It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nurses Threaten Strike in California

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Well there should be a dozen or so that are union right?

Why aren't they screaming.

And the bargaining units in the op article are SEIU and the SEIU is strong right?

🥶

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Maybe the FLA hospitals are in Democrat areas ? 🥶

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
I'm confused. Conservatives here told us that hospitals are constantly empty and covid is all media hype.

Most hospitals are 😃

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Definitely not the one I'm talking about. Its pure Republican central.

No doubt the democrats are playing politics but so are the republicans. The nurses and patients appear to be the collateral damage.
edit on 551231America/ChicagoTue, 15 Dec 2020 18:55:33 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: interupt42

Well there should be a dozen or so that are union right?

Why aren't they screaming.

And the bargaining units in the op article are SEIU and the SEIU is strong right?

🥶

I cant speak for them as I have no connections with them. I just stated from what I have seen in a republican controlled city from ER doctors and nurses.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I lived in Florida for a while and don't remember any Democratic areas.

I guess you could say Miami is Democratic but it seems even that is shifting.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU....is ALOT of CA nurses have been let go or furloughed because the hospitals are UNDER capacity ( how? i dont know) . I know this for a fact.

and a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I thought California got all the monies, and every other state is welfare state, why don't they buy some from their friend China?

^___^

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: daboxfan
WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU....is ALOT of CA nurses have been let go or furloughed because the hospitals are UNDER capacity ( how? i dont know) . I know this for a fact.

Well maybe this is why they are going to strike, they let go of all those nurses and now expect the remaining ones to do triple the work..

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
I thought California got all the monies, and every other state is welfare state, why don't they buy some from their friend China?

^___^

The dweebs will say "California is the 5th largest economy in the known universe and is awesome you racist for saying anything against California!"

*imagine froth and spittle at the corners of my mouth*

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   
My mom was a nurse, my daughter is now. I appreciate them. That being said, I know they are making bank in this situation. Yet I see on the news about the kind hearted people giving them free meals and stuff. How does this help nurses ? So they are too tired to cook I guess. There’s plenty of people who have not made a dime during the shutdown...or lost everything...but they go to the local food pantry for canned goods.
Misplaced generosity. IMHO

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Ah HA !! 🦇

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   

The article has a quote -- "The call to picket follows frustration in contract negotiations for four bargaining units over workplace safety and staffing"

"Staffing" must be the "lack of" 😎

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: xuenchen

I guess you could say Miami is Democratic but it seems even that is shifting.

As cuban born immigrant I always found it strange that Miami was democrat having such a large population of cubans. Most cubans are republicans because they escaped a country that they were dependent on the gov't and saw how that ends and also the wet foot dry foot issue among other things.

I know its anecdotal evidence but I have only come across one cuban who is not republican and they weren't born in Cuba or first generation.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I have some old T-shirts. Perhaps they could be cut up and used as masks. That's how all this works right? As long as you have a "mask" on, you are doing your part. I just want to do my part. it makes me feel better.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 07:19 AM
link   

but.....but....but....humanity has philanthropists ! AND as luck would have it, I hear they take a keen interest in medicinal type issues ! AND double dibs as luck would have it, the whisper is a good few of them couldn't stop garnering even more ridiculous levels of wealth.
Now I'm not saying your pants are on fire, but " c'mon man " .... your story don't seem to match with CNN's narrative & live on air personal references of said philanthropists....( or 'philfy's for short ) !

'jus' sayin' :-)

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   

The hospitals are under capacity because of the lock downs. The hospitals have delayed or deferred most of the procedures they would ordinarily do that keeps them full -- the so-called elective surgeries and the like. And on the the other end, people are so scared of COVID that they are delaying treatment for themselves as long as possible, so there are a lot of undiagnosed illnesses and injuries percolating in the population right now until people can't put them off any longer.

Those are things hospitals are normally full with, but they need the space for the COVID surges that haven't quite materialized to the point expected, but we keep getting assured they're coming ... just a few more weeks, few more months, if we visit grandma, if we have Thanksgiving, if we drink at a bar, if we go to church, and on and on and on.

One would figure that sooner or later people would stick their heads out of their bunkers and realize that we've been at delayed Armageddon now for a whole year. How much longer do they really think it takes for a disease to wash on over?

All I can say is that I thank God I got my shoulder done last Thanksgiving instead of trying to brazen it out or I'd be beyond miserable right now.
edit on 16-12-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

A persistent problem for nurses is that most people think all nurses do the same job.

I have worked in several specialties over the forty plus years since I left university, starting with shock trauma, and presently as a Forensic Nurse.

But I could not walk into an ER or ICU today and provide safe, or knowledgeable, medical care for the patients.

Nurses have basic training which we all are pretty darn good at, but almost all have a sub speciality that separates them into areas of need, and allows them to provide a higher level of care.

You would not want a doctor that specializes in care of feet, to be the doctor providing care for your kidneys. It is the same with nursing.

They have a shortage of nurses that specialize in emergency and critical medical services. Those nurses have always been few, and now it is creating an increased problem. The problem has always been there.

As I mentioned earlier, I have spent years working and fighting with corporate for fair practices and fair pay for nurses. I worked at this through upper management. I never worked with unions.

There is a complex kabuki dance that has to be performed to get corporate to see that when it comes to nurses, it is very easy to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, corporate is usually blind to anything that does not reflect green.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Charliebrowndog

Don't worry. Once they socialize our health care, every nurse and doctor will belong to a public employees' union and those contracts will matter more than any doctor patient relationship, just like the contract matters more than the student in the public schools.

While you are on your whine, didn't Trump promise the USA world leading health care for all in his previous election campaign?

You want to make it about politics - like everything - this is another failed election promise.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I spent roughly 8 years in a major Pediatric Healthcare system and can say that I met both Doctors and Nurses that were truly amazing examples of human beings. In opposition to that I also met Doctors and Nurses that were some of the most cranky, arrogant, god complex type people ever.

The following line is not in anyway implying that Doctors or Nurses are smarter then the other but rather just an analogy that many people believed.

In those 8 years my experience showed me that if Doctors are the brains of a healthcare system then the Nurses are the hearts and nervous system of that Healthcare system . Both are needed in addition to Support, IT and sadly patients to make it all go.

Outside of that, I have been of the belief that the highest level of leadership , Republican or Democrat, have failed the country in the approach taken to COVID which results in scenarios like the OP. If you constantly take half-measures then you are only going to get half-results.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join