It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I keep hearing about Reparations

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: CryHavoc

Are they going after the African tribes that captured the opposing tribes people during tribal wars who then sold their ancestors to the white man for profits? or does Reparations doesn't go that far back?

I guess we also can't count the black landowners and businessmen that owned black slaves in America...

And if you are going to really get to the meat and bones of it...

In the Carolinas at one point, there were more Irish slaves then there were black ones...

Where are the damn Irish reparations?

Or are they just going to be considered red-headed step-children forever...

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I guess we got selective reparations, lol

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

I guess we got selective reparations, lol

Reparations for all the slaves!!!!

Erm...

Except for those white ones.

Because they were prolly racist.

Kinda funny, is it not?

edit on 15-12-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Yep. I always find it interesting how the MSM and the left who claim to want to do away with racism are always using racist tactic such as stereotyping the victims and villains to fight racism.

Surely people being constantly reminded and classified as victims and villains will help bring everyone closer together and more accepting of each other versus fueling hatred , anger, and intolerance. Sure it will, lol.

Hey, Maybe those White South African Farmers can get them some of that reparations as well down the road?

edit on 261231America/ChicagoTue, 15 Dec 2020 23:26:37 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

No one is responsible for the crimes of their Ancestors.

Not to mention the fact that, if you go back far enough in history -
Everyone has ancestors who were enslaved by someone. Every civilization from the Sumerians to the Egyptians to the Greeks to the Romans made peoples of the nations (including white European) they conquered into slaves...

...Even within Africa there were Warrior nations that enslaved peoples of the African nations they conquered! Well before the first caucasians ever took a boatload of slaves across the ocean, there was widespread slave trade involving powerful Africans capturing other Africans and marching them off to be sold as slaves to other Africans!

All of the above, just makes ridiculous the idea that any present day people 'owe' any kind of reparations to other present day peoples due to the experiences of their ancestors!

If progressive liberals would put more effort into promoting education about real history, maybe they wouldn't waste so much time and resources on using centuries old problems of the past, as a futile basis for their attempts to make progress in improving the future.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
Or are they just going to be considered red-headed step-children forever...

Only the red-headed ones.

originally posted by: DanDanDat
Owning slaves 100 or 200 years ago was wage theft carried out by the ancestors of a subsection of the US population. Wage theft that resulted in wealth accumulation by those ancestors and passed down to that subsection of the US population as inheritance.

Wow - since I've never gotten any inheritance (most of which probably would have been lost because of the Great Depression anyway) I have no responsibility for that.

You know the Economy of America almost disappeared 90 years ago, right? And almost everyone was on an equal economic footing, right? This is a fact.

Also, one of my Ancestors got his citizenship fighting for the Union Army in the Civil War.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat
No, if your great great granpappy robbed a bank and got away with it till now, should you be required to pay it all back, adjusted for inflation of course? That is a more apt analogy. Plus, contrary to retarded belief, a tiny minority of people owned slaves. It wasn't like every white person had a few slaves and #.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I dunno, how far back do we go for reparations? 100 years, a few hundred, 500, 1000? Look far enough back and i'm sure you could find reasons for every person on the planet to pay reparations to someone else. That #'s utterly ridiculous. How about, use your family history as inspiration to do better and stop blaming the past for your current failings?
edit on 15/12/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
My grandparents and great grandparents came to this country and worked their buns off to survive. They worked in the mine which was terrible work for years till they saved money to get land to build a house on and started a farm. They worked hard developing the land to sell veggies and meat to others to be able to have a place to live and buy needed supplies.

I come from a family of hard workers, unlike some of the entitled people today who had a way easier life. I worked on the farm and with my parents cleaning a business when I was a kid. We worked to get ahead, we gained a good reputation for being reasonable priced and honest.

The people crying to give these people reparations are not the people who worked hard to survive, yet the ones working hard will be the ones paying the tab for their reparations. Is there still some inequity? Yes, mostly in the cities....so make the big cities pay. A lot of black people get help to survive and receive the same benefit as whites that are poor. They actually get more money to live off of in the cities than people in the rural areas get because the cost of living is considered in payment of welfare benefits. If the poor blacks apply, they get medicaid and most often get free college because of how the system is set up, a working family winds up taking out loans for part of the college, the poor get free housing and extra money for books and supplies and do not have to get a loan to go college. Some of the highschools in the cities suck, but in schools here, people of color get equal education and if they want to learn and succeed they can do well in life.

Like I said, the people wanting to give these blacks reparations feel guilty because they had an easy life, up here the only ones with half way easy lives are teachers and some working at the hospitals or with government jobs. My ancestors did not take advantage of black people, black people here work just like the rest of us. Most blacks in our area have decent jobs except of course some blacks who peddle drugs to people...oh yeah, they have pretty well paying jobs actually. Make more jobs so everyone can work, start factories and we can make much of the Sheet we need in this country.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   

No. You really need to study the history of 'The South' after the Civil War - it was an impoverished, occupied war zone...

...all the "wealth" of the slave owners was completely gone (they had been financing the war they lost), during the war plantations had been burned to the ground by the Northern armies after they 'requisitioned' everything of use or value in order to feed and supply the soldiers -
- any plantations which survived the war were taken away from the owners when they were unable to raise the money to pay taxes levied against them in punishment for taking part in the war.

There was absolutely no "wealth accumulation" to pass down as inheritances by anyone.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:04 AM
link   
So how much are we talking here, monetarily?

Enough to start up a new nation or cripple an existing one?🤷🏾‍♂️

My message to those seeking reparations:

How do you calculate such a figure?🤔 A base amount plus interest and damages minus all the taxpayer money and government spending on social programs over the last century? Don't think you're just going to skate away without squaring with the rest of the nation. Not a chance.

The whole of America didn't owe you a dime, but nevertheless we supported each other all the same.

The whole of America didn't enslave anyone or was even complicit in the wrongdoings of persons long dead and mostly forgotten.

ALL of us will be owed reparations too matter of fact, if you want the nation to pay twice!! That's where the money will come from; from those that are NOT responsible, keep that in mind. You'd be robbing the futures of innocent people and their families.

Unless of course you go about it with the intention of specifically suing those that were responsible. However, I highly doubt that will net you the astronomical amount that will most likely be sought, no doubt.

Hasn't the government stolen enough our futures, and you think stealing more of it from the people who actually supported you is the way to go!!??

🤦🏾‍♂️

Free financial advice:
Just be sure to ask for PM's or BitCoin for the balance after deductions. Federal Reserve "Debt Coupons" are a joke.

edit on 12/16/2020 by EternalShadow because: eta/edit

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:16 AM
link   

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

-Some guy

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Great points. I've always been for letting people who hate this country go somewhere they think is better whether it's fighting for their lives against rebels and other wild animals in Africa or spending life in prison in China or Russia for being caught with drugs or having their hands and feet chopped off in the Middle East for stealing a pack of cigarettes, or if they're gay, they risk being tossed off of buildings. If it's so bad here, go somewhere else. They can even try their hand in Mexico.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I wonder what they think about William Ellison or any of the other black slave owners that were from South Carolina. They were just a fraction of the black slave owners from the 1800's.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:42 AM
link   
If reparations get paid I don’t want to hear another word about slavery, BLM, white guilt, white privilege or any of the other BS that falls into this category. If you want money for your family being slaves then you lose the social crunch of being black and blaming everyone else for your problems.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   

5% of whites owned slaves. Ben Afflect's ancestors were slave owners, Kamala Harris's ancestors were slave owners. Mine weren't. I'd rather quit my job than pay some ungrateful douchepickle a single dime that they didn't earn while rich people descended from slave owners sit back and point their fingers.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Ats is back to normal post elections.

😂😂

Man alive...

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Because they are obviously racist anyways (did I mention they were white?) and I don't need any actual money because I figured out how to make that myself in America.

You would not make a very good liberal... Actually making your own money, living a good life paying more into the Government then you ever receive...that is just crazy talk...

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:58 AM
link   

If your father robbed a bank and gave you the money he stole; would you keep it or give it back?.

Slavery was abolished

By white people

The stolen money has therefore been ‘given back’ and not ‘kept’

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:58 AM
link   

If your father robbed a bank and gave you the money he stole; would you keep it or give it back?.

My Mothers side of the family was Irish that came here during the famine because they couldnt afford to feed themselves, Heck you could make a strong argument that the Gaelic people were some of the most enslaved people in History thanks to Rome.

I want my check from Italy... Its a stupid analogy, also as mentioned above doubt to much of that slave generated wealth (in the south) survived being occupied.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join