for Christmas.

Best post ever on ATS IMHO.

I read the Worldbook Encyclopedia Set as a wee Kid...A-Z every page of ever book. Broke me in gently to the contrasts and conflictions amongst Academia.

Your vintage is both rare and superbly aged.

edit on 19-12-2020 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   
What an awesome gift!

I grew up with thrift store sets of encyclopedias, c. 1966. Not usually complete.

One of the great sadnesses of my life is that I wasn't able to keep them.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I'd love to hear some examples of the differences!

I think it would make a great addition to your thread.

S&F

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The other day I was thinking about making a time capsule and wondered what I could place inside that would educated the future about this time other than allowing the victors of conflict to rewrite history.

Encyclopedias would be one good thing to place in it along with a way to translate them, a Rosetta Stone if you will. I’m thinking about making something hermetically sealed in plastic and rubber but the shell is out of concrete. No way in unless you hammer or chisel into it. Make it egg shaped so it won’t go overlooked when discovered. Something that a thousand years from now could upset the status quo teachings of our time.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
The other day I was thinking about making a time capsule and wondered what I could place inside that would educated the future about this time other than allowing the victors of conflict to rewrite history.

Encyclopedias would be one good thing to place in it along with a way to translate them, a Rosetta Stone if you will. I’m thinking about making something hermetically sealed in plastic and rubber but the shell is out of concrete. No way in unless you hammer or chisel into it. Make it egg shaped so it won’t go overlooked when discovered. Something that a thousand years from now could upset the status quo teachings of our time.

I started a thread a week or two about this issue as it is something that has bothered me. How do we preserve the perspective of what really happened today so that people tomorrow really know what went down.

Because everything is so electronic now and internet searches have unfortunately become political, I can see how history can be rewritten, hidden, or misinterpreted.

History & Book Burning in Modern Age

I haven't looked recently, but I I recall seeing entire sets of Encyclopedia Brittanica for sale for about $1000. I had a complete set as a kid and enjoyed just randomly reading each volume. Same with National Geographic Magazine. I had prety much every issue for about 20 years from the late 70s to around 1990. Regret getting rid of them...

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
Quite apart from Google, even the flaws of sloppy television documentaries are bad enough. I'm an old student of History, but I regard the whole genre as a waste of time. Yes, buy books.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

The gold standard is the 1911 edition.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm busy re-reading all the old "Was Ist Was" books my German grandparents bought me in the 1980's (in English the series is called How and Why).

They were affordable and nicely written and illustrated.
en.wikipedia.org...

Nowadays I find children's books very lacking in detail - like a huge picture per page and a tiny caption.
I bet half these books on topics like history are actually coffee table books for adults who like looking at pretty pictures.

I thought one tiny Ladybird book from the post-War era (apparently their small size was due to paper rationing) has more information than some of these huge books today.
edit on 19-12-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This one has all you need to know.
www.subgenius.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

How about the causes of the American Civil War for starters. What was a political power struggle is today conveyed in purely racial terms ala 1619 Project.
Many things in it would be deemed controversial including some events of WW2. Draw your own conclusions from that but I'm not opening that can of worms here.

new topics

top topics

join