It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuomo signs bill banning sale of Confederate flags

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Well said sir. Well said.

I may disagree with some speech up to the point of near violence, but I will support that right to piss me off to my dying breath.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Seems to me to just be pandering. Do you think any state owned facility was selling confederate flags? Him banning the state from selling them means nothing since they never sold them in the first place. There may have been a civil war site where maybe they had some for sae but it was a northern state so im betting saes were almost non existant. His ban effected no one and is simply to fool the gullible.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: stormson

Ah, but to them it wasn't treason. Most of the Confederacy, especially the foot sloggers that did the actual fighting, were fighting for the right to self-determination against a Federal govt they viewed as overbearing and tyrannical.

Many of the same reasons the Colonies revolted against the Crown almost a century earlier...

Preserving the reprehensible institution of slavery was only one reason, among several.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Seriously, stop with the lie that the Confederacy was a traitorous government. They had the right to secede, just like all the northern states had and which some had threatened to do years before the war. It was also an illegal and unconstitutional war that Lincoln fought as THEY HAD THE RIGHT TO SECEDE!!!!

Learn your history, dude. As per the laws of the time, they were right. Were some of those laws unjust and in need of getting stricken down? Yes. But they did nothing traitorous, they did what was their right to do so please, stop with the idiocy.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Wow. What a hero. A regular white knight.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Seems to me to just be pandering. Do you think any state owned facility was selling confederate flags? Him banning the state from selling them means nothing since they never sold them in the first place. There may have been a civil war site where maybe they had some for sae but it was a northern state so im betting saes were almost non existant. His ban effected no one and is simply to fool the gullible.

Yeah, it’s symbolic really. New York doesn’t support symbols of hate. Is that freedom of expression? Saying that you don’t support those symbols?

People can knit their own flags if they feel the need to hang something on their pole.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Yeah, I've got the feeling there wasn't a huge demand for Confederate flags in NY. This law, while stupid and all that, is really sorta like the Emancipation Proclamation which freed about 5 slaves. Just words that do nothing and that's why we pay these great people to represent us.

Represent may be the wrong word but that's what they call it.
edit on 12/17/2020 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

OK. I’m confused. How does this possibly clash with the 1st amendment?

It isn’t regulating a religion.
It isn’t stopping anyone exercising any religion.
It isn’t stopping free speech.
It’s not stopping the freedom of the press.
It’s not stopping the freedom of assembly.
It’s not stopping anyone petitioning the government.

While I think it’s a dumb thing to do (why would anyone want to stop anyone buying something, is beyond me), it doesn’t appear to clash with the 1st.

Yes it is stopping free speech. How ever if you read the article the ban prevents them from being sold on State Property. Something that the Governor is within his authority to do.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Yea im nott sure what the big controversy here is. Perhaps alot of people didn't fully read the OP.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 03:19 AM
link   
what I don't understand is why they pass these laws, and in the same breath admit they violate the first amendment. Doing this just costs taxpayers $$ for lawyers and court challenges

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Cuomo signs bill banning sale of Confederate flags

Well that was stupid and unnecessary.... Hey Cuomo!!! ... Covid how about that ! how about addressing the negative impact on our cities crumbling infrastructure, how about tending to NYC rat infested subway system.
m.youtube.com...
Go here for NYC wildlife.^^
Ferfuksakes these Ppl.. 😠
edit on 17-12-2020 by Spider879 because: Because Amazon IPad auto correct Sucks.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
And some are still 4th grade maturity level who feel that calling folks names is cool.
Nuff Said

You mad that I said mean things about Cheetolini? Then you probably support Cuomo too.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
If I choose to fly the stars and bars in honor of ancestors of mine who fought, I assume, bravely at Gettysburg, or Cold Harbor that's my business.l

And it should be none of the government's business if you do.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
How ever if you read the article the ban prevents them from being sold on State Property. Something that the Governor is within his authority to do.

State property is public. Bonus points if you know who owns it.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 06:42 AM
link   
There’s a form of expression they are limiting that’s being proposed in the bill.. that would be limiting free speech. You dont see that because you feel what’s being proposed in the ban you agree with banning.

a reply to: TerryDon79

edit on 17-12-2020 by Rob808 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Is Cuomo going for some kind of woke humanitarian award? Seems wholly unnecessary and a very hollow gesture to give the appearance of some magnanimous proclamation. Seems pointless.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

For an individual to say "I hate Nazi and Confederate Flags" is one thing.

For a State government to enact law that makes displaying such a flag an act of "hate speech" as well as interferring in legal trade?

That's clearly in violation of the First Amendment.

It's nothing more than power creep.

edit on 17-12-2020 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2020 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   
It's almost ironic the loyalty people have for the confederate flag yet claiming to be true Americans.

The confederacy was at war with the union, technically making them anti-american.

Fly a union jack, fly a swastika flag, fly an Antifa or pride flag. I actually prefer jacka55es to wear their ignorance on their sleeves.

This is a stupid bill sheltering soft Americans from stupid Americans for the sake of optics.
edit on 17-12-2020 by Psilocyborg because: If you fancy yourself a rebel, get yourself a revolutionary war era flag

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psilocyborg
It's almost ironic the loyalty people have for the confederate flag yet claiming to be true Americans.

The confederacy was at war with the union, technically making them anti-american.

Fly a union jack, fly a swastika flag, fly an Antifa or pride flag. I actually prefer jacka55es to wear their ignorance on their sleeves.

This is a stupid bill sheltering soft Americans from stupid Americans for the sake of optics.

On point!!!, what's next??? Some one banning the African American flag

No this should not fly over state institutions either but it'd be ok to have one, I really don't care about their flag, I see someone flying it I gave them a wide berth along with a suspicious side eye.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psilocyborg

That is a very shallow understanding of things.. the southern states wanted to secede (and legally they had the right to) they didnt really want to go to war (why would they.. they were hopelessly outmatched). if the North had allowed secession there probably wouldnt have been any war.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join