It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you all feel about people using Dr. as their primary honorific title but are not a doctor?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore

Other than that, its none of your damn business if that particular person chooses to use it or not.

Do I call them doctor because they want everyone to do it? That is more of the point... Does that seem the norm for you? Also why get pissed, if you don't like the subject don't post...its that simple...lol

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Xtrozero

Do we have a problem with
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr?

Do we always say Dr. ?
I know I have..

The funny part here is typically no one called him doctor outside of a professional environment at best. 10,000s of articles that refer to him just as Martin Luther King Jr. so I'm not sure your point.

His profession goes more towards Reverend as a title...

edit on 15-12-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   

It is not your place to determine someone else’s Doctorate is weak.

Until there is some kind of “editing” — it remains as it is. You earn it, it’s yours to do as you wish.

When there became a shortage of nurses, a new plan was developed. A numbered, layered system, based on certified courses, education levels, experience, etc. Today, most Registered Nurses are administrative.

If it seems (by some), too many, low level, PhD’s are running amuck, those some ones can initiate a leveled number system.

Just prepare to duck to avoid projectiles being thrown at you.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Yes, there are differences. A doctorate degree through a correspondence course or receipt of an honorary Doctorate degree, does not necessarily confirm the same level of prestige.

This is pettiness. "Prestige".

What's the MD without the trial blazing / ground breaking research of the PhD?

Wow its comical, reminds me of the suits that like to throw their titles and credentials around during conversations but forget that those that work with em know they dont know # - lucky for you you knew a guy.

In the end it's funny though, you never see people that actually hold these credentials waste time with such meaningless bs.

edit on 15-12-2020 by AScrubWhoDied because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Dbl
edit on 15-12-2020 by AScrubWhoDied because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

Yes, there are differences. A doctorate degree through a correspondence course or receipt of an honorary Doctorate degree, does not necessarily confirm the same level of prestige.

Wow its comical, reminds me of the suits that like to throw their titles and credentials around during conversations but forget that those that work with em know they dont know # - lucky for you you knew a guy.

In the end it's funny though, you never see people that actually hold these credentials waste time with such meaningless bs.

Unless you've been in an environment surrounded by people with advanced degrees you wouldn't understand. They know who's worth it and who's not letters after the name aside.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Unless you've been in an environment surrounded by people with advanced degrees you wouldn't understand. They know who's worth it and who's not letters after the name aside.

Yeah those people tend to not be very petty.

A STEM PhD holder knows # all about education and a good ones knows he does - so he keeps his mouth shut about "merits" of the other

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   

My point clearly went above your head...

A Ph.D in certain fields commands a lot of respect. A EdD is generally not as well respected. Again, the issue is that the media is throwing around DR. Jill Biden as if it equates to a medical degree. Hardly anyone without a medical degree is often referred to as Dr. outside of a professional environment.

Again, does anyone say Dr. Albert Einstein?

The media is trying to elevate Mrs. Biden's academic credentials by constantly referring to her as Dr. and nothing more.

There are far more accomplished people with academic doctorates that are rarely ever referred to as Dr. in media.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

It is not your place to determine someone else’s Doctorate is weak.

It is very much my place to have an opinion on anything I want... You can agree or disagree...that is your right too. LOL
I was putting a level of perspective of what someone here that said "she worked her ass off for it" and the reality is that the BIG part of here doctorate wasn't really that big of a project even compared to many BS degree homework assignments. If my son can have a 4k paper due in a week do you think a 14k thesis was some tremendous achievement?

If it seems (by some), too many, low level, PhD’s are running amuck, those some ones can initiate a leveled number system.

Just prepare to duck to avoid projectiles being thrown at you.

True, but EdD is not a very hard thing to accomplish...Maybe in top universities it is, but my point is there are many other easy paths to get a EdD that really is not much more than a box filler... Highest form of education? EdD box checked...
Jill Biden's path was one we would suggest was an easier path to get one....

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   

My point clearly went above your head...

A Ph.D in certain fields commands a lot of respect. A EdD is generally not as well respected. Again, the issue is that the media is throwing around DR. Jill Biden as if it equates to a medical degree. Hardly anyone without a medical degree is often referred to as Dr. outside of a professional environment.

Again, does anyone say Dr. Albert Einstein?

The media is trying to elevate Mrs. Biden's academic credentials by constantly referring to her as Dr. and nothing more.

There are far more accomplished people with academic doctorates that are rarely ever referred to as Dr. in media.

I didnt miss your point. The word "prestige" you used shows it for exactly what it is:

Pettiness.

In the end, any PhD holder has earned the right to be referred to as "doctor", your feelings be damned.

Albert Einstein is dead. If he were alive and preferred to be referred to as doctor, only the petty would complain. Everyone else would oblige the man wishes and move on.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I'd say it's more than that. They aren't trying to elevate Jill Biden so much as they were trying to make people feel better about Joe Biden. The whole doctor thing didn't appear in the press until Joe's mental state started to be questioned. It was then that the press started to be referred to as "Dr." Jill Biden. I think the press did it to make people feel like she was a medical doctor precisely because they knew most people would think exactly that.

Since most academics tend to not use the title doctor at all, the assumed that without any explanation of the credential, people would think Jill as a doctor of medicine, and no doctor of medicine who loved her husband would subject a mentally failing man to the stress of running for president. Right?

So it was a tactic meant to soothe those fears more than anything else. Now they're stuck in it, and they have to defend it. So to question it is, of course, misogyny and everything else.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Oh oh, looks like Honorary Dr Biden who recently solved the economic virus crisis, world peace, starvation, and cancer before even taking office is not going to be happy with you. You just ruined your social credit score my friend.

edit on 331231America/ChicagoTue, 15 Dec 2020 16:33:00 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

However, if Albert Einstein were alive, no one would question his right to have earned the title. He was unquestionably brilliant.

You cannot possibly think the same of Jill Biden.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   

However, if Albert Einstein were alive, no one would question his right to have earned the title. He was unquestionably brilliant.

So using this logic, all MD holders in the US are unquestionably brilliant, despite most doctors here sucking at finding issues that arent readily apparent.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I feel like in my profession (software), degrees are just window dressing; a token of credentials to aid in your quest for employment.

I have an M.S. in CompSci, but in NO WAY do I feel that elevates me above my peers. I've met folks in this industry with much less "diploma prestige" than myself, who I feel are brilliant, and in fact meet or exceed my ability to understand algorithms and write code.

By the same token, I've met and worked with PhD's that have plenty of academic credentials, but aren't anymore productive or intellectually gifted than greenhorns fresh out of undergraduate study.

I never judge anyone by what school they attended and how many degrees they hold, but how they approach problem solving and their creative capacity. That's what I find so fantastic about this field: in *most* companies/settings it's all about merit and demonstrable talent. By and large, nobody gives AF about your educational background. How can you contribute to solving problems right now? Innovation is a "what have you done for me lately?" metric.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   

So using this logic, all MD holders in the US are unquestionably brilliant, despite most doctors here sucking at finding issues that arent readily apparent.

Good lord, you haven't been paying attention to the thread at all have you? Or you're now being intentionally obtuse.

The difference here is between title and profession. For the MD, doctor is the profession as much as the title, and it's likely why PhDs tend to not use the title of doctor to avoid that confusion in most circumstances. The profession most PhDs serve in for academia is professor, and you'd be more likely to find them using that the way doctors use doctor.

And it has also been covered that most PhDs do tend to use doctor in certain professional circumstances. Those have been covered too, but they don't go around calling themselves doctor for the most part the way the press has referred to Dr. Jill Biden.

As for Einstein, he could have gotten away with it as someone at the unquestioned pinnacle of his discipline. "THE" PhD among all the rest. Again, had you read the thread which you seem to have ignored, you'd know we have covered this.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

I've at some point been a software developer also and this is my exact experience.

This is why the premise of this thread is silly to me.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Oh oh, looks like Honorary Dr Biden who recently solved the economic virus crisis, world peace, starvation, and cancer before even taking office is not going to be happy with you. You just ruined your social credit score my friend.

Dr. Biden and both him and Jill say "yes?" lol

I think Joe should stay clear of anything education as his lie was rather big in that area and it cost him a chance to run for President in the past, but today I guess it was no big deal.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I go back to doctor is more incline to be used in reference to a profession and not to only a degree. I'm sure Einstein was called Doctor Einstein in his professional environment more times then not while hardly every in the general public.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I was unable to get a college degree, of any kind, due to a physical condition — unfound/undiagnosed. No one could figure out what was wrong with me. I was basically seasick (at least part of it). Seasickness is not conducive to stuffy classrooms.

I admire anyone who had the fortitude to stick with it until the end.

But, more so how they apply it.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join