It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuomo signs bill banning sale of Confederate flags

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

a reply to: Lucidparadox

So thats your justification for a violation of the Bill of Rights?

You can make a case that the proliferation of symbols and propaganda is not covered by freedom of speech

Brandenburg v. Ohio in 1969, limited the scope of banned speech to that which would be directed to and likely to incite imminent lawless action

Seeing as how the Confederacy was literal traitorship and sedition that led to the deaths of 600,000+ Americans, Its not hard to say that the flag could incite lawless action

Same as the Nazi flag

So that's your justification for censorship and infringing on rights. . . just to be clear.

Umm..

Its not a justification for infringing on rights at all.

Its a clarification of what our rights are and what they are not.

Liar.

You're for the supression of rights.

How authoritarian.

BTW...Do you support, defend or recognize the right of people to burn the flag of the U.S. on American soil, that is guaranteed by the First Amendment of the Constitution?

Just curious...

edit on 17-12-2020 by Erno86 because: added a word

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Erno86
BTW...Do you support or recognize the right of people to burn the flag of the U.S. on American soil, that is guaranteed by the First Amendment of the Constitution?

Just curious...

Of course we do.

We don't like it but we support the idiot's rights to do so.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

Let's think about this for a moment.

A flag is a representation of something else ... like the United States or the Confederacy or Nazi Germany.

And to some extent, we can reasonably infer that those who promote those symbols or defile them are expressing their own true feelings.

Why would we not want to know what their intentions and beliefs are? From a practical viewpoint.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

...on state property...

so what, i cant sell my homemade stars and bars on the steps of the capitol... whatever shall we doooo

RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Let's think about this for a moment.

A flag is a representation of something else ... like the United States or the Confederacy or Nazi Germany.

The same logic used to claim that the confederate flag is a symbol of hate can be applied to the American flag and many other flags. Slavery has existed in most places on earth.

originally posted by: [post=25637758]Gryphon66[/post
And to some extent, we can reasonably infer that those who promote those symbols or defile them are expressing their own true feelings.

Do you infer hatred and racism in the display of any flag where slavery was once practiced/accepted or just the confederate flag?

Is the Chinese flag (where slavery and ethnic cleansing and involuntary organ harvesting and religious and lolitical persecution happens as we speak) a symbol of hatred?

edit on 17-12-2020 by Ringsofsaturn777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420
a reply to: DBCowboy

...on state property...

so what, i cant sell my homemade stars and bars on the steps of the capitol... whatever shall we doooo

RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So if they ban the sale of rainbow flags on state property no problemo right?

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Ringsofsaturn777

holy crap not only would it not be a problem i would throw a party if they did...

Corporate sponsored sexual degeneracy should be banned.

Make Asylums Great Again!!!
edit on 17-12-2020 by smkymcnugget420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   

holy crap not only would it not be a problem i would throw a party if they did...

We all know it would be a problem though..

(post by smkymcnugget420 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   

BTW...Do you support, defend or recognize the right of people to burn the flag of the U.S. on American soil, that is guaranteed by the First Amendment of the Constitution?

man the left really has NO FRIGGIN CLUE how or why the right/conservatives think the way they do.

its totally lost on them, its hilarious.

i bet they are just racist right? dumb inbred racists? yeah that must be it!

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   

oh you mean with the commies.... yeah they would have a freak fest over it and stick their dildos on their foreheads and go march or something.

LMAO yes that is what i meant.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Fraudulent elections do not produce legitimate results.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Yes, any symbol can be a symbol of hate.

To me the Confederate Flag reminds me of my high school mascot. Many who carry Nazi flags and the Confederate flag are members of racist groups because of the message and aims of those groups.

Racism and slavery are not necessarily equivalent.

I have no opinion of the Chinese flag.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Fraudulent elections do not produce legitimate results.

True.

We had a legitimate election that produced legitimate results.

Also, I'm not going to help you spam the thread.
edit on 17-12-2020 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

oh you mean with the commies.... yeah they would have a freak fest over it and stick their dildos on their foreheads and go march or something.

The adults in the room know its more important to say what you want and hurt someones feelings than it is to ban what they say so you don't have your feelings hurt.

You say as you're crying about what other people do and say.

Irony is dead.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   

You say as you're crying about what other people do and say.

Irony is dead.

On PUBLIC property no less...

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Support the action?? No. In fact, I'd be more than willing to tell 'em so.

Support their right to do so? Yes.

You see, I'm capable of recognizing the right to an action I find pointless, and needlessly provocative.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I believe that there is a point for all of us as individuals at which someone else's free exercise of their speech will result in a punch in the nose. I am not advocating for organized group political violence, I'm just saying that the Constitution does not require me not to express my opinion after one of my fellow citizens expresses theirs.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   

There are 'fighting words' rulings the Supreme Court has upheld but most of what people say in public are just mouth noises you can ignore.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Yes, any symbol can be a symbol of hate.

Racism and slavery are not necessarily equivalent.

I have no opinion of the Chinese flag.

I know racism and slavery are not equivalent, the chinese government is guilty of both (along with ehnic clensing, religous and political persecution, forced organ harvesting, forced abortion.. on and on) all right now as we speak.. why do you equate the confederate flag with support for racism but not the chinese flag with support for the things i mentioned?

Many middle eastern countries have slavery right now, governmental persecution of women and gays, religous and political persecution etc. etc. Does anyine who displays those flags necessarily support such nonsense? No.. and neither does displaying yhe confederat flag mean someone is racist.. its straight up idiocy that many ppl seem more concerned about the confederat flag than actual slavery.

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join