It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuomo signs bill banning sale of Confederate flags

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

They like something about the Confederacy?

Combined with a gray uniform ... could be someone with a passion for Civil War reinactment?

Combined with a Haralson County HS jersey ... could be a loyal Rebel, yee-haw?

Right.. there are many possible reasons someone might display a confederate flag (so you really cant "reasonably infer their true feelings" (or anything else from the fact that they are displaying it).

edit on 17-12-2020 by Ringsofsaturn777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Useless feel good legislation to try and deflect from the pressure to release the actual death toll in the nursing homes.

Florida did something similar... all that did was cause a run on Confederate battle flags, not from folks that believe in slavery and the south will rise again, just folks that believe if you give the govt an inch they will take a mile.

Eventually it was quietly ignored or stricken from the books dont remember which.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ringsofsaturn777

originally posted by: Gryphon66

They like something about the Confederacy?

Combined with a gray uniform ... could be someone with a passion for Civil War reinactment?

Combined with a Haralson County HS jersey ... could be a loyal Rebel, yee-haw?

Right.. there are many possible reasons someone might display a confederate flag (so you really cant "reasonably infer their true feelings" (or anything else from the fact that they are displaying it).

I accept that is your opinion.

I can reasonably infer their feelings in my three examples.

(post by smkymcnugget420 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
11 pages in and some people still don't care that the 1st Amendment is being ignored by government.

I really am fearful for the future of the country.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's infringing upon the rights of free expression.

No it's not.

You can still buy, sell, own and fly one.

The idea is stop them being sold on state property. It's in the OP.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

Who owns State property?

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

see the difference is you hold up a fag-flag, i roll my eyes. i hold up a confederate flag, i am violently assaulted...not the same.

Keep playing the victim card. You've got at least another four years to convince yourself.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Welp, there goes the whole "1st Amendment".

Like I said, they'll go after the 1st then the 2nd, then maybe the 5th.

Told ya so.

ALBANY — Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a bill into law aimed at banning the sale of “hate symbols” such as the Confederate flag or the swastika on state property — even while admitting the new edict might clash with the First Amendment and be struck down as unconstitutional.

The new law — effective immediately — prohibits the sale of hate symbols on public grounds including state and local fairs, and also severely limits their display unless deemed relevant to serving an educational or historical purpose.

nypost.com...

You forgot to mention that they'll be coming for the electoral college as well... Democrats have been trained to hate the flag so this won't bother them. But once other rights start being taken away and they feel effected by it, maybe they'll open their eyes.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   

No it's not.

Exactly.

Now think about it for a moment. . . . . .

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

originally posted by: KKLOCO

originally posted by: TerryDon79
a reply to: KKLOCO

How are symbols not speech?

Because it’s not speech. Speech has a meaning and a definition.

This is a joke right?

Nope. It’s not speech. Expression, yeah. Speech? Nope.

Well nobody cares what you think. When bLM and antifa were burning buildings down, it was considered freedom of expression just like the pussy hats and costumes and people running naked through the streets at gay pride parades. Now you're saying it doesn't count because it involves the Confederate Flag. You people are ridiculously predictable.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   

No it's not.

Exactly.

Looks like you're arguing with a fence post. Best to go ahead and cut it down so you can go about your way.
edit on 17-12-2020 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
1st Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Hello there yourself!

You're forgiven for mixing your titles. The way things are lately it's really a combo of them at any given time. A veritable Huxley/Orwellian dreamscape.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   

11 pages in and some people still don't care that the 1st Amendment is being ignored by government.

I really am fearful for the future of the country.

Maybe because its not a 1st amendment issue. They didnt say you couldnt fly confederate flags. what they said was they would not sell them which means nothing since i doubt they were selling them in the first place. Meaning nothing changed and this is just pandering by a politician. This tells me said politician is in trouble when they start trying to create accomplishments that mean nothing.
edit on 12/17/20 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   

No it's not.

Exactly.

So uh..
Who owns the property in question?
Pepsi offends me, will they be banning pepsi sales?
edit on 17/12/2020 by shooterbrody because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   

1st Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Exactly and banning any properties under state control from not carrying a product doesnt violate any of that. Its the same as if he decided no one can buy gum at any state property. Would mean you ned to stop off at store before going to park if you want gum.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

No.

Cuomo is stating that it is against the law to sell confederate flags at state fairs on public land.

Government is making a law that says you don't have the right to free speech on state-owned, public-owned land.

I'm no rocket surgeon, but if a complete idiot like myself can see that this is a violation of the 1st Amendment, then I can only assume that anyone arguing FOR this hates the Constitution, hates freedom, and is an anti-American asswipe.

I really can't be any clearer than that.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

anti-American asswipe

I am stealing that!

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

You should read the law again, it also severely curtails the display. Totally a First Amendment issue and Brother of Fredo admitted as much.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join