It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuomo signs bill banning sale of Confederate flags

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Psilocyborg

Well, number one, you're not an arbiter of what constitutes a "true American."

If you want to deal with the facts, you should know that on December 25, 1868 the President gave all Confederates a full Pardon.

So, no, the Confederate symbols are not per se traitorous or seditious.
edit on 17-12-2020 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: DBCowboy

Seems to me to just be pandering. Do you think any state owned facility was selling confederate flags? Him banning the state from selling them means nothing since they never sold them in the first place. There may have been a civil war site where maybe they had some for sae but it was a northern state so im betting saes were almost non existant. His ban effected no one and is simply to fool the gullible.

Yeah, it’s symbolic really. New York doesn’t support symbols of hate. Is that freedom of expression? Saying that you don’t support those symbols?

People can knit their own flags if they feel the need to hang something on their pole.

Not that I really GAF about the Confederate flag, but can you walk me through the thinking of how the Confederate flag is a "symbol of hate"?

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

Not that I really GAF about the Confederate flag, but can you walk me through the thinking of how the Confederate flag is a "symbol of hate"?

Prepare for... "slavery durr."

(But the Union also supported slavery, slavery existed in the North, Lincoln didnt support abolishing it for a long time etc etc. so why is it only the conf flag you have a problem with).

"Umm durr"

edit on 17-12-2020 by Ringsofsaturn777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Ringsofsaturn777

It's such a blatant hyperbolic knee-jerk reaction and one of the biggest dogwhistles the left can blow on.

I personally couldn't care less about the Stars and Bars, yes, there were political and ideological figures in history that were bad hombres and marched off to figurative and literal battle under that standard.

But there were also poor Southern families who sent their sons off to war, didn't own a slave, gained absolutely SQUAT from the industry of slavery, may or may not even have supported to institution of slavery, but nevertheless risked and lost their lives for those they loved, their towns, their regions, their homes. That flag has significance in remembering their dead ancestors who were swept up into something they didn't necessarily understand or stand behind.

The privilege of writing the history books is afforded the winners. It's facile to say the Confederates were a bunch of evil, treasonous, traitorous scum and they all of them loved and wanted slavery forever, but it's intellectually lazy, and has pretty much become a convenient cudgel with which the urbane Northern liberals use to bludgeon the descendants of confederates from Red states.

To call the Confederate flag a "symbol of hate" is exactly the type of irrational, extremist, rhetoric that is inflaming the discourse in the country.

Signed, a Yankee that is glad the Union army won, and has no interest in owning a Confederate flag, but doesn't GAF if others wish to own and display one.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

So, no, the Confederate symbols are not per se traitorous or seditious.

I disagree. The Confederate flag's reemergence in modern times is purely seditious.

The 1948 Dixiecrat political party extensively used Confederate symbols, including the battle flag, and it contributed to the flag's post-World War II re-popularization.

Segregationists utilized Confederate symbols since both they and the Confederates had similar goals, opposition to efforts to "change the South's racial status quo."

There was no more fitting opposition to desegregation than the Confederate battle flag.

In Georgia, the Confederate battle flag was reintroduced as an element of the state flag in 1956, just two years after the Supreme Court decision Brown v. Board of Education. It was considered by many to be a protest against school desegregation. It was also raised at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) during protests against integration of schools.
edit on 17-12-2020 by Psilocyborg because: No flag no country, that's the rules I just made up

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Psilocyborg,

The left just elected someone as President who opposed desegregation but they are all very worried about the confederate flag

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Ringsofsaturn777

The left didn't elect him, the country elected him.

If the left has all this power you believe it does than just give up. Stop voting. Stop debating.

Freedom is allowing people to live as stupidly as they can unto themselves.

I am against this law.

Let idiots act like idiots. Being a racist shouldn't be against the law.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psilocyborg

The left didn't elect him, the country elected him.

Dont be intentionally dense.

originally posted by: if [post=25637532]Psilocyborg[/post

If the left has all this power you believe it does than just give up. Stop voting. Stop debating.

What on earth are you talking about?

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

To give the Lamestream Media something to report on instead of his dumbass COVID restrictions.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: Spider879

To give the Lamestream Media something to report on instead of his dumbass COVID restrictions.

Facts!

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psilocyborg

Let idiots act like idiots. Being a racist shouldn't be against the law.

Buying or displaying a confederate flag makes someone a racist but opposing desegregation doesnt???

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Hmmm. Sedition means an attempt to overthrow a government or to disrupt the legal functioning of that government, or to entice or encourage others to do so, basically.

Yep, the Dixiecrats brought back the Confederate Battle Flag in a big way. Which law were they breaking?

Yep, as a native Georgian, I know what our flag looked like. I would not for an instant claim that the flag was not a symbol of support for segregation. I would also say that I find the concept of government enforced segregation obnoxious.

So, sedition ... how were the Dixiecrats or the segregationalists seditious? How did they attempt to overthrow the US Government?
edit on 17-12-2020 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Is anyone else understanding that these people are full on Fasists?

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

The "country" didnt elect him........the MSM and the Deep State elected him.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Is anyone else understanding that these people are full on Fasists?

Who, New York?

Nah. Every State tries to impose their own standards on the people. It's part of the whole authoritarian thing.

When they step over the Constitutional line, they are pushed back. System working as intended.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

The "country" didnt elect him........the MSM and the Deep State elected him.

This is not factual it's a belief.

The Electoral College has elected Joe Biden, he will be confirmed by Congress on Jan 6, and inaugurated on Jan 20.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
The Electoral College has elected Joe Biden, he will be confirmed by Congress on Jan 6, and inaugurated on Jan 20.

Tick, uh, tock?

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Fortunately, I only sell Virginia Battle flags.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66 he will be confirmed by Congress on Jan 6, and inaugurated on Jan 20.

That is not factual its a belief.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ringsofsaturn777

originally posted by: Gryphon66 he will be confirmed by Congress on Jan 6, and inaugurated on Jan 20.

That is not factual its a belief.

More of a logical projection but, sure, I believe that since the Electoral College elected Biden that Congressional affirmation and the Inauguration will occur as scheduled.

Techically, however your objection is noted.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join