It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I keep hearing about Reparations

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

i c wat u did there.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Perhaps when that day comes for the great paying up, instead of just handing out fat checks, we could distribute some of it in more tangible ways.

Part of the restitution could be giving every poor, whether black, or other minorities for that matter a completely free Federal ID card to use when voting. (Some say that black people cant afford an ID, hence why voter ID laws are racist and suppressing the black vote). So, give them FREE! Even include an uber fee for those that cant get there. Heck, even pay them for their time!

Another chunk of the reparations could be in the form of tuition payments for education. (Free college!)

Other things could include, housing assistance, utility assistance, monthly payments to help with food purchases, a monthly stipend for basic necessities, vouchers for helping pay for car repairs,

Things like that.

Could even throw in government provided health insurance for those that dont have any. For free.

Another way to make up some of the restitution could be to give black people a hiring preference for government, union, and other well paying jobs.

Sounds like we already do a lot of that already...

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

originally posted by: CryHavoc

No one is responsible for the crimes of their Ancestors.

If your father robbed a bank and gave you the money he stole; would you keep it or give it back?.

Bringing your analogy closer to reality, if my dad gave me slaves then no I wouldn't keep them, I haven't gotten any slaves though, or money for that matter.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostgirl
a reply to: DanDanDat

No. You really need to study the history of 'The South' after the Civil War - it was an impoverished, occupied war zone...

...all the "wealth" of the slave owners was completely gone (they had been financing the war they lost), during the war plantations had been burned to the ground by the Northern armies after they 'requisitioned' everything of use or value in order to feed and supply the soldiers -
- any plantations which survived the war were taken away from the owners when they were unable to raise the money to pay taxes levied against them in punishment for taking part in the war.

There was absolutely no "wealth accumulation" to pass down as inheritances by anyone.

So now we really need to talk about the north giving reparations to the south for destroying all their wealth and property. Sounds fair to me

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Morning, thnx. I was just posting about my native ancestors, than saw your point, and canned mine.

We were...my family...."Indian Traders", 1800-40...Cherokee and Chickasaw....slavery was big business, common among tribes...

? Hv a get dy, L!👍

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
The Anglo-Irish where more "enslaved" in America than any "afro-American" can ever clame. Not to mention the Chinese, that built our railroads.

But? You don't see us wanting "40 Acr and a mule"....
We F'n fought, killed ourselves, out of "servitude". We f'n fought for North and South!

"Reparation", is the cry, for that "sick" lame, and "lazy" person, that hasn't earned it.

Very few "Black Americans" living today, can trace thier "roots", to any "slaves". That is a "fact"!

But many "white" Americans, can.

Jews, Irish,..etc....

It doesn't matter "your skin collor/colour"! Can you do what you said/say, you'd do?

Did anyone get that 40 acres and a mule? If they didn't, they are owed at least that.

As far as anything else. Nope.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tekner

If your father robbed a bank and gave you the money he stole; would you keep it or give it back?.

Bringing your analogy closer to reality, if my dad gave me slaves then no I wouldn't keep them, I haven't gotten any slaves though, or money for that matter.

In the minds of the woke left, that wouldn't matter. Your family had them, you benefited from them, and if you received them from your father even just to immediately set them free, you owned them for those few brief moments. Therefore, you are still triply guilty.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   

My family members emigrated to the USA in the late 1880's. They were all "serfs" over there in Europe. They didn't come here for religious reasons, they came here to escape racial hatred and slavery. We as a family history are so convoluted we have no idea from which country our ancestors were born as birth records dead end from the result of wars and simple hate. We don't really even know our original family name.

Serfdom was the status of many peasants under feudalism, specifically relating to manorialism, and similar systems. It was a condition of debt bondage and indentured servitude with similarities to slavery, which developed during the Late Antiquity and Early Middle Ages in Europe and lasted in some countries until the mid-19th century.[1] As with slaves, serfs could be bought, sold, or traded, with some limitations: they generally could be sold only together with land (with the exception of the kholops in Russia and villeins in gross in England who could be traded like regular slaves), could be abused with no rights over their own bodies, could not leave the land they were bound to, and could marry only with their lord's permission. Serfs who occupied a plot of land were required to work for the lord of the manor who owned that land. In return, they were entitled to protection, justice, and the right to cultivate certain fields within the manor to maintain their own subsistence. Serfs were often required not only to work on the lord's fields, but also in his mines and forests and to labor to maintain roads. The manor formed the basic unit of feudal society, and the lord of the manor and the villeins, and to a certain extent the serfs, were bound legally: by taxation in the case of the former, and economically and socially in the latter.

All we can tell is that we either originated from Austria, Germany, Poland, Croatia or "Other"

So now the "sympathetic" man wants to destroy and reinvent all written history to slant it towards their agenda and classify me and my extended family as privileged?

Those here in the USA from 1500 - 1800 who ran the show also were descendants of the elite in Europe. That includes most plantation owners of slaves whom came here from Bermuda after they trashed the land in Bermuda. They originally were all white collar prisoners who were banished from England and Europe and sentenced to live there live on Bermuda. So they lived to start another day and look at what they did throughout the South. Look it up.

Oh, because of racial hatred and stereotype in good ole New York State my Grandfather, a Chief Design Engineer changed his name. So did my father, his son who became a Vice-President in a manufacturing organization. They were smart men who realized they as their race were despised, trashed and joked about. It was fashionable.

Wrong
edit on 16-12-2020 by Waterglass because: typo

edit on 16-12-2020 by Waterglass because: added

edit on 16-12-2020 by Waterglass because: more typos

edit on 16-12-2020 by Waterglass because: addedv

edit on 16-12-2020 by Waterglass because: added

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Morning, thnx. I was just posting about my native ancestors, than saw your point, and canned mine.

We were...my family...."Indian Traders", 1800-40...Cherokee and Chickasaw....slavery was big business, common among tribes...

? Hv a get dy, L!👍

Manifest Destany
Pls expand And study the painting to receive the raw truth.
And those two nations plus three practiced chattel slavery adopted from their Euro- American counter parts and called the 5 civilized Tribes because of it, as opposed to their ancestors and others who practiced a milder form of it, meant to assimilate strangers in to their various nations when captured , but hey !! , some folks choose to remain Uncle Tom Toms to this day, caping for their white supremacist and Manifest Destiny partners who would eventually screw them , ironically with the aid of the African derived Buffalo soldiers, turned Indian fighters in a classic divide and conquer move.

This work tho a lil dated (1986) is a classic, which detailed the combined struggles of two ppl forming alliances not through any sense of color rationale, to defeat or reject Euro-American domination.
m.youtube.com...
You might wanna check out this clip and go on for more detail on this site below
www.johnhorse.com...

edit on 16-12-2020 by Spider879 because: Fix stuff.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

And owning slaves 100 or 200 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with what you just posted?

Worst. Analogy. EVER.

Owning slaves 100 or 200 years ago was wage theft carried out by the ancestors of a subsection of the US population. Wage theft that resulted in wealth accumulation by those ancestors and passed down to that subsection of the US population as inheritance.

The analogy seems perfectly fine to me.

The benefits of slavery were had by slave owners, free businesses who sold supplies to slave owners, and society who benefited from the produced goods of slaves. This includes your every day citizens and the supply chain of merchants.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Not to mention the fact that, if you go back far enough in history -
Everyone has ancestors who were enslaved by someone. Every civilization from the Sumerians to the Egyptians to the Greeks to the Romans made peoples of the nations (including white European) they conquered into slaves...

...Even within Africa there were Warrior nations that enslaved peoples of the African nations they conquered! Well before the first caucasians ever took a boatload of slaves across the ocean, there was widespread slave trade involving powerful Africans capturing other Africans and marching them off to be sold as slaves to other Africans!

All of the above, just makes ridiculous the idea that any present day people 'owe' any kind of reparations to other present day peoples due to the experiences of their ancestors!

If progressive liberals would put more effort into promoting education about real history, maybe they wouldn't waste so much time and resources on using centuries old problems of the past, as a futile basis for their attempts to make progress in improving the future.

Very true, but is it virtuous not to atone for your own actions simply because others before you have also committed them?

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

I think the biggest argument is of generational wealth. Black folks were treated unequal for a large majority of America 's history and had a sivere disadvantage to building generational wealth.

And that's just one example. Black folk, at least in the past, got more jail time and harsher sentences to their white counterparts in crime.

The list goes on, and the conclusion is that white people have been given a massive head start in the rat race of life.

I don't believe in white guilt of our ancestors but i do believe that there is white privilege. Perhaps reparations would help sooth that feeling of disparity.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tekner

a reply to: DanDanDat

No. You really need to study the history of 'The South' after the Civil War - it was an impoverished, occupied war zone...

...all the "wealth" of the slave owners was completely gone (they had been financing the war they lost), during the war plantations had been burned to the ground by the Northern armies after they 'requisitioned' everything of use or value in order to feed and supply the soldiers -
- any plantations which survived the war were taken away from the owners when they were unable to raise the money to pay taxes levied against them in punishment for taking part in the war.

There was absolutely no "wealth accumulation" to pass down as inheritances by anyone.

So now we really need to talk about the north giving reparations to the south for destroying all their wealth and property. Sounds fair to me

Lol. Reparations for slavers?

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: galaga

originally posted by: murphy22
The Anglo-Irish where more "enslaved" in America than any "afro-American" can ever clame. Not to mention the Chinese, that built our railroads.

But? You don't see us wanting "40 Acr and a mule"....
We F'n fought, killed ourselves, out of "servitude". We f'n fought for North and South!

"Reparation", is the cry, for that "sick" lame, and "lazy" person, that hasn't earned it.

Very few "Black Americans" living today, can trace thier "roots", to any "slaves". That is a "fact"!

But many "white" Americans, can.

Jews, Irish,..etc....

It doesn't matter "your skin collor/colour"! Can you do what you said/say, you'd do?

Did anyone get that 40 acres and a mule? If they didn't, they are owed at least that.

As far as anything else. Nope.

40 acres and mule
unpaid wages with interest
denied the opportunity to buy land as promised.

Not only were their economic opportunities stunted, but also their ability to educate themselves on how to be part of a civilized society.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

Do you have anything to back that up?

Obama didn't issue federal reparations.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlbatrossMaker
Where do you keep hearing about reparations from?

Kamala Harris, Joe Biden, bLM protesters, Portland's Mayor, etc.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

No, the last book in the Bible is called The 'Revelation' of Jesus Christ.

The last book of the Bible is usually called The Revelation of St. John the Baptist. But anyway...

Why are you telling me this? or Which post are you replying to?

The Book is named in it's first verse which is:

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John" Revelation 1:1 KJV.

... additionally, there is hardly anything about John in the the book, so not the revelation of John...

But I was being facetious in my initial reply post, suggesting that you were reading the word "revelation" as the word "reparation".

However, being more serious, America is still racked by racism. That particular 'war' isn't over for a good portion of its current citizens.

It doesn't matter if a citizen's ancestry is American native, South American, Asian, European or whatever. They should all have equal legal and social status, based upon their US citizenship.

The best way forward is to grant equal standing to all citizens under the law. While ever there needs to be unequal laws or even social rules, the situation has not been addressed or concluded.

America which purports to be a bastion of 'liberty' was one of the last countries in the world to abolish slavery and even today has the highest incarceration rate of its citizens and the largest number of incarcerated citizens of any country in the world. Those details are not 'liberty' by any definition.

Just sort out the social and legal issues, reparations are a long way off just now.

edit on 16/12/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Even after slavery was abolished, racism for "colored" folks continued. It wasn't until the 60s that racism was truely addressed. Which still continued in many ways beyond.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Even after slavery was abolished, racism for "colored" folks continued. It wasn't until the 60s that racism was truely addressed. Which still continued in many ways beyond.

You can never address racism, it's a "feeling".
The fallacy of saying "oh we already solved this problem in the 60s (not you particularly, as you touched on it in your closing sentence)" is the presumption that people collectively said "welp, the behaviors that stemmed from my feelings are no longer legal, better stop feeling this way".

That's not how it works at all. 60 years wasnt all that long ago and the thought that people just up and stopped is asinine. With each generation it gets better, fast forward to today and we have people a few who feel like they are being unfairly targeted for no reason other than being white.

Sucks doesn't it? Well, welcome to the club?

You'll deny my experience and say "oh but we fixed it in the 60s, anything after is your fault".

Well either apply the same standards to yourself and deal or put your guilt aside and open a dialog.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

You wanna know the kicker that none of these fine folks are willing to address??

On April 16, 1862, the District of Columbia Compensated Emancipation Act became law.

Pause for a minute to consider how much compensation would have been offered to the people who suffered torture and other human rights abuses and whose labor and families were stolen for generations. The answer is zero.

The federal government compensated the “owners” of enslaved people for their “loss of property.” The people who were freed were not compensated, nor given any assistance for the transition to their freedom.

Emancipation Day is an official holiday in Washington, D.C. Watch a short documentary film from the National Archives about the DC Emancipation Act.
www.zinnedproject.org...

And our cousins from across the pond, namely the Brits payed the defendants of Slave owners right up to 2016.
edit on 16-12-2020 by Spider879 because: Fix stuff.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join